Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• Sandy1

• LizEF

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correction: "How did I end up writing so big" :D

I must admit that when I write on Rhodia Dot Pad paper, I can't decide how to fit my writing into the squares, so I usually take up two instead of one. If i don't, it always looks cramped.

All the better to see the detail that goes into such beautiful writing! Notebooks are a small price to pay. :)

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

attachicon.gifsmall.jpg

ETA: That's a Rhodia dot pad

That was meant as a tease for _InkyFingers. (Mention of Rhodia was only to give a sense of the size of the writing.) Sorry that wasn't clear.

Thanks LizEF. It is a tease. And at the same time, I find it amusing to see how large did everyone writing became if you are into broad edged calligraphy. If not, then this wouldn't apply to you.

We used to cramp our writing into small spaces with tiny, little letters. Does with FP, do we tend to be more lavish with our writing in accordance to what pen we use?

Thanks LizEF. It is a tease. And at the same time, I find it amusing to see how large did everyone writing became if you are into broad edged calligraphy. If not, then this wouldn't apply to you.

We used to cramp our writing into small spaces with tiny, little letters. Does with FP, do we tend to be more lavish with our writing in accordance to what pen we use?

post-131827-0-61561000-1491412858_thumb.jpg

(Karas Kustoms Fountain K Mini 1.1 mm stub with Diamine Blue Lightning)

(Previous was Pilot Vanishing Point fine (reverse writing) with Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo)

Hi,

I write on blank sheets.

My natural hand gives about 20 rows on a portrait A4 without margins.

In my most recent Ink Reviews, I use an 8mm row height, which is a compromise to accommodate various nib widths.

Scaled samples of N54M from three pens:

B. Sheaffer 440 (Burgundy) + steel F nib.

D. Platinum President Purist + 22K B nib.

F. Waterman Carene + 18K factory stock Stub nib.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2054%20Massachusetts%20N54M/INK214_zps283c8b4e.jpg

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Very interesting handwriting Sandy.

+1 LizEF

Hi,

Thanks!

I have yet to be banned from the H&HI Forum. Perhaps my use there is to serve as an example of things that have gone terribly wrong. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Post deleted by author in the interest of good taste. :rolleyes:

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I have LOTS of paper & even MORE bottles of ink; I like the larger nibs & will blame it on my advancing age, "all the better to see what my tools are capable of!"

I think writing larger only seems a problem if the user is used to small nibs. I admit my Lamy 2000, OBB is a paintbrush & a Lamy 1.9 is a bit much, BUT I wish I could convince my MB OBB, (which I paid a lot of $ to change from it's previous medium, including a return flight to TX to protest it was NOT as requested) to follow in the footsteps of it's German cousins & "just a bit more, PLEASE?"

It just seems if you want shading inks, exhibiting sheen, have invested in nibs & paper to support same, then "Bigger is Better."

I hope that you all know the answer. The answer is JOY !

Now, go walking down the street, with a bag of Snickers, to share with strangers.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Not very

post-133142-0-60923100-1491448114_thumb.jpg

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

I write at roughly 4-5mm (that's 4/25th of an inch for those still using the 50s system of units 😁). Using 8mm ruled paper forces you to write small...

A lifelong FP user...

I write at roughly 4-5mm (that's 4/25th of an inch for those still using the 50s system of units ). Using 8mm ruled paper forces you to write small...

Hi,

It seems you have touched on an important aspect: it is not the row height, but the spacing of the rows.

Indeed, as I write on blank sheets, I make somewhat of an effort not to jumble my ascenders with my descenders. In terms of metrics, my writing might (fingers crossed) be more legible at 1.5 spacing: basic row is 8mm, but to avoid jumble, a breathing space of 0.4mm between rows seems necessary:

________

4mm

________

8mm

________

4mm

________

8mm ...

As ever, I am not subject to the tyranny of the page or some prescribed ruling.

Try wring a longish letter with a wide nib on an A0 sheet. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a "fills space available" writer. The bigger the line width, the bigger I write. If I use 5mm graph paper, I write small. If I have 8mm lined, I write bigger. That's why blank paper is actually the best judge of the size of my "natural" writing.

And I write big, usually in the 7-9mm range. I think it comes from learning old school cursive. Back in the old days, we were definitely taught to form our letters so that they had proper spacing, and to have a decided "rounded" look so that they were more legible.

If I'm in a hurry, my writing gets more angular and more compact. But if I take my time? 7-9 mm and it will look v close to a D'Nealian cursive writing chart:

400px-Cursive.svg.png

Edited by Aquaria

With a fp, not does with

I don't do calligraphy, a statement which will probably be rendered unnecessary by the picture below. If I slow down and make an effort to produce my very best handwriting, it would probably be a bit larger than this, but when I'm writing naturally, thinking about what I'm writing rather than how, it generally settles in at this size.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Pens/20170424_092140_zps9yakfpcn.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin