The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Different Kind Of "ink Miser"

thyer china ink bottle design

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 00:47

TB2KfRhi5pnpuFjSZFIXXXh2VXa_!!3066501617

Yup, I also don't know how that would work.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Sponsored Content

#2 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:03

You could then directly fill an eyedropper-filled pen. Daytone ink (from India) has something similar, not as an option, as the only way to get ink from the bottle... it works for me because most of the pens I use are eyedroppers. But I can't use the Daytone ink in my piston fillers or converter pens.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#3 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:17

OH so it's just a nozzle? I had the impression that it was some sort of vacuum whatever contraption. (Google Translate was unhelpful)

On an unrelated note, have you tried Daytone's Dark Grey? I've been looking for a swab/writing sample of it for ages because I heard that it's a blue-black but can't find (a clear) one.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#4 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• 3,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:47

That's what it seems like to me.

And no, I've never even heard of Daytone's Dark grey. But I do have their Blue black. It is a real blue black, no green or teal undertones.

#5 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:32

Thanks! My quest continues..

#6 martinbir

martinbir

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:00

Are you sure it is writing ink? It could be endorsing ink used for refilling stamp pads, I remember that coming in little plastic bottles with a nozzle.

#7 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:38

IYAM the worst part is the cork, literally, which can soak up and contaminate the ink. That might be a good incentive, however, to get rid of the ink....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#8 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• 3,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:39

Daytone is fountain pen ink and comes in a bottle with the only opening a nozzle.

I don't know about this one...

#9 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:46

This is also for fountain pen use, according to the manufacturer/seller.

#10 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 19:00

Has anyone tried it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#11 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:36

One of my students bought this along with the Thyer pen.

It's not any special vacuum system, just a nozzle with a blunt syringe type of metal tube.

It's designed to work with the ink it is sold with (the bottle in the picture) which doesn't have a traditional bottle cap.

You're supposed to poke a whole in the foil cover of the ink bottle, screw the wide end of the nozzle on, then turn the whole thing upside down with the syringe end in the converter or barrel of an eyedropper.

Note that the nozzle is designed specifically for the ink bottle it's shown with, so it probably won't work with any other inks unless the threads are the same.

End result was disastrous for my student. I got a phone message showing her hands covered in ink. :doh:

I think it's just a gimmick.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#12 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:42

One of my students bought this along with the Thyer pen.

It's not any special vacuum system, just a nozzle with a blunt syringe type of metal tube.

It's designed to work with the ink it is sold with (the bottle in the picture) which doesn't have a traditional bottle cap.

You're supposed to poke a whole in the foil cover of the ink bottle, screw the wide end of the nozzle on, then turn the whole thing upside down with the syringe end in the converter or barrel of an eyedropper.

Note that the nozzle is designed specifically for the ink bottle it's shown with, so it probably won't work with any other inks unless the threads are the same.

End result was disastrous for my student. I got a phone message showing her hands covered in ink. :doh:

I think it's just a gimmick.

:yikes:

#13 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:55

Oh yeah, and if you buy one of the Thyer pens, they include the nozzle/syringe system and a 5ml bottle of ink for free.

You'll be able to try it out yourself.

#14 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:43

Oh yeah, and if you buy one of the Thyer pens, they include the nozzle/syringe system and a 5ml bottle of ink for free.

You'll be able to try it out yourself.

OHH. I didn't know this. Will definitely post about my experience with it here. I'm dead set on getting a few of them and the 992 you posted about.

#15 clazbill

clazbill

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 14:13

I don't know anything about the ink makers discussed here but the filling system reminds me of the "Eye Dropper Bottle" that is an option for Franklin Christoph inks.

I've seen them use it at shows.  Seems they made them for show use, filling customer's newly bought pens and keeping their demo pens full of ink.  Enough people asked to buy a bottle with the eye dropper attachment that they started making them a standard option.

#16 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 14:31

I don't know anything about the ink makers discussed here but the filling system reminds me of the "Eye Dropper Bottle" that is an option for Franklin Christoph inks.

I've seen them use it at shows.  Seems they made them for show use, filling customer's newly bought pens and keeping their demo pens full of ink.  Enough people asked to buy a bottle with the eye dropper attachment that they started making them a standard option.

Wow, those Franklin Christoph bottles are interesting! They would be perfect if they had a syringe point at the end so you could also refill converters and recycled cartridges. Thanks for the information.

I think that's the idea Thebai was going after with this new gizmo, but they did a poor job with the point where the nozzle connects to the bottle. I'm looking at it right now and the nozzle is supposed to snap (not screw) onto the ink bottle. It's also a soft silicone-like substance instead of hard plastic which is probably supposed to make the seal work. If I get a chance next weekend I'll try it out with the sample bottle and post pics.

The Thebai idea could be perfected if they made it a screw on nozzle with an O-ring inside to seal and then made it in a standard size for the most common ink bottles. Once my Chinese is good enough I just might email them about this. :P

#17 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:11

The other day I was in a rush to try out an eyedropper pen and didn't want to waste any good ink in case the fill was a fail, so I tried this unique delivery system.

It works ok for eyedroppers and for refilling cartridges, but the main problem is that the clear rubber part that the little syringe attaches to designed to only fit the little glass ink bottle that it came with. Also, once you remove the foil cover from that glass bottle, the cheap little cork is the only way to reliably reseal the bottle which, as another poster above mentioned, would contaminate the ink and problem leak eventually. 

To use this contraption, you have to affix the nozzle part to the rim of the glass bottle, install the syringe part at the end, turn the whole thing upside down and then repeatedly pinch the sides of the nozzle in order to move the ink from the glass down into whatever you are filling. It's kind of like milking a tiny I guess haha. 

If all that works, then you have to wash out the nozzle and syringe part because some ink stays in there. 

Overall it's a cute but highly impractical design. Nothing beat a long blunt syringe that can get down into the corner of an ink bottle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thyer, china, ink bottle design

Sponsored Content

|