Parker Victory Barrel Insrcription's

Ricky2011

Hi

It is documented about the differnces between marks feature- blind cap, brass button or AF filler, Ball end clip or VS style clip.

What I have noticed though is the barrels say. manly mk2,3 & 4.

Parker victory

REG TM

MADE in England

Parker Victory

Made in England

Is this a major issue, production error, or simply a frankenpen of different victory parts?

regards

Rick

Rick

Member of the Writing Equipment Society.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricky2011

• PaulS

• mitto

• peterg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine says

Geo S. Parker

Parker Victory

Reg TM

I understand that it is a Mark 1, and I have read (on Parkerpens.net) that Made in England was added in 1945.

I think the earliest of the Mk. 1 models - those without cap rings - have just PARKER over the word VICTORY, and this was split by REG. T.M., - would also agree that it seems ENGLAND was added in 1945, so anything with ENGLAND won't be earlier than 1945. These have a ball-ended clip.

Then there are the same features, but a slightly overall longer body, and with the addition of a single cap ring and GEO. S. PARKER is added to the barrel imprint, but no ENGLAND, so still a Mk. 1 apparently, and pre 1945. These too have a ball-ended clip.

Tony Fischier says all models up to 1946 should be called Mk. 1 - this might seem to be a bit too all-embracing since there were differences within this period, which makes for a little confusion. But I wouldn't dare to argue with that man, and ENGLAND can therefore legitimately appear on Mk. 1 pens up to 1946.

the Mk. II is apparently most easily identified by two cap rings - but there are other differences .... one of which being that Mk. II appears streamlined giving a more slender appearance - also made in solid colours only, and clip screws and blind caps same colour as the body, and it seems Mk. II lasted only from 1946 - 47. This too had a ball-ended clip, and was the last model to have the deeper clip screw.

​Can only assume I don't have one - none of my VICTORY pens looks streamlined. Pens made for less than two years have a tendency to be uncommon.

The Mk. III - 1947/48 ...still keeps the ball-ended clip, has the much shorter clip screw - two cap bands still, and the much longer blind cap, and by implication - there's no mention of an A/F - should still have a brass button. The imprint will obviously include MADE IN ENGLAND and would imagine it has PARKER VICTORY on one line - but can't be certain of this.

Somewhere along the line, the imprint seems to lose the words GEO. S. PARKER - whether that occurred on the Mk. III or Mk. II I've no idea, but it certainly doesn't appear on the Mk. IV.

Mk. IV - 1948-52 - has a face lift insofar as this seems to be the introduction of the A/F, plus the streamlined smooth clip without ball. Pens should say MADE IN ENGLAND, with PARKER VICTORY on one line, but appear not to show GEO. S. PARKER. I have three of what I assume are Mk. IV pens, and each has a date code to the right of the words REG. T.M. This Mk. seems to be a common model, and two of mine show a 2 (assume 1952) and a 1 (assume 1951). Presumably date codes don't appear earlier than the Mk. IV, but I'm really not sure how accurate that comment is.

The Mk. IV is the last of the 'old fashioned' style VICTORY pens - from 1952 they changed to become the aerometric filler jobs with the well known feather style clips.

Not that it matters, since there's no way you couldn't recognize a Mk. V Victory, but some examples show PARKER VICTORY on one line, others have the words on two - some examples include REG. T.M., other don't - and most have date codes.

Personally, I never feel I quite understand the classification and dating of this model - unfortunately the book is of limited help, and Tony Fischier's marvellous web site is a little lean on barrel imprint information.

It's a great model to collect - there are some very nice examples out there, although some seem a lot less than common. Would like to see an example of a streamlined Mk. II if someone has one to show. :)

Tony Fischier's Parker Penography web site - for thickies like me - is a wonderful source of information on all Parker pens, and it's to Tony Fischier that I'm indebted for much of the above information.

Feel free to correct any of the above, where mistakes are mine - always better to be accurate rather than clever. :)

Edited by PaulS

Thanks Paul,

Was just going by what Tony's site and Adamon's previous posts.

Rick

My MKII- Black, Grey, Green & Blue.

post-79370-0-98427000-1492423453_thumb.jpg

Rick

Hi Mitto,

According to tony's parkercollector site

The MkII , III & IV came in Black, Grey, Green, Blue & Burgundy.

I have only ever seen the Mk iV burgundy.

best wishes

Rick

Rick

Very nice collection by the way and good plating on the clips - green is my favourite - always reminds me of British Racing Green on cars. Never too sure about grey - I wonder if it's affected by light - more than the darker colours - it sometimes ends up looking a tad olive.

Do these Mk. II pens look more streamlined than the others - difficult to see just looking at the screen perhaps. Do you think they do Ricky, compared to others?

I see no one criticized my earlier words - I get worried when they don't - I know I'm not that bright, there must be some errors in there somewhere.

Hi Paul,

The only critism is that in an earlier post on the topic. Adamon compared the mkII & III. MkII button fill - MKIII the AF.

At the time I did not think to look at the barrels.

Yes the grey does seem to fade to dark olive. It does look more streamlined but only slightly.

regards

Rick

Rick

Nothing is ever simple - there seems to be some conflicting information regarding the earliest date for the Victory, so really now not sure about dates for this model.

In the Shepherd/Zazove Duofold book, they comment ............ "The Parker Victory Pen, a sub brand, was the only Parker model made solely at Newhaven" ...... and if you combine that comment with the fact Parker didn't start production at Newhaven until 1941 - then it seems safe to say there won't be any Victories made prior to that year.

In Andreas Lambrou's book 'Fountain Pens Vintage and Modern' he says .......... "It is believed that during the 1930s both Duofolds and Victories were produced in a wide range of finishes for the U.K. market." On page 129 Mr. Lambrou shows three Victories for which he provides a date of "c. 1935".

Some of the earliest Victories were made in some great colours, but these now seem to be scarce....... various marbled and herringbone colours.

Nothing is ever simple - there seems to be some conflicting information regarding the earliest date for the Victory, so really now not sure about dates for this model.

In the Shepherd/Zazove Duofold book, they comment ............ "The Parker Victory Pen, a sub brand, was the only Parker model made solely at Newhaven" ...... and if you combine that comment with the fact Parker didn't start production at Newhaven until 1941 - then it seems safe to say there won't be any Victories made prior to that year.

In Andreas Lambrou's book 'Fountain Pens Vintage and Modern' he says .......... "It is believed that during the 1930s both Duofolds and Victories were produced in a wide range of finishes for the U.K. market." On page 129 Mr. Lambrou shows three Victories for which he provides a date of "c. 1935".

Some of the earliest Victories were made in some great colours, but these now seem to be scarce....... various marbled and herringbone colours.

I have a marbled one.

Hi Guys,

Here is mine at the moment.

Just aquired a silver one with wide cap band- will photograph later.

regards

Rick

post-79370-0-77502100-1492872363_thumb.jpg

Rick

lets what else is out there!!

your collections please.

Rick

assume those are all Mk. I Victories - regret I don't have anything you've not already shown - do you mean a silver lizard or the silver helical striped pattern? - whichever it sounds very attractive. Looking at the colours for England for 1941 - 63, I don't know if in theory there exist Victories in all these 30 something colours/patterns - the lapis and some of the herringbone ones are very attractive. I have a couple of the lined rose silver and burgundy, so maybe that was a common finish.

Victories seem to be pulling in better prices on ebay - good if you're a seller, but not if you're a collector - oddly it's not a pen that I see in the wild very often.

Hi Paul

its the silver helical striped pattern. so far could only find it with the wide cap band.

Is the burgundy pearl the same as the red one.

thanks

Rick

Rick

usually, when I have something it means it's common :D Am assuming your silver helical pattern is a NS (New Style from 1946) pen with the wide cap band - sounds a choice piece, and look forward to seeing it.

Light and dark burgundy pearl and black must have been a fairly common colourway during the 1940s - maybe more so in the Duofold range - I have a few.

Sorry, I'm not that well up on the colours - if you have the book can you indicate which 'red' you mean Ricky. In addition to Parker, I also collect British and some Continental pens, so tend to spread the brain cells rather wide and not too clever at any one of the them. Should probably stick to one make.

Hi Paul

here is the pen!!

regards

Rick

more wanted

post-79370-0-73941700-1493490916_thumb.jpg

Rick