Modern Parker Fps?

NewPenMan

Definitely your perception. Parker continues to produce some very nice pens and to innovate. But some people will always yearn for the good old days of Made In <Insert Your Favourite> place and Parker XYZ, No. 123 like the one grandad had.

Forgive me for the perception. Parker really does not innovate anymore. No. No. No. I am sorry, but they half - @$$ innovation nowadays. I still enjoy Cross pens, even though they are now made in China. The thing about Parker is that it carries a perception that's barely behind Montblanc in the East. It's all about perception, if not innovation.

Edited by AL01

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• mitto

• AL01

• revjamesmorley

There's many reasons. Primarily, they got taken over by a company that couldn't give a hoot about fountain pens, and there's no money in making great writers. It's all about business and milking the idea of fountain pen as a beautiful object to give as a gift, or as a status symbol. It's the same with Sheaffer, Waterman, and many others in this side of the world.

The best makers of quality fountain pens in 2017 are Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, Hero, and to a lesser extent, TWSBI for trying some fresh ideas (they still need to work on their QC though).

You may like to refer to this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321135-modern-parkeris-rubbish/

I have heard Hero being thrown around but I'm not familiar with the brand. I think it's a Chinese brand right? What's so good about them?

Forgive me for the perception. Parker really does not innovate anymore. No. No. No. I am sorry, but they half - @$$ innovation nowadays. I still enjoy Cross pens, even though they are now made in China. The thing about Parker is that it carries a perception that's barely behind Montblanc in the East. It's all about perception, if not innovation.

I tend to agree with you. I like the 51 aero pen. I like the looks of the Sonnet, but it can give starting trouble. It has become a tray collectible for me.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have heard Hero being thrown around but I'm not familiar with the brand. I think it's a Chinese brand right? What's so good about them?

I can hardly wait for this.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

The thing is, it's a niche market and I don't think there is that much incentive to be innovative. The current owners of Parker / Waterman are basically relying on the brand names and their history to sell their products. The same goes for Sheaffer and Cross. These were all innovative in their prime because of market competition. Hence all the original filling systems, interesting finishes, etc. Fountain pens used to be a fact of life, It's now a small market, and frankly, once you settle on cartridge / converter pens or a reliable piston mechanism, what is left to do? Offer nice nib options, good quality workmanship and customer service. The big Chinese manufacturers offer none of that, and they mostly copy other brands and they typically offer zero nib options and zero customer service (their pens are so cheap, why would they?). Last I heard, the CS at Parker / Waterman wasn't the greatest. Nib options aren't impressive either.

What can you expect from a company equally interested in Parker pens, the Crock Pot, Coleman tents and Graco baby srollers?

I think the whole then and now debate is flawed at the get-go because the market has changed so drastically. Really, the only big pen companies which offer pens from beginner models up to high end, expensive " I'm conspicuously showing off my wealth models" are brands like Pilot, Sailor, Platinum and Pelikan. And those are the companies which offer a lot of nib options, even within their mid-range offerings.

I guess the only way things can be solved is through an ideal situation. I guess only enthusiasts would support a company. This is why so many people love the new CEO of Toyota. He's a car guy, that's what a whole genre of consumers want.

The thing is, it's a niche market and I don't think there is that much incentive to be innovative. The current owners of Parker / Waterman are basically relying on the brand names and their history to sell their products. The same goes for Sheaffer and Cross. These were all innovative in their prime because of market competition. Hence all the original filling systems, interesting finishes, etc. Fountain pens used to be a fact of life, It's now a small market, and frankly, once you settle on cartridge / converter pens or a reliable piston mechanism, what is left to do? Offer nice nib options, good quality workmanship and customer service. The big Chinese manufacturers offer none of that, and they mostly copy other brands and they typically offer zero nib options and zero customer service (their pens are so cheap, why would they?). Last I heard, the CS at Parker / Waterman wasn't the greatest. Nib options aren't impressive either.

What can you expect from a company equally interested in Parker pens, the Crock Pot, Coleman tents and Graco baby srollers?

I think the whole then and now debate is flawed at the get-go because the market has changed so drastically. Really, the only big pen companies which offer pens from beginner models up to high end, expensive " I'm conspicuously showing off my wealth models" are brands like Pilot, Sailor, Platinum and Pelikan. And those are the companies which offer a lot of nib options, even within their mid-range offerings.

I agree. I had hoped Parker would produce another pen like the 51. Apparently they won't.

I can hardly wait for this.

I have heared Hero are the predecessors of P51.:)

Parker copied the design of Hero pens when introducing the 51 in the early 40s.:).:).:)

Khan M. Ilyas

I lost interest in models after the 75 and Duofold, both excellent pens.

I tried later models but poor quality control and writing quickly soured me on them. The Sonnet is a revamp of name from the 75 era without the excellent writing and build quality.

FWIW, the 51 never inspired me to the heights of adulation accorded them by some. Appearance = meh, but writing quality was excellent. I still use a Flighter quite often.

After releasing on the market a large quantity of lemons called the ciselle Sonnet, for $300 USD, I can't wish enough bad on the future of the company.

But the old stock and refurbishings are going to be good to work with.

After releasing on the market a large quantity of lemons called the ciselle Sonnet, for $300 USD, I can't wish enough bad on the future of the company.

But the old stock and refurbishings are going to be good to work with.

I bought quite a few used Sonnets both with steel and 18k nibs for $20-$35. The Ciselé I bought new for $ 260 and then bought two more in used condition for $80 each. But all are now relegated to just show pieces.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 1 year later...

The gold nib modern Sonnets are pretty decent. The occasional dry one just needs a nib flossing along with the cleaning. Those are from France. The Chinese Urban I have is junk. Parker's parent company also makes mop bucket. Sonnets are usually on sale.

The gold nib modern Sonnets are pretty decent. The occasional dry one just needs a nib flossing along with the cleaning. Those are from France. The Chinese Urban I have is junk. Parker's parent company also makes mop bucket. Sonnets are usually on sale.