Yiren 358 With Ef Nib For Those Who Like It Small(Est)

If you need a pen with a EF nib, and if you don't mind plastic, how about the Yiren 358 - Link to Ebay.

It writes 0.2-0.3 mm lines, if you put a little bit of pressure, it also can do 0.45 mm lines. It writes wet.

I am using the black transparent one - but I think the colorless one would have been a better idea.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• mke

• Alohamora

• virgilio

• 4 weeks later...

That looks very similar to a Pilot 78g. Does the resemblance hold up in person?

The same seller has the pack of all 5 colors listed on Amazon.

Very tempted, although I rarely use an EF.

Looks nice, unfortunately it doesn't ship to my country. I wonder how it compares to the Wing Sung 659?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

The Wing Sung / Lucky 659 , Yiren 358, and Wing Sung 3002 and then some others too are basically the same pen. Talk about branding and OEM ....

I like it, especially as it doesn't dry out if you let it rest for a while.

What I dislike is that the golden ring between the feed assembly and the barrel is not well fixed.

I didn't find Wing Sung 3002 on ebay or aliexpress.

Wing Sung 659, I only found on ebay - (much) more expensive than the Yiren.

Oh, I see, it has the inscription WingS on the nibs.

Now, I need to think if I really need these nibs.

There are also combinations between non-transparent and transparent ones. Some new colors.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 5 pack the other day, after about 10 days in transit. It does indeed look very close to the 78g. It's just a bit thinner so the barrel, cap and section do not interchange with a 78g. Length and weight are about the same. If you look close, the edges of the clip aren't finished as nicely as the 78g.

It's too soon to comment on the writing.

• 2 months later...

I just received one of these and loved it.  I immediately ordered three more.  I agree with all the good things said above but do not agree that it is equivalent to the Wing Sung Lucky 659 in that it is free of most of the problems reported with that pen.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304999-lucky-659-wing-sung-659/

In particular, the Yiren works fine with Parker cartridges.  I have one in it now and it was pierced by the pen.  (You do have to keep pushing after it is pierced to full seat it.) It looks like Lamy cartridges would work as well.  I have not tried the converter but it did not fall apart in my hands and the handle is not white.  If it unsatisfactory there are lots of options out there for converters.  Just buying a Chinese pan that takes Parker cartridges would be a simple option.  Just off the top of my head, two possibilities are the Hero 50 and Wing Sung 500.

Highly recommended by me because the nib is one of the smoothest XF nibs I have encountered.

http://statland.org/PenPix/2017_07_21_Casio_NewPens/cimg0968-0.jpg

Hello,

a little video review of this pen could be found here:

Thank you for watching!!

MontPelikan

I tried to go EF from F but I didn't like the experience of trying to balance on a needlepoint. Maybe it's because I'm old? :o

Chrissie, I am 73 and can still manage a XF nib when I can find one!-) So it may not be age.

I regret to report that my Yiren is not making a tight seal with that Parker cartridge. No floods but there is some ink in the sleeve the cartridge slides into in the section.

Today I received a Wings (Wing Sung) 3001 which seems to be essentially the same pen. (Note to mke: The gold ring falls off my Yiren but not off the 3001). It too seems to take Parker cartridges.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/325651-mini-review-wings-wing-sung-3001-clone-of-pilot-78g/

The 3001 costs $1.66 US on eBay. You can get the Yiren for the same price if you search eBay for "358 fountain pen". For Chrissy and others who do not want the default XFnib, the Yirens can be had with a pen and both an XF and F nib for $3.98.

Bob, can the nibs (and/or feeds) on the Yiren 358 be swapped into the Wing Sung 659?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Bobje, I do not have a 659 so I cannot tell you. The problems people had with the converter and with using cartridges discouraged me from ever ordering one. Then the Yiren came along at about 1/4 the price so I tried that and was pleased. There is also now a Wing Sung 3001 that seems identical to the Yiren (and at the same low price) though I have not taken either apart.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/325651-mini-review-wings-wing-sung-3001-clone-of-pilot-78g/

Bob, Thank you. I have not been able to find a listing for the Wing Sung 3001. Might there be a different number, or way of searching?

(EDIT: a search for "Wings 3001" is successful.)

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I got my three additional ones. They took about 12 days to get to the east coast of the US of A -- very fast for China. First impression was that one of the converters came apart in my hands when I tried to remove it. The other two seemed OK. Because there were questions about what ink cartridges fit these, I decided to try a variety of those. Real Lamy cartridges are a very snug fit in the tube at the end of the section so I did not force it. Thornton cartridges designed for Lamy are almost as tight so I passed on those too. Hero 359 cartridges required a firm push to be punctured but seem OK. Likewise a Monteverde cartridge meant for Lamy, though I did not have to push quite as hard. A green Parker cartridge acted like the red one in the earlier pen. It seems to fit and be easy to pierce but no ink flows. You have to keep pushing it and fussing with it before it will write. The red one did not make a perfect seal so I will have to watch the green one (and the other brands as well). And all the gold colored rings around the waist are loose;-(

The pens wrote from very good to excellent for this very fussy person and all were amazingly smooth for such fine nibs -- much nicer than the real 78G I used to have.

Orange had been added to the colors available for $1.65 US. I will have to think about that. To find all the cheap ones on eBay search for

Rotating and twisting

Rather than explore the pricer Yirens I think I will get more of the very similar Wings 3001 pens because they are also $1.65 and the trim rings do not fall off;-)

Just ordered the 358 as a grading pen (the EF is helpful in the margins).

Edited by TSherbs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of pens that write very thin lines. I'm 220 and want a line that reflects me. A bully, street fighter, and art historian. You don't like Helen Frankenthaler? Well, take this, you eye-less Amherst dink!

On the other hand, when it is Sunday and the NYT Xword is printed and next to my English Breakfast and chocolate croissant, I do appreciate an EF because the squares are so small. And my eyes not the greatest ... although not bad for their weight.

And the $1.66 ebay Yiren transparent is just the answer. Very much a Pilot 78 in looks. I am using the convertor with Pelikan Brilliant Brown. I may make into an ED.

Don't hesitate to buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

The results are more or less in for using Parker cartridges. The green also leaked inside whereas the two WingS 3001 pens I tried Parkers in either did not leak or leaked very little. So I definitely prefer the WingS pens as 78G clones. In fact, I prefer them to real 78Gs;-)

• 5 weeks later...

Mech-for-i commented that several of these pens were identical. I am not convinced, if only because the trim rings do not fall off the WingS 3001. But my latest 358 was interesting in that regard. The seller on eBay was hejing1314 and the listing title was

Luxury packaging Yiren 358 Fluorescent green Two nib packaging Fountain Pen New

You get a pen and a second nib/section unit. Previously I had always seen this used to include both a F and XF nib, but the seller did not actually say that, and both the nibs I got were marked EF. More interesting were the markings on the package. It had a big F and the rest was mostly Chinese. But it did include a picture of the nib, and that nib was marked WingS Super Quality.

I wanted to investigate further but the "luxury packaging" was what I call "adult proof packaging" consisting of three layers of clear plastic welded together with a "handle" on the top to hang the product up on a rack display. (And the color was hardly fluorescent but more like melted lemon lime sherbet -- though it was close to the photo in the listing, and perfectly acceptable to me as all I wanted was a pen to hold my beloved yellow-green inks such as Vert Pre.)

The package labeling was all on a piece of paper welded between the clear plastic layers. After a struggle I extracted that with only moderate crumpling. Hidden behind it was an instruction sheet. It was entirely in Chinese except for the picture of the nib, which carried the same Wing Sung markings in English. The actual nibs said "Yiren EF," the clip said "Yiren," and the waistband said "359." But most convincing was the fact that the trim rings were loose on both sections.

Lacking a second body, I have only tried one nib. It is very nice and similar to the other 358s -- quite fine and quite smooth. However, I can't really recommend the two-nib package in general because it costs more than two whole pens. The only reason I ordered it was because I could not find single pens in pale yellow-green. So I am fairly happy with mine, but thought I would report for those not seeking yellow-green. And because of the pen's identity crisis.