Share My Happiness

Lexus77

Hi everybody,

so, I have some wonderful news that I wanted to share with somebody. And since most of my friends seem the just zone out when I start rambling about fountain pens, I thought you would be the right crowd to appreciate this pleasure.

First, a bit of backstory: As an accordionist, one of my sources of steady gigs and income, is my work for a female shanty- and sea songs choir. An wonderful group, with great enthusiasm and atmosphere, that really takes care of each other. I'm so happy to work with these people. Last saturday, they celebrated their 12,5 years existence, and to celebrate this thoroughly, they hired a band, arranged for free drinks, and made sure their was enough free food. So, party party party.
One of the traditions when they have parties, is that certain groups of ladies do an amateur performance. Mostly humourous little bits, with a lot of inside jokes. And this time they had thought about making a '...got talent' parody: Three ladies dressed up as our chairman, conductor, and secretary, to be the judges, and 7 other ladies would do some awful versions of famous songs, with, of course, lyrics adapted to tell jokes about the people in our choir.
So, I was asked to accompany this. Easy enough. It didn't have to be good, after all, it just had to be funny for our audience.

So, in the last few week we did three rehearsals, where a lot of good food was eaten and a lot of good drinks were had, and we laughed a lot. And last saturday, according to plan, we cracked up everybody. They especially liked the part where 'Marlene Dietrich' started flirting with me, and I ran away scared, while still playing the accordion.

After our bit, I was talking with some of the hsbands, when a lot of women formed a conga line. Little did I know they weren't just passing by me, they were actually stopping right in front of me. Then the madness started... they said they all wanted to date me, I said I had to disappoint all of them, and they all kissed me, hugged me, and thanked me. Madness. Then one of them pulled out a rock. I didn't know what to make of this. She gave a speech on how grateful they are that I do more for this choir than is my actual duty, and that they're very happy with the work I do, and that they'd thought I deserved a bit more.

It turns out, the rock was actually a geode. Beautiful quartz. But there was also some cash inside, and I had to promise I would use it for a fountain pen, since I liked them so much.

When I got home, I already knew what I wanted: I have had my eye on a Conklin Duragraph for a very long time, and I immediately ordered one in amber.

Today, the mailman brought me my little treasure. It's the first time I have paid this kind of money for a pen. Though I do own a Waterman Torsade, Waterman Hémisphère, and some other pens in this price range, I got these second hand for cheap.

I'm so happy with this pen. It wrote beautifully, straight out of the box. No skipping, no hard starts, a wonderfully wet medium line, not glassy smooth, but very smooth nevertheless. I'm very relieved, because I have read varying reviews. Some say the nib isn't all that great and call it toothy. I guess I either lucky, or Conklin has improved their nibs since. Because mine is very good.
It's also the first pen that came to me in a pen coffin. I do like this idea. And it's very reassuring to have a lifetime limited warranty on a pen. So, you could say, this is the day my passion for fountain pens was taken to the next level. I haven't even let go of it, since it came, writing, scribbling, or just holding it, all this time. Even now, typing this message on my keyboard, the Duragraph is right in front of me. I just love it SO MUCH.

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lexus77

• LizEF

• OakIris

• IndianElf

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

.... Even now, typing this message on my keyboard, the Duragraph is right in front of me. I just love it SO MUCH.

Congrats, Lexus77! Meanwhile, no photo of the new pen? ;)

Congrats, Lexus77! Meanwhile, no photo of the new pen? ;)

Thanks. Here's a picture. Not my own picture, but the same pen:

17492650_1281448205283692_33322310506466

Gorgeous pen and a fun background story; it is wonderful to be appreciated. Enjoy your new pen - a yummy color and, from your description, an excellent writer. Congratulations!

Holly

Thanks. Here's a picture. Not my own picture, but the same pen:

[pic]

Nice. Sort of, but not exactly, like wood grain. I like the flat ends and the shape of the section. Looks like you picked a winner. Now, where the writing sample? ;) (Just teasing, though I always enjoy seeing writing samples.)

That's a hilarious story.Not gonna lie, left me a little confused. But I hope you enjoy this little hobby of ours.

Gorgeous pen and a fun background story; it is wonderful to be appreciated. Enjoy your new pen - a yummy color and, from your description, an excellent writer. Congratulations!

Holly

Thank you. Yes, it certainly is one of the best parts of my job: I won't get rich from it, but it's great that people enjoy my work.

Nice. Sort of, but not exactly, like wood grain. I like the flat ends and the shape of the section. Looks like you picked a winner. Now, where the writing sample? ;) (Just teasing, though I always enjoy seeing writing samples.)

Yes, in the picture it's a bit like wood grain. But that doesn't really do it justice. In real life, you can really look into this material, it translucent with reflective bits, and it sort of reminds me of a tiger's eye stone.

I'll be uploading some writing samples soon. I think I need to pick a better ink first. I filled it with Diamine sepia, because it matches the color, but the rather fine medium point doesn't really do this ink justice. So, I think I'll fill it with Red dragon instead, or perhaps eau de Nil, before making some writing samples.

That's a hilarious story.Not gonna lie, left me a little confused. But I hope you enjoy this little hobby of ours.

I do, very much.

Great pen and a greater story; to be appreciated for one's work is special and it sounds like you work with very special people!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.