Anyone Tried A Wing Sung 698 Demonstrator?

Lugworm

I'm very tempted to try one of these. From what people say it's like a TWSBI but with a superior nib.

Edited by Bluey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lugworm

• Helen350

• Frank66

• plumo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wing Sung 698 (left) vs. TWSBI Eco (right).

post-125657-0-74885300-1500313734_thumb.jpeg

Wing Sung 698 comes with a silver metal cap finial which, in my mind, seems more pleasing to the eye compared with the TWSBI Eco red plastic cap finial.

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

I'm very tempted to try one of these. From what people say it's like a TWSBI but with a superior nib.

And I daresay : better looks.

That transparent feed and section is really unique and fun.

And I daresay : better looks.

That transparent feed and section is really unique and fun.

I rather like the appearance of some Twsbis, especially the 580 AL series with the diamond facets. I think it adds a certain uniqueness to them and would prefer it if the Wing Sung did so too, but I'm not that struck on the looks of the eco. I prefer the looks of the WS to the eco.

So, I've just received my 698 and after couple of hours writing with it here's what I have to say.

I have to admit, I never owned TWSBI, but if it feels more solid then this one, then it's hell of a pen.

The Wing Sung looks (and feels) very nice (I got it with gold accents), build quality seems great, ink capacity if very large compared to all my c/c pens.

But best part is the nib. It's wet and it's smooth out of the box at least as much as my FC Loom (and that is smooth!). Actually, if I have to compare, i'd say it feels closest to (don't laugh) my Jinhao x450, which is, as strange as it might sound, smoothest nib I've ever felt. But it's also very broad and very (I mean very) wet, so having fine nib with this feel is very cool.

If I had to complain on something, I'd say that the piston twisting cap feels a bit flimsy, but it works fine, so I let it slide. The way it locks on the pen is actually neat feature.

By the way, someone said that it can't be posted. I tried and I can testify that it can and pretty securely. However, the pen gets so back heavy, that I don't think I ever will.

The nib limitation is that it has only an EF or F nib.

This is a Chinese size nib, which is narrower than a western nib; the WS F nib is like a Lamy EF nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I replaced the f nib on this pen with a Nemosine 1.1 mm stub nib from The Pen Chalet. It was an easy fit and is working well.

The nib limitation is that it has only an EF or F nib.

This is a Chinese size nib, which is narrower than a western nib; the WS F nib is like a Lamy EF nib.

Well, I wouldn't say that. I'd say it's a true fine, closer to the westerns. Here's the comparison between my Lamy EF, FC Loom F and WS 698 F:

35849580052_5fef936246.jpg

I'd say the Wing Sung is somewhere around Pilot M nibs.

Anyway, if you like the pen but want broader nibs you can replace the nib with Pilot Metropolitan stub or, perhaps, 78g medium or broad.

"But it's also very broad and very (I mean very) wet, so having fine nib with this feel is very cool."
Does anyone who put a plumix italic nib in the 698 know if the 698 is still a wet pen; especially in comparison to the plumix?
Edited by plumo

"But it's also very broad and very (I mean very) wet, so having fine nib with this feel is very cool."
Does anyone who put a plumix italic nib in the 698 know if the 698 is still a wet pen; especially in comparison to the plumix?

On my 698 the Plumix nib is not a 'wet nib." However, the ink flow is OK. For the most part my stub nibs are not exceptionally wet (without some tweaking).

fpn_1500598607__plumixnib.jpg

When I said that I meant the Jinhao. The Wing Sung is not a dry nib, but nothing spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

my 698 is slow to start, skips, and writes dry if at all. in fact i find mine pretty unusable--a clear QC-fail. I've flossed and brushed my nib--this is a joke; i only flossed it---and nothing's changed. It also dries out quickly even when the cap is torqued down firmly.

It's interesting to read that a swapped-in nib might work with this pen. I'd be happy if it took care of the issues with actual writing. I like the appearance (except the cap-finial), and the piston mechanism with clutch-thingy is clever. If I ever have a spare Pilot nib that I don't need in another pen, I may experiment, but I'd be happier if it worked as-is.

my 698 is slow to start, skips, and writes dry if at all. in fact i find mine pretty unusable--a clear QC-fail. I've flossed and brushed my nib--this is a joke; i only flossed it---and nothing's changed. It also dries out quickly even when the cap is torqued down firmly.

It's interesting to read that a swapped-in nib might work with this pen. I'd be happy if it took care of the issues with actual writing. I like the appearance (except the cap-finial), and the piston mechanism with clutch-thingy is clever. If I ever have a spare Pilot nib that I don't need in another pen, I may experiment, but I'd be happier if it worked as-is.

I had that problem with one particular ink in mine. I switched to a different ink and it's been 100% reliable ever since. My impression from using this and a few pilot metropolitan is that pilot feeds are somewhat picky about the ink that you use. (With hundreds of ink choices this isn't horrible unless your The One Ink refuses to work in your new pen.)

Try Waterman ink, and report back.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I bought my Wing Sung 698 like a month ago. It is a great pen and the more I use it the more I like it, to the point that I am thinking of ordering a couple more.

I like to play with my pens, so I added a few plastic transparent beads in the barrel reservoir. These four komboloi beads are approximately 3 mm in diameter and fit loosely inside the barrel, plus they make a nice imperceptible ticking sound when you swing the pen around and help shake the ink. :)

I also added a little soft wax around the nib and feed where they insert into the section. It was ONLY when I was carrying the pen in my trousers pockets that I was getting some minor ink droplets inside the cap sleeve. Now do not get me wrong, the pen does not leak or anything, and perhaps I should not go around walking with a piston filled pen in my pocket either. Anyway, this minor modification with the soft wax has helped and the cap of my demonstrator stays meticulously clean.

It is a great demonstrator pen and it is quite affordable too. It is one of my best pens. Here are a few pics:

post-125657-0-27254300-1502265025_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-07765900-1502265110_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-18538500-1502265042_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-35608000-1502265085_thumb.jpeg

And a few more pics:

post-125657-0-87729400-1502265380_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-29942900-1502265418_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-66889100-1502265596_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-86781500-1502265944_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-68292200-1502265979_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-46277300-1502265416_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-08646300-1502265464_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

I've only had my 698 for a few days. I replaced the nib with a Pilot stub. I'm very impressed. Reliable and a nicer feel in the hand than the TWSBI Eco for about half the price.

What is a cheap source for a Pilot M nib replacement?

I noticed to my pleasant surprise that my 698 is writing wetter now that I have had it for a few weeks. I think the feed must've finally gotten truly saturated...that's the only explanation I can come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

I've only had my 698 for a few days. I replaced the nib with a Pilot stub. I'm very impressed. Reliable and a nicer feel in the hand than the TWSBI Eco for about half the price.

What is a cheap source for a Pilot M nib replacement?

A bit late, but you can always buy a pilot MetroP for 10$ on amazon