The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Asking Stupid Questions

townsend cross barrels caps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OPKS

OPKS

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:56

The most basic, and probably most asked introductory question you all get is, "What is involved with making your own barrels and caps." I know there are a myriad topics that are included like material desired, time needed, cost, machining and tools, technical ability, etc.

The reason I'm asking is because I've recently become the recipient of four vintage (1970's) New Old Stock Cross Townsend Nibs. I can't buy the barrels and caps and don't really want to sell the nibs, but they are otherwise useless. A Moderator suggested I take a look at this forum and I had no idea folks created their own stuff. So, I'm intrigued. Where does one find the necessary dimensions, etc. to attempt such an endeavor?

OPKS

Attached Images

• 86070S.JPG
  • 86074S.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 JulioPB

JulioPB

Julio

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 15:42

You can buy Townsend rollerballs and swap the sections, 

#3 perfectstranger77

perfectstranger77

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 21:17

I'm not yet into this stuff but maybe these can help you:

https://www.pennstateind.com/

https://www.exoticblanks.com/home.php

Check it out.

Edited by perfectstranger77, 13 April 2017 - 22:21.

#4 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:11

OPKS, I had similar situation. I went to the thread that lists the pen makers who are willing to do commissions. You are looking at $170-250 to have the bodies made for you. I was surprised. I have some great custom nibs that I would love to build pens around, I just wasn't that motivated. I thought about doing this for myself....BUT I am mechanically incompetent and thus cannot do this sort of work.  If you are competent with a lathe and all that good stuff, I'd suggest you make those into beautiful pens.  The custom pens are absolutely worth the cost when you get something special that is exactly what you want.

OR read up on Franken pens - now this is pretty darn cool too. You take different parts and put them all together.  _InkyFingers did a Frankenpen of a Sheaffer nib on a TWSBI body.  I'm not sure about the style, but it's finally a body that can hold enough ink to support that nib.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#5 OPKS

OPKS

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:34

Frankenpens! That's pretty cool. I'll look that up. Now I have to go scour the second-hand stores and see if they have castaways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: townsend, cross, barrels, caps

Sponsored Content

|