Rhodia Webnotebook Line Separation?

Mercian

Hi,

I am seeking a definitive answer to what I thought was a simple question.

I would like to know what the distance is between the ruled lines on the pages of an A5-sized Rhodia Webnotebook with lined paper.

I am confused, because the Goulets in the US say one thing in answer to this question, but The Writing Desk here in the UK say another...

The Goulets say that it is 7mm.

The Writing Desk say that it is 6mm.

FWIW, the line separation on the two Rhodia *pads* that I have is 7mm, but then those are not Webnotebooks, so looking at the paper in them can not be said to answer my question either.

Now, I would be surprised if Rhodia were making one paper for US consumption and another for European/UK consumption, but then I was surprised to find out last year that LAMY would sell bottled Dark Lilac ink in the US but not in Europe, so what do I know?

Anyway, in order that I may find out which retailer's information is correct (for 'Webbies' sold in the UK), I would now be very grateful if any of you out there in FPN-land who have a UK-bought A5 'Webbie' with lined paper, would measure across ten lines in it, and then tell me whether that distance is 70mm, or whether it is 60mm.

My thanks to you in advance for your answers :)

Cheers,

M.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mercian

• twdpens

• inkypete

• pepsiplease69

Top Posters In This Topic

To make things even more complicated, according to notemaker.com.au it is 8mm.

If I might be permitted to essay a comment in 'Strine':

Another country; another 'measurement'/'specification'...

...that'd be bloody right, wouldn't it?

Maybe it's just that those French fellows at Clairefontaine are deliberately doing this in order to have a right good laugh at the anglophones' expense?

mini-postcard-exc.png

I just counted the lines in the photographed page on the Aussie vendor's website - I know, I know; I need to Get Out More, eh? ;) - and I learned that their figure of 8mm must be wrong!

There are 28 ruled lines on the page in that photo - so that's 27 gaps.

If each gap were 8mm, the gap between the top line and the bottom line would be 216mm.

A5 is only 210mm 'tall'.

Within that total page 'height' of 210mm, there are also margins to allow-for above the uppermost ruled line, and below the lowermost ruled line.

A line separation of 6mm would make the ruled area of the page cover 162mm - which would leave 48mm for the margins at the top and bottom of the page. The margins in that picture don't look like they are that much bigger than the lines to me.

If the line separation were 7mm, then the gap between the top line and bottom line would be 189mm, which would leave 21mm for the top-plus-bottom margins.

So, the picture seems to me to be much more likely to accord to a 7mm line separation :)

Still, I would much prefer to get an actual measurement of the distance across ten lines in a UK 'Webbie' than to place my trust in the accuracy of my counting and mathematical 'skills' at what is for me 2.15 a.m. local time :D

Can anyone help?

mini-postcard-exc.png

For the record, I have an A5 Rhodia Webnotebook purchased from The Writing Desk six years ago. The ruling is 7mm precisely—ten lines, 70mm.

fpn_1491886655__1494-01.jpg

fpn_1491886671__1494-02.jpg

fpn_1491886684__1494-03.jpg

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

For the record, I have an A5 Rhodia Webnotebook purchased from The Writing Desk six years ago. The ruling is 7mm preciselyten lines, 70mm.

Apologies for the confusion. The line spacing of the A6 lined Rhodia WebNoteBook is 6mm, the A5 lined WebNoteBook has a line spacing of 7mm.

HTH,

Martin

Thank you both very much; it certainly does help :)

The fact that the paper is ruled differently in different sizes explains everything.

If I were Clairefontaine I would print the line ruling on the notepads' removable card labels, e.g.

"Ligné 7mm Lined"

...but then I have Yorkshire blood.

I.e. I am a Joyless Pedant (from a long line of Joyless Pedants), and was trained from an early age to try to anticipate and pre-empt likely requests for basic information.

A gallic shrug was never an acceptable answer chez nous :D

Edited by Mercian

mini-postcard-exc.png

Here in the US the A5 webbies also have a ruling size of 7mm.

I do the same as Bookman and measure the the span taken by ten rows of text and do a quick division in my head. This takes care of fractional ruling sizes as well (eg. If 10 rows of text take up 6.5cm then my ruling size is 6.5 mm)

I used to obsess about ruling sizes as well. After all, the one tangible way to improve your writing (aside from practice) is to quantify and control how "crowded" or "sparse" it looks. Provided you have a lot of uniformity in the way you draw your letters, you can go pretty dense and still be legible and then end up with a pretty impressive looking piece of manuscript.

To ultimately break my dependence on the manufacturer's choice of ruling size I decided to 'live off of the proverbial grid'. I now almost exclusively use a fairly translucent paper (Tomoe river) and I produce my own guide sheet to place under the page I am writing on. This gives me ultimate control over margins and ruling size.

Sorry for the long winded post.