Wing Sung 698 Piston-Filler

visvamitra

on ebay they advertise a .38 nib 698 and a .5 nib on a 698. which is closer to the Pilot metropolitan medium nib? I am not interested in changing nibs. I want to buy a pen with the nib size closest to the Pilot Metroploitan nib.

Under the Mercy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• visvamitra

• KellyMcJ

• woleizihan

on ebay they advertise a .38 nib 698 and a .5 nib on a 698. which is closer to the Pilot metropolitan medium nib? I am not interested in changing nibs. I want to buy a pen with the nib size closest to the Pilot Metroploitan nib.

Definitely go with the 0.5. I have several 698s and a Pilot 92 with a medium-fine nib. The 0.5 is very close to the medium-fine on the 92. The .38 is closer to Pilot fine.

If I prefer a Pilot Metropolian Medium Nib, shoulf I get the 698 in the .5 or the smaller nib?

Thanks

Go with the 0.5 which is pretty much the same as a Pilot fine-medium.

Visvamitra,

You mentioned in this thread that you would come back in 6 months and let us know how it was holding up.

How is it?

Visvamitra,

You mentioned in this thread that you would come back in 6 months and let us know how it was holding up.

How is it?

I'm not the op but I think I can also comment on this. I have it inked for more than 6 months most of the time and carry it around pretty much all the time and it's still working perfectly. Scratches of course but no crack no leak no plating lost and the Wings etching also shows no wear.

Visvamitra,

How is it?

I'm not the op but I think I can also comment on this. I have it inked for more than 6 months most of the time and carry it around pretty much all the time and it's still working perfectly. Scratches of course but no crack no leak no plating lost and the Wings etching also shows no wear.

Can confirm.

I've had my four 698s in rotation for over 9 months now and they are still like new. I use them daily and aside from the typical barely noticeable micro-scratches they still look like on day one and certainly still perform like new. They are solid pens in every way.

Hello,

since I'm a sad, compulsive and cheap fountain pen user, I check new Wing Sung auctions nearly everyday and I just found that we now have the option of a proper medium nib. /applause/

I haven't bought a 698 yet because I already have a Pilot Kakuno in F and I want the medium version of that nib, so I'm very excited about this WS medium.

HERE is the teal version.

HERE is the black version.

HERE is the transparent version with SILVER clip.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Can confirm.

I've had my four 698s in rotation for over 9 months now and they are still like new. I use them daily and aside from the typical barely noticeable micro-scratches they still look like on day one and certainly still perform like new. They are solid pens in every way.

I've used it at least twice weekly in the last 5 months and I completely agree with what has been said. It's a really nice pen.

I have a Wing Sung 698 that has terrible inkflow.

I tried fixing the nib and even replacing it with a Pilot nib.

The feed looked poor with an inconsistent channel so I replaced it with a Pilot Feed.

I flushed out the pen several times.

Has anyone else had this happen to them with a 698? I honestly haven't gotten the best inkflow out of 698's for some reason.

I have a Wing Sung 698 that has terrible inkflow.

I tried fixing the nib and even replacing it with a Pilot nib.

The feed looked poor with an inconsistent channel so I replaced it with a Pilot Feed.

I flushed out the pen several times.

Has anyone else had this happen to them with a 698? I honestly haven't gotten the best inkflow out of 698's for some reason.

What ink are you using? Mine don't seem to like very dry inks such as Akkermann Iron Gall. Otherwise they work great.

Edited by Tasmith

Anyone noticed gold plating wearing off the nib on their 698?

Today while cleaning the pen I noticed that there is a quite noticeable plating loss along the slit and the tipping.

I know such things are to be expected with the gold(-ish) plated steel nibs over time, but this was, I think, second or third time this pen was ever filled.

Edited by WJM

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed that there are 2017 and 2018 versions of the 698 available on eBay.

Anybody know what the difference between the two models is?

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I have noticed that there are 2017 and 2018 versions of the 698 available on eBay.

Anybody know what the difference between the two models is?

Isn't that only a marketing strategy? Who wants the "latest version" will type "2018 Wing Sung etc," so many sellers name their new auctions '2018 etc.'

Isn't that only a marketing strategy? Who wants the "latest version" will type "2018 Wing Sung etc," so many sellers name their new auctions '2018 etc.'

Possibly, but I was wondering if some of the noted problems with the WS698, like the inner cap coming out, had been fixed.

Anyway, no matter, I have one of the 2018 models on its way to me as we speak. Possibly by reindeer...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Possibly, but I was wondering if some of the noted problems with the WS698, like the inner cap coming out, had been fixed.

:yikes: !!!!!

But I thought this time I would have a nice piston-filler with no major issues at a great price. : (( Damn it.