New Pelikan M800 Renaissance Brown

novelli

If you found a good thing and could dine out indefinitely on it, would you change? Why? I can't think of any logical reason for Pelikan, a commercial entity, to mess with something that is working quite well and has been working quite well for some time.

Well, I'm not so sure about the analogy. If there were a dish I wanted to eat very often, I would learn to make it myself rather than "dining out indefinitely." However, I do agree with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

This particular pen doesn't quite reach the "I gotta have it" threshold, I'm afraid. Now, if and when Pelikan releases a M600 TS ....

David

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• novelli

• Lam1

• da vinci

• Bluey

Top Posters In This Topic

I am paranoid about .... We all have our foibles! :)

:) Oh, I know that very well, trust me!

Thanks for clarifying.

Ah, I though it would be transparent, as well. That said, I wouldn't mind being able to use my Platinum Carbon Ink in this without worrying about staining. I've gotten used to not having an inkview with my Burnt Orange.

You kind of know when you need to refill, and to check, you can do a few twists of the piston to guess how much you have. Works fine for me.

You can also put the flashlight in your phone behind the pen, it lets you know exactly how much ink you have.

:) Oh, I know that very well, trust me!

Thanks for clarifying.

You can also put the flashlight in your phone behind the pen, it lets you know exactly how much ink you have.

This really doesn't work with the completely opaque pens like the Burnt Orange that I have. There is no translucence that would permit that kind of visibility. Not sure if that would still be the same case with this one. Will definitely try it.

• 4 weeks later...

I want it! So does my wife. It is a long time that we want to buy a Pelican to add to our collections, so this is the one. I only have to find a way to buy not here in Canada, because there are way too expensive!

I'll wait until I see non-marketing pictures of the pen but in general I'm a sucker for pretty brown pens.

I will be happy to send you some pictures of the pen when they will deliver at the end of this month.

Regards,

Marco

Novelli.it

visit us at Novelli.it

I want it! So does my wife. It is a long time that we want to buy a Pelican to add to our collections, so this is the one. I only have to find a way to buy not here in Canada, because there are way too expensive!

I'm based in Rome, Italy, please CLICK HERE to see my offer. If you like my offer I will be happy to reserve ne or two pieces for you.

Thank you,

Marco

Novelli.it

visit us at Novelli.it

I want it! So does my wife.

No problem, then.

I hope you enjoy the Pelikan.

Regardless of colour, on my small sample of [currently] one, I think it an excellent pen.

X

Hi Marco,

Just drop by and say Hi to you,I pre-ordered one from you immediately after you post this topic :), and wow, I just realized that one or two months of waiting isn't a short time if you want something badly :D

Edited by MingLau

Hi Marco,

Just drop by and say Hi to you,I pre-ordered one from you immediately after you post this topic :), and wow, I just realized that one or two months of waiting isn't a short time if you want something badly :D

I know well your feeling. Pelikan Italy said they will deliver them in June but they can't tell me exactly when. I hope at the beginning but I can't assure, sorry. I'm sure it worth the wait.

Marco

Novelli.it

visit us at Novelli.it

• 3 weeks later...

The M800 Renaissance Brown that I ordered from Appelboom arrived, but to my surprise, is fitted with a PLASTIC PISTON instead of a brass piston. Is this a very special edition? Anyone with similar experience please?

It probably isn't plastic, but they must have it painted/coated the piston to a dark color so that it looks better with this binde. There are a number of them with this characteristic.

It probably isn't plastic, but they must have it painted/coated the piston to a dark color so that it looks better with this binde. There are a number of them with this characteristic.

The Brown Tort and the Stresemann I have both show black threads rather than "gold" or "silver". They all weigh the same on my postal scale. I wouldn't worry.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

My M800 RB along with M805 Anthracite Stresemann arrived today. They’re my first Pelikans & for that matter, my first purchased fountain pen ever. The last FP I used was over 30 years ago, a Sheaffer with 18k Gold nib, that my Grandpa had gifted me.

Anyways, I must say I’m a little disappointed! The pen does not have rich brown shades as in the picture. It is duller version of brown & has more silvery-brown shiny speckles here & there. For that matter I like the M805 Stresemann, which I intend to gift my nephew, is way better than the RB.

Also, the cap appears much lighter, transparent then the body. However, when capped or closed, it matches the rest of the pen.

Materials with lots of movement/character can sometimes be hit or miss which is why I like to see the exact pen I'll receive before buying (in person or pictures). More traditional materials, like the Stresemann are more consistent but not always as interesting.

I say this from multiple experiences receiving pens and being disappointed. Marketing materials tend to show the best possible outcome.

Edited by Mulrich

I know well your feeling. Pelikan Italy said they will deliver them in June but they can't tell me exactly when. I hope at the beginning but I can't assure, sorry. I'm sure it worth the wait.

Marco

Novelli.it

Hi Marco,

The pen is well received and I'm happy to tell the others that I'm one of the many happy customers of Novelli.

I appreciate the way that the pen is well protected in the robust package, and it is carefully tested before sending out :thumbup:

And here is a casual smart-phone photo of it on my desk :D

http://www.trailstudio.com.hk/Pelikan%20M800RB.jpg

My bad: the piston holder is probably coated black. The weight of the pen without ink is 29.3 - no problems there at all.

My medium nib is not a round blob of tipping and provides some line variation(!) as long as not paired with super wet inks and papers that r very absorbent. A real pleasant surprise indeed! Very easily controlled writing and not at all broad for my tastes and writing. Miniscules in smaller fonts are not a problem at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen one in person yet, but I feel like this is the type of pen that needs to be seen in-person in order to fully appreciate. I'm sure it looks stunning when the light hits that finish. That said, I still find it hard to beat the M805 in the blue/black combo...probably my all-time favorite color. Maybe one day I'll own both!