Lamy Safari "terrarot" / "terracotta Orange"

InkMagic

Hello!

(I don't know how to change the title, but apparently this pen might be called "Early Red" instead, see later messages.)

I bought a few pens at an auction, one of them was a Lamy Safari. I was curious what the colour was called then I saw it was a bit sought after, the early colour "Terrarot" or "Terracotta Orange". Or is it something not so desirable about exactly my pen? I notice some are textured, mine is very shiny. Any other things that makes mine different from other variants of "Terrarot"? The top of the cap is black with an indented X. The end of the barrel says "W.GERMANY". I noticed the colours when looking at pictures online vary from bright orange to dark reddish brown, but is this just due to lighting, camera and screen, or do they vary? When looking at my pictures on my screen they look pretty much the same except the first picture is a bit too bright, maybe the rest is also a little bit too bright. Also I would say the real colour is a bit more rich, more saturated.

I do like the pen, but as I am not rich I am interested in how much I am likely to get if I sell it? And is the price going up or down? It looks like it is maybe never used.

Thanks!

post-127913-0-46491100-1491321670_thumb.jpg

post-127913-0-41212800-1491321692_thumb.jpg

post-127913-0-58778500-1491321709_thumb.jpg

post-127913-0-11733900-1491321733_thumb.jpg

Edited by InkMagic

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InkMagic

• pen2paper

• Cyber6

• Azulado

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless there is something wrong with my eyes.. yours looks very RED to me.

Terracota Orange is actually a brown-orangey (terracota) color. Below is a pic.

a5bf95f24ea2171a63463437ffa9fbfe.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I just google it up.. "red lamy with black clip"

Yours seems to be the 2010 RED Edition

http://www.vintagepensacsandparts.com/shopimages/products/extras/rsla.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Unless there is something wrong with my eyes.. yours looks very RED to me.

Terracota Orange is actually a brown-orangey (terracota) color. Below is a pic.

I just google it up.. "red lamy with black clip"

Yours seems to be the 2010 RED Edition

Concur. And even allowing for the possibility of a color shift or bad lighting in your photo, your picture looks like the slick, glossy finish, while I believe the Terracotta has the textured, matte finish.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

OK, thanks for the input! But why would they write W.GERMANY, West Germany, 20 years after it and East Germany became Germany? Maybe they didn't want to make a new thing to make the plastic in, but I hoped Lamy was classier than that :-) (Not saying they are though.) However why I thought I had the old one is I have viewed some pages that mention things in my pen with references like "the early Lamy's have... this and that", these are the nib without text, the "W.GERMANY" text and no side-holes for the new converters (don't know when they came though). Also the new black nibs seem to be black in another way.

The pen seems red, and it is pretty red, however some colours change a lot depending on which light you have and while I photographed it in late afternoon blue sky-light, in the evening in darker warm white artificial light (maybe the key is darker) it looks quite a lot more dark red brick-coloured, even if not as much as some pictures I have seen, and not as brown as your picture cyber6. It seems artificial warm white light is pretty common online. I have seen the red Lamy both in reality and online and while I have not studied it for long in reality my impression of it is that it is very red with none or close to none brownish tones, however my pen has a slight brownish tone. Maybe my photos are not very good for distinguish it from the red one as it doesn't bring out the brown tone. I chose natural lighting because I find it irritating with all the different lightings, also it is pretty strong and has a nice balance. I would say either the lighting or something with the pictures of brownish pens online are really odd, or there is a big variation in actual "Terrarot" pen colour, or I don't have a "Terrarot". (Or there is a little variation in pens and the pictures are a little odd.)

Edited by InkMagic

I looked on a number of lists which seemed pretty serious about having all the models, which was why I thought it was the Terrared, because there were no other early one close to red (addition: at least red with black clip, don't remember if there was with chromy clip)! But now I found one which calls a pen looking very similar to mine as "early red"! I must say I did a lot of research first, but apparently not enough if it's called "Early Red" and that is not a variant of "Terrared", however I think I saw pages which called mine (or at least something much more similar than the very brownish ones) as "Terrared" also, but maybe they were incorrect, or there is some other variation to "Terrared"...

So, if this is the new situation (?), anything special to say about my specimen, and what am I likely to get if I sell it?

Edited by InkMagic

You have a gloss red, not matte terra rot which is a matte texture burnt orange color. Yours is a true red color, not orange.

It also has the black clip and nib, not the later chrome.

If your cap is original to the rest of the pen, then the W. Germany should date this as just before my early red with black marked Germany.

There's a past discussion on this change either in a thread by Christof, or Haywoody.

OK, thanks!

You mean if the cap is not put on a later red also marked "W.GERMANY", or did I misunderstand? My text is on the end of the barrel, not on the cap, if you misunderstood. I shall try to find that discussion! Maybe the early red is not much more collectable than the later red?

Just to make things clear, if I would choose a name for this pen myself it would certainly be red, I am not colour blind :-) And when I speak of a slight brownish tone, that is what I seem to see as a very very little leaning of the red towards brown, ink-maniac-small, which very well the newer red also might have.

Edited by InkMagic

I'd love to have the dull matte textured earthy burnt orange and savanna green too, but these are noticeably matte textured = NO shine whatsoever.

Likewise the later orange shiny finishes are very bright, No texture whatsoever.

I've yet to see red or orange be mistaken for the matte versions which typically show age fading, not color shifts.

Your possible plus is the W Germany, which may be early true shiny red. Subtle manufacturing differences that signal date change do sometimes add value.

While I wouldn't buy an additional early shiny red, another collector of each change may find this marking desirable. But to seek balance here, likely not anywhere near matte terra rot or savannah green.

Hope this helps :-)

edited to add, just noticed one who is vastly knowledgeable in Safari colors (+other pens) peeking in, and may zero in on the W. G mark to help you.

Edited by pen2paper

The burnt orange is nice. I wonder if this pen is still being made by lamy

Yes they do look nice! I think I remember at least one which was at least close to shiny which someone said was a Terracotta, but maybe something wrong with that.

OK, yes helps a lot, thanks again! I have seen prices all over for the "Terrared"/"Terracotta Orange", just thought that if I possibly get a few tens of Euros or more for it I might sell it. I really value the pens too, but I am pretty rough with them, so if someone cares about this piece of history they better save it from me :-) I'm just being honest :-)

This is how the Terrarot looks:

10794825226_a4477629d6_o.jpg

Your pen is called Hot and came in 1989 to the market:

29455088282_623aa68d7d_o.jpg

That's why the early Hot models were stamped with W.Germany. I have one as well:

25118484976_d333b2cb47_o.jpg

The color of the early Hot is slightly darker than the later models.

10814718096_6ea4acf69f_b.jpg

Hope this helps.

C.

Edited by christof

Wow, that's detailed, very interesting, thanks! Yes it helps a lot!

Very interesting also that the cap screw is metal, I hadn't noticed that.

Do I get it right if when the "W.GERMANY" turns to "GERMANY", the metal cap screw and darker colour is replaced by plastic cap screw and brighter colour? (The darker is the "early early" so to speak? Or is it only the "W.GERMANY" which is called "Early Red"?)

Edited by InkMagic

Do I get it right if when the "W.GERMANY" turns to "GERMANY", the metal cap screw and darker colour is replaced by plastic cap screw and brighter colour?

Not sure if these twi features are related.

(The darker is the "early early" so to speak? Or is it only the "W.GERMANY" which is called "Early Red"?)

"Early Red" is not an official term.
...and the darker red IS the W.Germany. (Sorry, the pictures are not synchronous).
C.
Edited by christof

OK, interesting, thanks again! I had no problem with the pictures, just double checking to make sure :-)

There certainly is no big difference, and I'm speaking from memory of the brighter red, but I was not so impressed with the bright red but I really like this colour, almost makes me want to start a collection (the detailed information is inspiring too) but I don't have the economy even to collect Lamy's :-) I can have a collection of one. But I'm very satisfied with using the pens I have! Aside from differences in lighting, camera and screen, some deep colours are just not possible to display with the technology of today (at least the technology of yesterday which is what I own), and I would like to hold up those two red pens in reality and compare them.

Here is a cropped picture from the auction, from the picture they showed online. A good example of how different photos can be I'd say, also it looks quite orange... And I think they have OK equipment. I didn't buy this because of the orangey look on the picture though, I also went there to check them out.

I'll put one of my pictures here too for comparison.

post-127913-0-57278800-1491406309.jpg

post-127913-0-60281300-1491408060_thumb.jpg

Edited by InkMagic

It has a black clip and is glossy. The only orange glossy Safaris had a red and a chrome clip. Easy to google it. The photo couldn't be right.

I'm not saying my pen is orange (addition: nor did I think so when buying or any time after), just to make clear. Just trying to show variance in photos.

I'm pretty sure the photo is right (addition: I mean in the sense that there is no tampering with pen or photo, the photo could be "lying" by itself so to speak), or else they have replaced the pen and I don't think so, besides I'm kind of friends with them. It was also kept locked in a glass cupboard and I had to ask to look at them.

Thanks though!

Edited by InkMagic

• 2 months later...