• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• visvamitra

• lapis

• Aquaria

Arrived via the link in another thread about this hard-to-obtain ink.

I'm probably wrong, but it looks similar to Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo. Or maybe Tsuki Yo is closer to the R&K Verdigris.

Petrol looks like a pretty ink, but these days I look to KWZ for pretty (and saturated) colors.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I haven't got Tsuki Yo, but Petrol is a lot greener than all the green-blue/blue-green inks I have. I'd go as far as saying it is pretty much just dark green.

My bottle arrived today; the box, wrapped in a layer of bubble-wrap inside a manila envelope, was pretty smooshed but the bottle itself was ok.

I must say, I'm impressed. I liked the color immediately, there was no "hmm, give it a day or two to grow on me". It's similar to Miruai but darker and bluer. And I'm tired of fighting with Tsuki-yo, trying to get it to look good - Petrol stomps it out of the gate.

After the disappointment (for me) of Dark Lilac, this was a very pleasant surprise.

Edited by chromantic

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I decided I did NOT want the pen or ink, even bought a Lamy Al Star in Ruthenium, in lieu of the pen; yet after all discussion I ordered the ink from Lemur Pens. It arrived & I decided to use a Lamy 2000, Steel with OBB nib............& WOW! I really like the ink, which is a big surprise because Blue/Green is NOT my chosen use for either of the colors, maybe it is because it looks so "Dark," which it should because of the paintbrush nib, but I am glad I weakened.

What is even nicer is, this is only the third fill for the pen & I had disliked it with both the previous fills. It seemed more like a paintbrush & I would have thought I finally met my match for a nib that was TOO broad. I had ordered the pen from Germany to get the OBB nib & that made it more disappointing. Perhaps the pen was made for Lamy ink or perhaps I just lucked out. A pen that had been left aside for more than a year has become a pleasant writer with this ink!

I still don't think I care about the Petrol pen, the Steel Lamy seems to be a very nice "match" for this very "cold" ink; it should be a pleasure to use during the Summer heat.

Great review, super useful as always; particularly the comparison to Verdigris, I can't believe how close they look, until you see the non shaded areas.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Been using the Petrol in a Petrol Safari with a Fine nib for a couple of weeks now....works and looks great...I really enjoy it...just the availability is incredibly disappointing.

I'm selling my Petrol cartridges in the classified section. Thanks

Edited by J-F-O

• 1 month later...

My daughter surprised me with a bottle of Lamy Petrol that she purchased when she was in Tokyo. It is a dark, saturated ink and seems fairly well behaved. It looks a bit lighter in my medium point Lamy Petrol FP, but is much darker and more complex in my 1.3 stub nib.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

In the pens I have tried it in Petrol came out almost black. It was more like on the paper towel image in the review. Did not matter if the pen had a dry nib or a wet one.

• 3 weeks later...

since I already have the KWZ Northern Twilight.

Isn't that also a LE ink?

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

I haven't tried it yet and am aware that I may be too late to find any now, but I am loving my L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Equinox No. 6 and I think it's quite close to the colour of Petrol. Maybe I should just be happy with what I've got and not buy any more ink. :D

Did I really just say that? :o

Yes, you did just "say that;" but we all have & we will not hold you to it!

I went for "a good spell of time" avoiding the special edition Sailor inks when they became "MORE" limited than usual; I enjoyed inks from several other makers & suffered no harm. BUT, after a few really unusual of the Sailor inks started to be reviewed here, I gave up & resumed my normal behavior.

I think it is good to try new inks, while enjoying our old favorites; some of us just have less willpower than others & after receiving two boxes from La Couronne du Comte yesterday, which included two of the new Diamine Anniversary inks, Golden Honey & Espresso, I am not sorry for my lack of willpower. You deserve a thank you for introducing those inks to us & as long as I read about new inks, I will probably be tempted. The "Honey" ink in an Italic Broad nib, who would want to miss THAT?

Yes, you did just "say that;" but we all have & we will not hold you to it!

I went for "a good spell of time" avoiding the special edition Sailor inks when they became "MORE" limited than usual; I enjoyed inks from several other makers & suffered no harm. BUT, after a few really unusual of the Sailor inks started to be reviewed here, I gave up & resumed my normal behavior.

I think it is good to try new inks, while enjoying our old favorites; some of us just have less willpower than others & after receiving two boxes from La Couronne du Comte yesterday, which included two of the new Diamine Anniversary inks, Golden Honey & Espresso, I am not sorry for my lack of willpower. You deserve a thank you for introducing those inks to us & as long as I read about new inks, I will probably be tempted. The "Honey" ink in an Italic Broad nib, who would want to miss THAT?

Aww thank you. :) Actually I forgot to mention that the new Diamine Dark Forest is also similar to Lamy Petrol, so maybe I could live without buying Petrol after all?

Aww thank you. :) Actually I forgot to mention that the new Diamine Dark Forest is also similar to Lamy Petrol, so maybe I could live without buying Petrol after all?

Only, if I am supposed to live without trying the elusive, revered MB Racing Green, despite having Mr. Thiel's replica bottle. (And I will always be tempted to see the "real thing," convinced it is different.)

I haven't tried it yet and am aware that I may be too late to find any now, but I am loving my L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Equinox No. 6 and I think it's quite close to the colour of Petrol. Maybe I should just be happy with what I've got and not buy any more ink. :D

Did I really just say that? :o

Petrol is a bit different. It is much darker than Equinoxe 6 - almost black in some pens, but with lots of sheen. I am not sure yet if I really like it.

There are lots of Petrol doppelgangers out there. Robert Oster's River of Fire is also similar. If you don't want the sheen, Franklin Christoph's Midnight Emerald is also an options, particularly in a fine nib. Sailor Yama-dori might also be considered a fair replacement. They may not be exact, but they are close.

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

This ink should be Permanent available, it has a lot of good reviews :thumbup:

Indeed it should! This has quickly become my new favorite dark ink (along with Kana-cho). Sorry, Miruai.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I wrong to think it's fairly close to Noodler's Airforce Blue Black? (Which is really a dark dirty green-teal). Minus the sheen, it looks super similar to what I see with my Noodler's in in person, from various review photos so far.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”