Private Reserve Blue/purple Inks Test

NickiStew

nick-stewart-private-reserve-blues-02.jp

Here are the next batch of 20 bleach swatch tested Private Reserve inks in the blues and purples range. Of note, there are 2 Mindnight Blues with the second one being the fast dry option.

Since my my first post I have done some digging on this particular brand. This a quote from Jordan, posted in August 2016, who is a member of the Fountain Pen Network:

“The man (Terry W. Johnson) behind Private Reserve passed away recently, and he failed to properly document his knowledge before passing. His family has tried their best to keep the business running, but has had persistent quality issues, causing customer complaints. If we can learn a life lesson from this, it is: if others depend on your specific knowledge, write it down somewhere. You never know what tomorrow holds.”

I also had a chat with another very knowledgeable character within the industry who confirmed the info in the above quote and also divulged that ink contamination (bacteria) has been a big problem with this brand which may explain the gloopy consistency I found with some of the samples. Didn’t feel great after hearing this I sometimes lick my paint brushes and may well have done so during these tests!

Well, as you can see apart from one colour there is not a lot to get too excited about here. They all blend with water and gradate out. There is some reaction with bleach, Sonic Blue and Purple Haze were the most dramatic. Chromatically, there is nothing noteworthy and even from a sheen perspective there’s not much happening. I don’t enjoy bad mouthing, but when a brand claims to be the Number 1 and it evidently isn’t, well…. That said, the samples I have could ALL be rotten and maybe you should ignore my post? However you look at this, if Private Reserve want to live up to their claim of being the premier brand – they need to pull their fingers out and do something about it! This brand can be summed up as lack lustre – at best – and I’m being kind.

Inks tested: Ebony Purple, Midnight Blue, Midnight Blue (Fast), Sonic Blue, Electric Blue, Supershow Blue, American Blue, Naples Blue, Tropical Blue, Daphne Blue, Black Magic Blue, Cosmic Cobalt, Tanzanite, Purple Mojo and Purple Haze.

Full report here: https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com/2017/04/06/private-reserve-bluepurple-inks-test/

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• welch

• Amy1234

• NickiStew

OH MY I LOVE BLURPLES. This is a great birthday present.

Please add the other pictures.

I'm surprised you didn't see sheen and exciting stuff.

Ebony Purple is an inexpensive Black Purple. DCSSB and PRAB are known replacements for PPS and sheen a lot. Naples is STUNNING sheener and Transzanite is fun fun fun.

I totally agree however, write it down! I don't know if your samples are some of the old or new items. PR did have some problems which they fixed. I bought a bunch when they were on sale right before the death of Terry Johnson. I hope I bought enough to last my lifetime.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

I wonder if anyone can tell me what is the nearest ink in colour to the PR tanzanite ink? It doesn't seem available anywhere in the U.K. At present and I'm looking for that violet-blue.......

Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm..................

I think I'd compare it to Diamine Bilberry or Diamine Sargasso Sea. You want a real purple leaning blue.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Private Reserve offers a nice set of blues.

- Ah, but the best quality of Tanzanite, to me, is the wetness.

- DC Supershow Blue looks a lot like Parker Penman Sapphire

- DC Electric Blue is a darker blue with pop.

- American Blue is a saturated plain blue...to my eye, it does not lean toward purple or green.

- Lake Placid Blue is a pleasing purple-blue on the lighter/brighter side

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Welch, you are another Tanzanite user, what color is similar that Aisha can find in Europe?

Thank you for your recommendation!..... I have bought both Diamene Bilberry and Diamine Sargasso until the PR Tanzanite is available and enjoying them both.......as you say Welch there isn't quite the wetness there though....

Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm..................

I love Bilberry and Sargasso Sea. We look forward to seeing your writings.

Welch, you are another Tanzanite user, what color is similar that Aisha can find in Europe?

More purple than Diamine Sargasso Sea. Maybe Bilberry?

However, the thing I notice most in Tanzanite is the wetness. Might be the wettest ink I own. Any idea what shipping cost would be from US to Europe? I have bought Quink "with Solv-X" from the UK, and the shipping was not bad.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight