The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Black Cartridges That Come With Sailor Pens?

sailor ink cartridge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gamingoodz

gamingoodz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:43

I don't own any Sailor inks and I just got my first Sailor pen a 1911 standard/profit size and when I bought it I misread the auction and I thought it came with a converter. However, the pen did no come with a converter. Of course I don't have any Sailor converters so I popped in one of the black Sailor cartridges that come with the pen. 

Does anyone know if the black cartridges that would come with a Sailor pen like the one I bought are the same ink as the Sailor Gentle Black bottled ink? 

I am trying find my go to black ink and so far I am really liking this ink. I used to use Noodler's black but the ink just dries out in my pens to quickly and takes quite some time to dry if in a wet pen. It is still my go to ink for when I want a permanent ink though or I'm using very cheap paper. So far I've tried Noodler's black or course, Monteverde  midnight black. J. Herbin Perle Noire, and Aurora Black. I want to try Cross black as well because I've heard some good things about it even though a cross ink wouldn't normally be on my radar. 

Thanks!

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

Sponsored Content

#2 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2017 - 19:18

Sailor sells the standard Jentle colors in both bottles and cartridges, so I'd say yes, it's the same ink..

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#3 aardvarkbark

aardvarkbark

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 23:25

You may want to call a Sailor dealer (nibs.com, goldspot.com) and ask them.  Probably best to say you received the pen as a gift rather than admitting you bought it someplace else.  Good form dictates you should buy the bottled ink and converter from them once they have offered guidance, of course.

Edited by aardvarkbark, 08 April 2017 - 23:26.

#4 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 20:20

My go to Black inks are: Aurora Black and Sailor Jentle Black. Both dark with good lubricating properties, are well behaved, water resistant and easily cleaned up.

How do you like your Sailor Pen? I prefer the 1911 cigar shape as well. I have some pro gear models that I find just a little bit too short since I don't write posted.

#5 atomic_doug

atomic_doug

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 23:08

The Sailor black carts supposedly contain the same ink that comes in Sailor Jentle black bottles, but (and maybe this is just a feeling) they look different to me.  Bottled Jentle black looks deeper to me, the stuff in the carts looks washed out.

No...maybe...I'm not sure.  I'm almost certain I can see a difference.

I'm probably just being so nitpicky I'm seeing things that aren't there, haha.

My go-to black ink is Montblanc Permanent Black.  It's ISO certified for permanence, it's actually pretty easy on pens, and it's black.  I don't like shading in black, I like it to be a light-cannot-escape-it black. 

Edited by atomic_doug, 09 April 2017 - 23:09.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, ink, cartridge

Sponsored Content

|