I Got A Patrician Black Set And Have A Coupe Of Questions

Lam1

Last week I was browsing through the bay of evil and came across a Patrician Black set for what I thought it was a great price (I never considered having them, since they are so expensive, so I don't really follow their market price). I have been smitten by Waterman's vintage nibs lately, so when I saw a "Buy it Now" option, I gambled on it. I say gamble because there were no photos of the pen uncapped :wacko: and the price wasn't cheap that it wouldn't matter if it had the nib or not ($200). It turns out the pen had the proper nib, but it needs a little work (as can be seen from the photos below, the tines are about 1.0 mm apart). Other than that, it is in excellent shape - it has plenty of micro-scratches, but it should clean up nicely. So, I'm as happy as can be :bunny01: .

I usually fix my own pens, but I don't have a nib block so I'll send this one to a professional. Any suggestions of someone that does nib work and also the cometic work (it is really just polishing) necessary? (I would rather not have to wait 8 months too.)

This pen is the celluloid version. I've saw some people saying that the celluloid is more uncommon than the hard rubber, but Richard binder says the opposite. So, which one is the most uncommon? Not that it matters, the pen is for my use, its just a curiosity.

Finally, I never had a nib that needed to be adjusted before for being a little sprung (it doesn't seem much, but...). Will this restrict too much the capabilities of the pen?

Thanks.

Photos of the pen, as I received it, below (sorry for the poor phone pics, I'm really lazy when it comes to take the camera out :) ).

post-120237-0-87129400-1491974283_thumb.jpg

post-120237-0-21588200-1491974488_thumb.jpg

post-120237-0-82235000-1491974969_thumb.jpg

post-120237-0-16820100-1491975018_thumb.jpg

post-120237-0-86103900-1491975731_thumb.jpg

post-120237-0-51026000-1491975745_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lam1

• PaulS

• Mauricio

• Left FPN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In itself that material looks lovely.

It is really nice. I didn't quite know what to expect, since I had never seen a black one, and i am very happy with it.

Nice pen, and a very valuable one indeed. Yes, that nib will need attention or it will affect its writing performance.

Enjoy your new Patrician pen!

Thanks.

I actually decided to fix it myself. The nib is almost back to normal now, just need to play with it a bit more. After that it is just a matter of figuring out what to use to polishing it.

It is really nice. I didn't quite know what to expect, since I had never seen a black one, and i am very happy with it.

Thanks.

I actually decided to fix it myself. The nib is almost back to normal now, just need to play with it a bit more. After that it is just a matter of figuring out what to use to polishing it.

A jewellers rouge cloth is handy for polishing all sorts of things. Autosol or other metal polishes are available in most hardware stores.

if you're happy to live with some degree of surface imperfection, then don't go more intrusive than coarse polishing compound, then fine and finish with a final polish grade - all water based - this will transform the surface and create a shine, but may well not remove all the years of use.

Once you start down the road of grit sizes in the region of 3000 and up, there will obviously be a noticeable loss of material, with the consequent problems of partially disappearing imprints etc., which is not what you want - so ultimately it's a trade off and compromise.

Very nice set by the way. Remember to mask off the metalwork. :) Think the name of the water based polishing compounds is 'Micro-Gloss' - made in the States I believe.

A jewellers rouge cloth is handy for polishing all sorts of things. Autosol or other metal polishes are available in most hardware stores.

Thanks for the suggestion, Force. I did use a Sunshine cloth for the nib and it is looking beautiful now. I'll look into Autosol too. The furniture I'll leave for last, but it should be easy since it is in very good condition.

These Watermans are really taking hold of me lately, I just can't get enough of them (but this is something that I imagine you understand well :D )!

if you're happy to live with some degree of surface imperfection, then don't go more intrusive than coarse polishing compound, then fine and finish with a final polish grade - all water based - this will transform the surface and create a shine, but may well not remove all the years of use.

Once you start down the road of grit sizes in the region of 3000 and up, there will obviously be a noticeable loss of material, with the consequent problems of partially disappearing imprints etc., which is not what you want - so ultimately it's a trade off and compromise.

Very nice set by the way. Remember to mask off the metalwork. :) Think the name of the water based polishing compounds is 'Micro-Gloss' - made in the States I believe.

Thank you, PaulS. Great idea the Micro-Gloss. I had heard of it before, recommended by someone that repairs pens, but had forgotten. I will get one. And I'll make sure to mask the metal parts!

Do you think Novus or Simichrome are safe?

I will avoid anything more aggressive on this one, as it only has micro-scratches really, nothing more serious. The imprints are crisp and I want to keep them that way (the photo above doesn't show it well).

I'll not be able to fix it right away (still need to order the proper sac - #18 is about the only one I don't have at home :( - Micro-Gloss, etc.), but when I get it done I'll post the results here.

regret I've not used Novus or Simichrome, so unable to comment other than to suggest that those products that might contain silicone/wax will coat your celluloid and provide the appearance of a shine, whereas water based micro polishes leave nothing behind and depend for their success on removing some material in order to create a shine by means of a smoother surface. Am sure there are folk here who use Renaissance Microcrystalline Wax Polish and am sure they swear by it. Have to say in truth I don't know if either or both of the above products contain silicone - just really clarifying how they work. I now prefer to us Micro-Gloss rather than the Renaissance Wax - although some advantages of the latter, allegedly, is that it prevents finger prints from showing, resist liquid spillage and freshens colours - so they say :unsure:

Edited by PaulS

Thank you for clarifying the difference between the products, PaulS.

I'm trying to locate a place that sells micro-gloss. I'll get one and try it (I have several pens to repair).

When I finish the Patrician (which will not be for about 3 weeks - no time for it), I'll make sure to post pics here.

• 2 weeks later...

I found micro gloss on a UK site called pendragons!

Personally, I use 12,000 grit micro mesh to polish, and then finish off with a rub of micro gloss. Be sure to tape up any imprints before you start. There are videos of this on YouTube

Simichrome works well to really clean out a polish the nib. Since the nib is gold, it won't wear off any plating. I would not use simichrome on and of the plated furniture (not even micro gloss) as it will take the plating off easy! For the body too, I would use microgloss and not simichrome - the former is water based while the latter has strong chemicals.

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Thank you, Siamackz.

I did find Micro Gloss in a store here in the US and have one on the way to me. It was a bit cheaper than ordering from UK.

I'm very glad that I asked the question here, otherwise I probably would use Simichrome or Novus. For the nib and furniture I use a jewelers cloth (can't remember the name now), which works very well.