The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Vista, All The Gory Details

safari vista j herbin rouge hematite gunk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:18

Just a little fun with a macro lens... I cleaned that pen with Rouge Hematite on the left a few days ago. The other one's got Diamine Poppy red.

fpn_1491963503__img_2937a.jpg

Edited by pseudo88, 12 April 2017 - 02:19.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sponsored Content

#2 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:23

I didn't know Poppy Red could develop that much crud :yikes:

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#3 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,195 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:13

I always worry about my pens sections not being clean but, I guess it is true that red ink is the most staining. I would love to see pictures of your cleaning process.
Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#4 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 15:22

I always worry about my pens sections not being clean but, I guess it is true that red ink is the most staining. I would love to see pictures of your cleaning process.

It's a particularly messy process with Rouge Hematite as it leaves pink stains on my hands which last for days, it would take me a while to produce photos as all my Vistas are currently inked but it's basically:

1. Return any remaining ink to bottle.
  2. Wash section with running water.
  3. Remove nib and feed, dismantle feed (it's made up of two pieces).
  4. Look at "slits" in the bigger feed piece, to see if they are clogged; which is invariably the case for me with Rouge Hematite.
  5. Use the finest x-acto knife or similar and dislodge crud from slits, without making them any wider.
  6. Put feed back together, put feed and nib back into section, re ink pen.

There are other intermediary steps only necessary for clumsy people like me, such as "put feed pieces and nib away so they don't go down the drain" and "don't cut yourself with knife!".

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#5 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 15:29

I didn't know Poppy Red could develop that much crud :yikes:

I actually had not noticed that before, what with Rouge hematite producing it in such quantities. Maybe if I did a time lapse it would turn out to be a distinct life form, like slime moulds...

B. Russell

#6 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• 1,521 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 20:25

I use nitrile disposable gloves for cleaning my pens. The good thing is you can use them several times as hygiene and mechanical wear is no an issue. Protects from ink stains and gives more grip.

#7 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 21:24

How about using an ultrasonic?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safari, vista, j herbin, rouge hematite, gunk

Sponsored Content

|