The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Trying To Finish Up Collection Of Visumasters

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 17:56

Now, Paul, Farmboy, Pajaro, Gary, Ron, and everyone else, help me. Don't all the visumasters have a metal top holding the clip on? Do some have regular jewels on the top of the cap? Did I just let my fifteen-year-old, break or lose everything, grandson have a green visumaster?

-David (Estie). 

No, Yes, and if it has a regular jewel, Yes.  The third variation has the black "toaster-top" jewel found on the WW2 twist-filler and first "transitional" pens, and a regular section instead of the visulated one.  So your fifteen-year old BOLE grandson may have a green Mod 3 VM.  Great gift! :D

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Sponsored Content

#22 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:04

No, Yes, and if it has a regular jewel, Yes.  The third variation has the black "toaster-top" jewel found on the WW2 twist-filler and first "transitional" pens, and a regular section instead of the visulated one.  So your fifteen-year old BOLE grandson may have a green Mod 3 VM.  Great gift! :D

I love my grandson, but blast and double blast! His favorite color is green and he's been after me for that pen for months. I gave him the full course in fountain pen care and maintenance. I'm glad that he is interested in fountain pens, but blast it all! Oh, why couldn't I have had a green Hero to give him! Maybe I can get one and trade it to him before too much harm comes to the Esterbrook.

Oh, why didn't I know that visumasters didn't all have the metal top holding the clip on? It is my fault, I know, but blast it all!

Thanks for the information, Paul. I guess I just happened to be a better grandpa than I thought I was -- at least in this one instance.  :crybaby:

-David (Estie).

Edited by estie1948, 15 April 2017 - 11:06.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#23 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:26

I love my grandson, but blast and double blast! His favorite color is green and he's been after me for that pen for months. I gave him the full course in fountain pen care and maintenance. I'm glad that he is interested in fountain pens, but blast it all! Oh, why couldn't I have had a green Hero to give him! Maybe I can get one and trade it to him before too much harm comes to the Esterbrook.

Oh, why didn't I know that visumasters didn't all have the metal top holding the clip on? It is my fault, I know, but blast it all!

Thanks for the information, Paul. I guess I just happened to be a better grandpa than I thought I was -- at least in this one instance.  :crybaby:

-David (Estie).

I sincerely understand, David.

And I can say truthfully that I and most all of the pen-collecting friends I have met over the last 36 years have had the same or similar experience.  I still think, now and then, of a certain old Parker with a strange nib that I traded away one day, to a guy who knew more about Parkers than I did ....

Best one can do is release the pen, release the regret, resolve to learn more and continue on.  If you put your mind fully to rest about it, and it becomes OK, it'll likely come back to you and then some.  I can only relate my experience, but once I was able to let it go, since that fateful day, and even into present time, I've scored some fantastic pens and great deals on stuff I never thought I'd even see, much less possess (Esterbrook and otherwise).  

You've given your nephew a treasure; not the greatest of all Esties (if there is such a thing), but maybe that significance will alter his "BOLE" nature for the better.  Or maybe he will trade it back to you for one of the newer, more up-to-date pens.  Anything is worth a conversation ....

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#24 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,835 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:29

I sincerely understand, David.

Best one can do is release the pen, release the regret, resolve to learn more and continue on.  If you put your mind fully to rest about it, and it becomes OK, it'll likely come back to you and then some.  I can only relate my experience, but once I was able to let it go, since that fateful day, and even into present time, I've scored some fantastic pens and great deals on stuff I never thought I'd even see, much less possess (Esterbrook and otherwise).  

Paul, you give very good advice. I will have to strive to follow it as best I can since I can't seem to find a green Pilot I remembered I had last night and thought my grandson might go for. I have learned over the years that it is best to follow a friend's good advice . . . especially when you can't do anything else.

Thanks, Paul.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#25 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 18:13

Got some Pen Mail Today, and the 3 visumasters i bought, cleaned them up and now my OCD is very happy once again haha.

Still on lookout for a copper 3 ridge transitional J if anyone has one for sale.

Attached Images

• IMG_8608.jpg
  • IMG_8609.jpg

#26 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 22:33

Yowsa! :thumbup:

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

#27 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 00:19

Got some Pen Mail Today, and the 3 visumasters i bought, cleaned them up and now my OCD is very happy once again haha.

Still on lookout for a copper 3 ridge transitional J if anyone has one for sale.

According to my spread sheet, I should have a copper tran J in my stuff somewhere to restore.  Now, I just need to find it.  I'll let you know when I do.

#28 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:17

Thanks gary, had a few leads here and there but nothing seems to be panning out haha. Thank you

#29 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,766 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:10

Your OCD must be failing. Pens are not in the same color order and both are in the wrong order.

Edited by FarmBoy, 25 April 2017 - 04:11.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#30 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:35

Your OCD must be failing. Pens are not in the same color order and both are in the wrong order.

BlackBlueRedGreenBrownGrey?  Maybe his OCD is "kinda" computer: RBG/Greyscale.

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

#31 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:29

Thanks gary, had a few leads here and there but nothing seems to be panning out haha. Thank you

I found it...actually, I passed it up a couple times in my search.  I had a whole set, but the copper isn't the toaster top.  The search goes on...

#32 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 19:27

I found it...actually, I passed it up a couple times in my search.  I had a whole set, but the copper isn't the toaster top.  The search goes on...

no worries, thanks for looking appreciate that.

#33 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 21:26

Could be like the pawn shop dealer in Abilene, TX that we stopped in to see.  He brought wanted to sell the whole pile of pens at once, said there were hundreds.  But he brought out trays one at a time.  The fatal mistake was leaving the cherry red Esterbrook on the tray when it came out the second and third time, which had us paying closer attention to what was IN each tray.  We politely left... 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#34 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 23:35

Sorry, only have a mild case of OCD haha. Here is how I have them together in 1 shot

Attached Images

• IMG_8616.JPG

#35 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 00:43

Layered OCD.    B)

#36 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:22

Mirrored OCD

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#37 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:19

Organizationally Creative Diversity  :P

Edited by Hobiwan, 26 April 2017 - 05:19.

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

#38 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:11

Found the Copper 3 ridge, and organized colors for everyone with ocd.

Attached Images

• est.jpg

Edited by mikedealer, 12 May 2017 - 04:11.

#39 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:48

Im...pressive!  A true C-worder, you are!

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

Sponsored Content

|