The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wing Sung 698 Piston-Filler

wing sung piston-filler chinese

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 14:08

:yikes: !!!!!

But I thought this time I would have a nice piston-filler with no major issues at a great price. : (( Damn it.

Never had the inner cap come out on either of my 698s.  Purchased them about six months ago and use both daily.

Sponsored Content

#82 woleizihan

woleizihan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 16:20

I think they made some modifications to the pen and add the choice of a medium nib. Not sure about what's actually done and I still have no problem with my old ones so probably I'll never figure out.

#83 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 21:30

I have a Wing Sung 698 that has terrible inkflow.

I tried fixing the nib and even replacing it with a Pilot nib.  

The feed looked poor with an inconsistent channel so I replaced it with a Pilot Feed.

I flushed out the pen several times.

Has anyone else had this happen to them with a 698?  I honestly haven't gotten the best inkflow out of 698's for some reason.

Sometimes feeds are not cut all that well and a flushing doesn't dislodge particles.

I've had a few old wing sung 590's that refused to flow correctly until I took a double edge razor blade (not a box cutter, a REAL safety razor blade) and ran the blunt edge along the feed channel. Sometimes they're not molded 100% correctly and a little channeling fixes it right up.

#84 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 23:06

Sometimes feeds are not cut all that well and a flushing doesn't dislodge particles.

I've had a few old wing sung 590's that refused to flow correctly until I took a double edge razor blade (not a box cutter, a REAL safety razor blade) and ran the blunt edge along the feed channel. Sometimes they're not molded 100% correctly and a little channeling fixes it right up.

I use a set of cheapy feeler gauges for the same  function. But without the sharp edges...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#85 BillPorter

BillPorter

A retired professor and old pool player

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 22:18

I have a couple of these, a demonstrator and a white one. Both with gold trim. I have had them for 7-8 months and haven't noticed any problems with either of them. A couple of months ago I was losing interest in the pen hobby and decided to sell off most of my pens. I sold some "nicer" pens such as a Visconti and some Watermans. It may be worth noting that I sold two TWSBI Eco pens but kept my two Wing Sung 698 pens. 

I have enjoyed reading through this thread and now find myself considering buying one or two more 698s.  :D  :D

Excuse me if a link for this review was posted earlier in this thread, but I did not notice it if it was. I liked this review, especially when it showed how to disassemble and re-assemble the pen. https://www.youtube....h?v=o3ygf2rsNN8  In this review, reverse writing with the 698 fine nib (not the extra-fine) was pretty smooth. When I tried reverse writing with my demo 698 it was quite scratchy but a couple of minutes with 12000 micro-mesh and it was definitely smooth enough for pleasant writing.

Edited by BillPorter, 31 December 2017 - 01:12.

#86 kulms

kulms

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:19

Wow! what a nice pen, i should probably get one for school since they are so cheap

#87 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:02

I use a set of cheapy feeler gauges for the same  function. But without the sharp edges...

Works just as good. I just mention the razor blade because feeler gauges are less common.

#88 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 14:19

Fingers crossed for a 2018 postable version!

#89 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 22:08

Fingers crossed for a 2018 postable version!

Something like the TWSBI mini. Or the Kaweco Sport but as piston-filler.  :vbg:

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#90 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:48

I just ordered one of the 14k nib versions, $45. I figured that as much as I use my 698 and just how right it feels in my hand, I could justify it.

I too would love a postable version and broad/italic nib offerings (I know pilot italics fit, I'd like a broad or double broad though, but I did order a couple of the medium nibs since they're selling those on their own now) 

#91 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:28

Yes, I have just ordered a pair of Mediums and a pair of Fines. I figure I can use them in my 698, 695 or Caliarts Ego. If I could find a pair of Broads without having to buy a pair of new Pilot 78Gs to go with them, I would, and make myself a nice fine stub nib.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#92 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 14:29

Yes, I have just ordered a pair of Mediums and a pair of Fines. I figure I can use them in my 698, 695 or Caliarts Ego. If I could find a pair of Broads without having to buy a pair of new Pilot 78Gs to go with them, I would, and make myself a nice fine stub nib.

Since the 78Gs cost around 17-18€ each, I figured I'd try a Pilot Pluminix nib for my 698. The Pluminix are 7€, so it's a safer investment. 

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#93 DavionWest

DavionWest

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 00:04

I just ordered one of the 14k nib versions, $45. I figured that as much as I use my 698 and just how right it feels in my hand, I could justify it.

I too would love a postable version and broad/italic nib offerings (I know pilot italics fit, I'd like a broad or double broad though, but I did order a couple of the medium nibs since they're selling those on their own now) 

Could you tell me how the 14k one works when you get it, I'm thinking about buying one.?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wing sung, piston-filler, chinese

Sponsored Content

|