Trying To Finish Up Collection Of Visumasters

mikedealer

Now, Paul, Farmboy, Pajaro, Gary, Ron, and everyone else, help me. Don't all the visumasters have a metal top holding the clip on? Do some have regular jewels on the top of the cap? Did I just let my fifteen-year-old, break or lose everything, grandson have a green visumaster?

-David (Estie).

No, Yes, and if it has a regular jewel, Yes. The third variation has the black "toaster-top" jewel found on the WW2 twist-filler and first "transitional" pens, and a regular section instead of the visulated one. So your fifteen-year old BOLE grandson may have a green Mod 3 VM. Great gift! :D

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hobiwan

• mikedealer

• estie1948

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, Yes, and if it has a regular jewel, Yes. The third variation has the black "toaster-top" jewel found on the WW2 twist-filler and first "transitional" pens, and a regular section instead of the visulated one. So your fifteen-year old BOLE grandson may have a green Mod 3 VM. Great gift! :D

I love my grandson, but blast and double blast! His favorite color is green and he's been after me for that pen for months. I gave him the full course in fountain pen care and maintenance. I'm glad that he is interested in fountain pens, but blast it all! Oh, why couldn't I have had a green Hero to give him! Maybe I can get one and trade it to him before too much harm comes to the Esterbrook.

Oh, why didn't I know that visumasters didn't all have the metal top holding the clip on? It is my fault, I know, but blast it all!

Thanks for the information, Paul. I guess I just happened to be a better grandpa than I thought I was -- at least in this one instance. :crybaby:

-David (Estie).

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I love my grandson, but blast and double blast! His favorite color is green and he's been after me for that pen for months. I gave him the full course in fountain pen care and maintenance. I'm glad that he is interested in fountain pens, but blast it all! Oh, why couldn't I have had a green Hero to give him! Maybe I can get one and trade it to him before too much harm comes to the Esterbrook.

Oh, why didn't I know that visumasters didn't all have the metal top holding the clip on? It is my fault, I know, but blast it all!

Thanks for the information, Paul. I guess I just happened to be a better grandpa than I thought I was -- at least in this one instance. :crybaby:

-David (Estie).

I sincerely understand, David.

And I can say truthfully that I and most all of the pen-collecting friends I have met over the last 36 years have had the same or similar experience. I still think, now and then, of a certain old Parker with a strange nib that I traded away one day, to a guy who knew more about Parkers than I did ....

Best one can do is release the pen, release the regret, resolve to learn more and continue on. If you put your mind fully to rest about it, and it becomes OK, it'll likely come back to you and then some. I can only relate my experience, but once I was able to let it go, since that fateful day, and even into present time, I've scored some fantastic pens and great deals on stuff I never thought I'd even see, much less possess (Esterbrook and otherwise).

You've given your nephew a treasure; not the greatest of all Esties (if there is such a thing), but maybe that significance will alter his "BOLE" nature for the better. Or maybe he will trade it back to you for one of the newer, more up-to-date pens. Anything is worth a conversation ....

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

I sincerely understand, David.

Best one can do is release the pen, release the regret, resolve to learn more and continue on. If you put your mind fully to rest about it, and it becomes OK, it'll likely come back to you and then some. I can only relate my experience, but once I was able to let it go, since that fateful day, and even into present time, I've scored some fantastic pens and great deals on stuff I never thought I'd even see, much less possess (Esterbrook and otherwise).

Paul, you give very good advice. I will have to strive to follow it as best I can since I can't seem to find a green Pilot I remembered I had last night and thought my grandson might go for. I have learned over the years that it is best to follow a friend's good advice . . . especially when you can't do anything else.

Thanks, Paul.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some Pen Mail Today, and the 3 visumasters i bought, cleaned them up and now my OCD is very happy once again haha.

Still on lookout for a copper 3 ridge transitional J if anyone has one for sale.

post-126649-0-72959300-1493057555_thumb.jpg

post-126649-0-46023500-1493057564_thumb.jpg

Yowsa! :thumbup:

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

Got some Pen Mail Today, and the 3 visumasters i bought, cleaned them up and now my OCD is very happy once again haha.

Still on lookout for a copper 3 ridge transitional J if anyone has one for sale.

According to my spread sheet, I should have a copper tran J in my stuff somewhere to restore. Now, I just need to find it. I'll let you know when I do.

Your OCD must be failing. Pens are not in the same color order and both are in the wrong order. Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Your OCD must be failing. Pens are not in the same color order and both are in the wrong order.

BlackBlueRedGreenBrownGrey? Maybe his OCD is "kinda" computer: RBG/Greyscale.

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

Thanks gary, had a few leads here and there but nothing seems to be panning out haha. Thank you

I found it...actually, I passed it up a couple times in my search. I had a whole set, but the copper isn't the toaster top. The search goes on...

I found it...actually, I passed it up a couple times in my search. I had a whole set, but the copper isn't the toaster top. The search goes on...

no worries, thanks for looking appreciate that.

Your OCD must be failing. Pens are not in the same color order and both are in the wrong order.

Could be like the pawn shop dealer in Abilene, TX that we stopped in to see. He brought wanted to sell the whole pile of pens at once, said there were hundreds. But he brought out trays one at a time. The fatal mistake was leaving the cherry red Esterbrook on the tray when it came out the second and third time, which had us paying closer attention to what was IN each tray. We politely left...

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sorry, only have a mild case of OCD haha. Here is how I have them together in 1 shot

post-126649-0-09024700-1493163294_thumb.jpg

Mirrored OCD

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Organizationally Creative Diversity :P

Edited by Hobiwan

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Found the Copper 3 ridge, and organized colors for everyone with ocd.

post-126649-0-23713800-1494562295_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikedealer

Im...pressive! A true C-worder, you are!

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein