Early Parker Id Help

spacecoastpenny

Hello All,

I am trying to ID this pen so I can find a blind cap for it. (if anyone has one, please let me know)

I picked it up about 6 months ago and I am just getting around to working on it.

It measures

4.25" = capped (without blind cap)

5.75" = posted

Nib Markings - Parker Fountain Pen, 14K,Made In Canada, 45

Barrel Markings - Parker Fountain Pen, Pat. 6-30-91, 1-3-05

Thanks in Advance for your help.

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spacecoastpenny

• PaulS

• FarmBoy

• pen lady

off the cuff I'd have thought finding a blind cap for what is probably a Sterling filigree f.p. from c. 1908 - 10, would be rather like looking for hen's teeth.

The earliest Parker patent mentioned on your barrel - 30th June 1891 - refers, apparently to 'an improved type of over-feed' - and although I'm rather clueless on what this means it may well indicate a split feed - one half on top of the nib and the other half below.......... this was a not uncommon design of feed around the 1910 - 20 period. It occurs on some early M.T. e.ds. from New York - of course I might be completely wrong.

As for the slightly later patent on your barrel - 3rd January 1905 - Parker described this as 'for a spear-head feed' described by the company as "my improved instrument". Apparently Parker had discovered that a drop of ink would form in the point of any fountain pen suspended over paper. The spear-head feed was Parker's answer to this problem, as it (the feed) collected the excessive ink and thus prevented blobs.

None of which helps you to find a blind cap, but possibly of some interest. Filigree f.ps. were common around this period, and there are examples showing in Andreas Lambrou's books where the design of blind caps can be seen - mostly appearing simply as a truncated shape, probably in BHR. If you are unlucky and fail to find one, I suspect you could get one made without much difficulty, even without having a physical pattern to work from. Very nice pen by the way :)

Ref. 'Fountain Pens Vintage and Modern' - Andreas Lambrou - 1989.

Edited by PaulS

PaulS, Thanks for all the helpful info. I thought about having one made if I can't find one.

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

It seems that almost all Parker pens from this pre first war period were simply designated by a model No., rather than a name, as became the habit with later pens. The irony is that it seems it was usual for this No. to be placed ........................ on the blind cap :(

I have a friend with a mini lathe and he is darn good with it.

We are going to give it a try. Any suggestions for what material I should use?

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

I have a friend with a mini lathe and he is darn good with it.

We are going to give it a try. Any suggestions for what material I should use?

Black hard rubber.

If you don't care about the imprint on the end almost any Duofold blind cap will give you a starting point.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I got to thinking I am not sure I am up to this one, So I have decided instead to sell the pen...thanks all for your help...

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

To help identify the pen (useful when creating a listing to sell it) check out Parkerpens.net. Look in the "What Model is my Pen" section, I think it might be helpful. Does your pen have a clip or was it a ring-top?

Pen Lady, It is a Ring Top. Thanks for the heads up on Parkerpens.net

I have a copy of Collectible Fountain Pens by Glen Bowen.

In the early ads I saw similar pens to mine.

The number system included number like 43, 46 and such.

My nib is stamped with a 45, might indicate the model number!

Farm boy,

I tried some of the blind caps from my Doufolds, nothing fit perfect by close.

I am guessing the cap on mine will be longer and less concave on the sides.

Does Canada pens and US pens have the same model numbers?

spacecoastbanner_FP.png