Parker Victory Barrel Insrcription's

Ricky2011

But I like all the English nibs. Right or wrong for a given pen model if in case they fit (and write) well.

Being a person who loves to write, as opposed to a collector, I tend in this direction also, and the nib on my Victory is the best among all my pens, soft and wet, yet able to produce the narrow line I need for my small handwriting.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricky2011

• PaulS

• mitto

• peterg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/icQAAOSwCfdXo52d/s-l1600.jpg

Currently on e-bay. Seller says it dates from 1944. Interesting that the Victory is the only pen being produced by Parker's at that time

quote ................................ "Interesting that the Victory is the only pen being produced by Parker's at that time​" ................. only in the U.K., of course.

Can't agree with mitto - I certainly don't like 'all' English nibs - some are terrible for writing ...........but those that are good are very, very good. :D

Just to add to the debate, Penol also made Parker Victory's. The first models were Populears, followed by the anglacised Popular and finally the Mk V Victory with the inscription:

PARKER VICTORY

REG.TM.O. actually a square with the dot in the middle position, so a date mark?

- M.I.D.-

The nib is marked

PARKER

14 K

D

Didn't penol make copies of the MKIV a later edition.

Rick

Member of the Writing Equipment Society.

As far as I know all the Mk IV's were Popular's. There is a question mark over whether any Mk V's were also branded as Popular's.

As said, I can't interpretate the date markings on my pen to know when it was produced.

The two Populars I bought recently do not have date marks, although one has a five pointed star above the imprint. Both are AF. One (with the star) has two rings and a Challenger style clip while the other has the more tapered Duofold aerometric cap with arrow clip (which is a couple of mm shorter)

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd update you all on my victories

post-79370-0-74940800-1508698381_thumb.jpg

Rick

quote ................................ "Interesting that the Victory is the only pen being produced by Parker's at that time​" ................. only in the U.K., of course.

Can't agree with mitto - I certainly don't like 'all' English nibs - some are terrible for writing ...........but those that are good are very, very good. :D

:)

Perhaps the English nibs that came my way are all the ones that you mention in the end part of your post.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I guess there's good and bad in all varieties of nibs Khan - I wasn't being too serious, as hopefully you understood :) My opinion might be that those collectors who have a preference for post WW II Parker pens are being influenced (whether they are aware of it or not), by the fact that Parker have been responsible for more 'nails' than most makers. Is it fair to say that Europe as a whole was more in love with flex nibs than the other side of the pond.

As a general question to be thrown open to all commers ............ which maker of nibs/pens might be thought of as having been responsible for a greater output of flexible nibs in their pens ...... for the U.K. might it have been M.T./Swan ?

I have just received two English made pens and both have nice springy (bordering on flex) nibs. One is a NOS dark grey P45 Arrow (all plastic body) with a 14k B nib and the other is a Conway Stewart 85 with a stubbish medium looking No.3 nib.

I would agree that Europe produced more flex nibs than USA and Japan especially in the post WWII era. In North America I would consider Cansda as a special case as I often see even (some) Vacumatics made in Canada sporting flexy nibs. Again I would agree that M.T SWAN was the leader in producing flex nibs in the UK. In the US I assume it was Waterman in the early part of the 20th century. Others with different experience may share their.

Khan M. Ilyas

Not so sure U.K. made 45s were ever called 'Arrows' - but since you're a Parker expert then I will defer to your knowledge :) Again you've probably forgotten more about C.S. than I know, but my experience is that the incidence of flexible nibs is low.

Oddly my favourite flex nib is on a 1920s Waterman g.f. 52 Smooth - you can see it as the last but one pen on page 46 of the Davis & Lehrer book - it looks to have what appears as '90' on the barrel butt - but could be letters GO - not sure. In general though I can't seem to find the same qualities in Waterman nibs - perhaps just my bad luck.

Sorry to have deviated from Victory's.

Edited by PaulS

Not so sure U.K. made 45s were ever called 'Arrows' - but since you're a Parker expert then I will defer to your knowledge :) Again you've probably forgotten more about C.S. than I know, but my experience is that the incidence of flexible nibs is low.

Oddly my favourite flex nib is on a 1920s Waterman g.f. 52 Smooth - you can see it as the last but one pen on page 46 of the Davis & Lehrer book - it looks to have what appears as '90' on the barrel butt - but could be letters GO - not sure. In general though I can't seem to find the same qualities in Waterman nibs - perhaps just my bad luck.

Sorry to have deviated from Victory's.

Parker 45 all plastic body aka Arrow aka CT. The good thing about these plastic body 45s is that these don't have the 4 finger clutch in the cap that result in deforming / squeezing the section.

Yes, the SC are not known for flexy nibs but apart from the hardest of hard DURO nibs one sometimes find springy nibs on these pens with little to moderate tine spread.

And yes, sorry for the deviation.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what this is, a Mk III/ IV?

Parkerpens mentions a Mk IV in green marble with a single broad band, like this, but mine also has button fill, rather than AF and a clear section in the section. The nib may be a replacement. It is marked W and seems to be a little too wide for the feed.

The barrel has been polished to within an inch ... There is only the faintest marking which says Victory but nothing else. My guess is that it is Canadian rather than English

post-42253-0-39813300-1509991334_thumb.jpg

post-42253-0-43851000-1509991364_thumb.jpg

post-42253-0-96212900-1509991375_thumb.jpg

Edited by peterg

• 4 months later...

It is interesting to see three difference in bandless, single band and wide band.

Rick

• 1 month later...

I believe that from the MKII to the MKV there are 3 different imprints.

MKII- Share an imprint with MKI's prob indicating earlier production. Then the imprint seen to move on to another imprint which is shared with the MKIII. The MKIV imprint seems to be the same as the MKIII but uses the date .1 e.g and then the imprint changes again for the MKV.

Not sure on the Danish victory but would suggest it shares similar set up to the MKIV.

regards

Rick

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

imprints on my MKii's

Grey-1947

Green- 1946 & 1947

Blue- 1946 & 1947

Black- 1946 & 1947

post-79370-0-97432100-1526495413_thumb.jpg

Rick

Great. Interesting variation of imprints. Thanks for sharing, Ricky.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would say that I have a Mk IV which is button (rather than AF) fill. Otherwise it is standard Mk IV. The barrel is marked

PARKER VICTORY

MADE IN ENGLAND

and the nib,

PARKER

14 K

PEN

N

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Peter.

Yes i think it features on MKIII as well.

I have just added a black bandless MKI to my collection

regards

Rick

Rick