Hi From London, Uk

CandC

Do you still have your mother's Parker 51 ? Does your father's Parker 61 have cartridge feed, or the capillary feed ? My Parker 61 is an excellent writer.

Writing by hand is very personal and great therapy against the "sterile" digital world.

My Dad still has my Mum's 51, and I'm not sure if his 61 is cartridge or capillary, and as he lives "up North" (Yorkshire), I haven't had chance to check.

The 51s I have - one is a Vac and one an Aero. I also recently acquired a rough 61 capillary which has actually cleaned up quite nicely.

Totally agree on the enjoyment to be had from writing with a proper pen. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CandC

• asegier

• oneill

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great way to start! Going vintage from the get-go! I haven't seen many do that at all. I'm only getting started in looking at vintage pens at the moment. May I ask what others you've purchased, other then your favourite so far?

What a wise man for liking JINHAO and BAOER fountain pens they are both manufactured by the same company in China I know because I used to edit their webpages for them years ago and all for FREE.They really are very good value for money and if you do happen to get a dud work on it until you make it work for you and you wont regret it.I

have pens of theirs from years ago in my collection which I would not part with as they are no longer made by

them it seems.My Favorite and I have three of them in my collection would be a pen which is called The Abalone,

or the Mother of Pearl it is really Beautiful. Trust Me. oneill

Just to mention some of those old pens, hows this,Great wall.Confucious, Golden Dragon, Silver Dragon,Long March, Archaic Saint,Legend of Dragon, etc etc etc.

Greetings and welcome!

:W2FPN:

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

What a great way to start! Going vintage from the get-go! I haven't seen many do that at all. I'm only getting started in looking at vintage pens at the moment. May I ask what others you've purchased, other then your favourite so far?

Well, I went at it a bit enthusiastically, so vintage ones:

Parker 51 Vac (Cedar blue, golf cap)

Parker 51 Aero (Teal, alloy cap)

Parker 61 Capillary (Black, gold cap)

Parker 65 (Burgundy, gold cap)

Parker 75 Custom Laque (green, gold cap)

Parker 75/Premier (China Laque)

Pelikan 100N

Pelikan 140

... and a no-name button filling one that only has markings on the nib which needs a new sac, so I'm about to learn how to do that.

New ones:

Jinhao 126

Jinhao X250

Jinhao X450

TWSBI Eco

I'm now concentrating on using them and am banning myself from eBay for a while! :)

Well, I went at it a bit enthusiastically, so vintage ones:

Parker 51 Vac (Cedar blue, golf cap)

Parker 51 Aero (Teal, alloy cap)

Parker 61 Capillary (Black, gold cap)

Parker 65 (Burgundy, gold cap)

Parker 75 Custom Laque (green, gold cap)

Parker 75/Premier (China Laque)

Pelikan 100N

Pelikan 140

... and a no-name button filling one that only has markings on the nib which needs a new sac, so I'm about to learn how to do that.

New ones:

Jinhao 126

Jinhao X250

Jinhao X450

TWSBI Eco

I'm now concentrating on using them and am banning myself from eBay for a while! :)

Wow. Seems like you're quite a Parker fan! No big name brands for the modern pens haha. How's the Pelikan? I've been only purchasing Vintage Montblanc. I'm starting to look at Pelikan's now but I'm still in the research phase.

Wow. Seems like you're quite a Parker fan! No big name brands for the modern pens haha. How's the Pelikan? I've been only purchasing Vintage Montblanc. I'm starting to look at Pelikan's now but I'm still in the research phase.

Well, I started with a Parker 51 and wanted to see what the others were like from reading about them. The 75 and Premier write really smoothly. The green 75 works particularly well with GV Faber Castell Moss Green ink.

Of the Pelikans, the 140 is also a really good writer and a pleasure to use.

The Pelikan 100N arrived very recently and the piston filler is a bit stiff so I'll look to service it before filling.

You're right about no modern big name brands. For some reason I just prefer the pens with a bit of history. There's just something about using a pen that was made well before I was born but works just as well as it did when it was new. It's also rewarding to tidy them up a bit, getting them to look as good as possible.

The button filler is already proving interesting taking it apart. It's fun to learn how they actually work.

Well, I started with a Parker 51 and wanted to see what the others were like from reading about them. The 75 and Premier write really smoothly. The green 75 works particularly well with GV Faber Castell Moss Green ink.

Of the Pelikans, the 140 is also a really good writer and a pleasure to use.

The Pelikan 100N arrived very recently and the piston filler is a bit stiff so I'll look to service it before filling.

You're right about no modern big name brands. For some reason I just prefer the pens with a bit of history. There's just something about using a pen that was made well before I was born but works just as well as it did when it was new. It's also rewarding to tidy them up a bit, getting them to look as good as possible.

The button filler is already proving interesting taking it apart. It's fun to learn how they actually work.

Sounds great! Glad you enjoy the pens! I am actually looking at a 140 right now.. haha. Do you like more flexy nibs then?

Hi Conrad,

Welcome. You really need to get along to the Bierschenke

http://bierschenke.co.uk/

on 6th May (or each first Saturday of the month) when it opens at 12.00.

Go down stairs and look for the sad people with stains on their fingers! At last count there were about 17 sad individuals with a large number of pens ranging from brand new to vintage comparing pens and inks. The main problem is the lack of time to get around and see everyone in the time available before we have to leave.