Conklin Nozacs

PenHero

Hi, Folks,

This is a Conklin Nozac 5000 word Chevron design in Green Pearl celluloid c. 1936 along with a finished but not imprinted barrel and a newly finished cap before the cap band was installed. Conklin introduced the Chevron line in September 1936. Chevron pens have celluloid caps and barrels with a patented design of translucent strips separated by strips of alternating direction rows of colored celluloid arrows. The celluloid sheets were wrapped into tubes that were then worked into finished caps and barrels. The seam can be found with careful examination. This tube construction method allowed the barrel to be a single piece where the translucent strips in the top half allow for viewing the ink level. You can see this pen’s Word Gauge stamped on the top half of the barrel. The bottom half hides the piston mechanism. The Chevron line came in four colors: Red Pearl (red and silver), Gray Pearl, Green Pearl, and Black, and two sizes, 7000 word and a slimmer 5000 word pen. Both are the same length, about 5 3/8 inches long. It would typically have a Cushon Point nib that was introduced in 1936. It also features the new 1936 patent clip. The 7000 Word Gauge Chevron sold for $7.50 and the 5000 sold for $5.00. Matching pencils were $3.75.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacChevronGreenPearl_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Estragon

• amberleadavis

• benbot517

Hi, Folks,

This is a Conklin Nozac 5000 word Chevron design in Red Pearl celluloid c. 1936. Conklin introduced the Chevron line in September 1936. Chevron pens have celluloid caps and barrels with a patented design of translucent strips separated by strips of alternating direction rows of colored celluloid arrows. The celluloid sheets were wrapped into tubes that were then worked into finished caps and barrels. The seam can be found with careful examination. This tube construction method allowed the barrel to be a single piece where the translucent strips in the top half allow for viewing the ink level. You can see this pen’s Word Gauge stamped on the top half of the barrel. The bottom half hides the piston mechanism. The Chevron line came in four colors: Red Pearl (red and silver), Gray Pearl, Green Pearl, and Black, and two sizes, 7000 word and a slimmer 5000 word pen. Both are the same length, about 5 3/8 inches long. It would typically have a Cushon Point nib that was introduced in 1936. It also features the new 1936 patent clip. The 7000 Word Gauge Chevron sold for $7.50 and the 5000 sold for $5.00. Matching pencils were $3.75. Note the matching section and filler button.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacChevronRedPearl_2048_03.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Nozac Penline Green faceted piston fill fountain pen c. 1937. Conklin announced four new Penline colors in 1937, including Grey, Red, Green and Golden based on a 1935 patented brickwork and stripes design celluloid. The Nozac Penline was introduced in 1936 and was offered in rounded and faceted versions. The new brickwork Penline pens were introduced in 1937. Nozac pens use a piston filling system Conklin introduced in 1931. The pen fills by twisting the end cap while the nib is in ink. The ink level could be seen in the translucent front end of the barrel. These 5 3/16 inch long pens use the 1936 patented clip and typically have 14 karat gold nibs stamped CONKLIN over CUSHON over POINT over 14KT over U.S.A. At the top of the nib is the Conklin Crescent logo. Standard size Nozac Penline pens like this one sold for $5.00 and the matching pencil was $3.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacPenlineGreen_2048_04.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks,

This is a Conklin Nozac 5000 word Chevron design in Gray Pearl celluloid c. 1936 along with a finished but not imprinted barrel and an unfinished finished cap and barrel. Conklin introduced the Chevron line in September 1936. Chevron pens have celluloid caps and barrels with a patented design of translucent strips separated by strips of alternating direction rows of colored celluloid arrows. The celluloid sheets were wrapped into tubes that were then worked into finished caps and barrels. The seam can be found with careful examination. This tube construction method allowed the barrel to be a single piece where the translucent strips in the top half allow for viewing the ink level. You can see this pen’s Word Gauge stamped on the top half of the barrel. The bottom half hides the piston mechanism. The Chevron line came in four colors: Red Pearl (red and silver), Gray Pearl, Green Pearl, and Black, and two sizes, 7000 word and a slimmer 5000 word pen. Both are the same length, about 5 3/8 inches long. It would typically have a Cushon Point nib that was introduced in 1936. It also features the new 1936 patent clip. The 7000 Word Gauge Chevron sold for $7.50 and the 5000 sold for $5.00. Matching pencils were $3.75.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacChevronGrayPearl_2048_03.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a standard size Conklin Nozac Penline Gray Pearl faceted piston fill fountain pen c. 1936. This size pen has a 12 facet cap and barrel. The Nozac Penline was introduced in 1936 and came in rounded and faceted versions. Nozac pens use a piston filling system Conklin introduced in 1931. The pen fills by twisting the end cap while the nib is in ink. The ink level could be seen in the translucent barrel. These 5 3/16 inches long pens were offered three colors, including Grey Pearl, Red Pearl, and Green Pearl with the new 1936 patented clip. This example has the 14 karat gold nib stamped CONKLIN over TOLEDO over U.S.A. over 14K. At the top of the nib is the Conklin Crescent logo. This pen also has a black section. Standard size Nozac Penline pens like this one sold for $5.00 and the matching pencil was $3.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacPenlineGrayPearl_2048_04.jpg

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks,

This is a Conklin Nozac Endura Symetrik piston filler in Black celluloid c. 1931. Conklin introduced the Nozac in 1931, with the earliest known advertisement appearing in the February 21, 1931 Colliers Weekly. The first Nozacs were offered only in black and with a completely opaque barrel. Conklin applied for the first of two piston fill patents on November 24, 1930, with the second, improved design applied for on April 20, 1931. Both were awarded on March 28, 1933, so early Nozacs are stamped PAT. PENDING and early advertisements show Nozacs with that stamping. The earliest known advertisement showing the Nozac Symetrik name appears in the September 5, 1931 issue of The Literary Digest. By as early as May, 1932 Symetrik no longer appears in advertisements associated with Nozacs. This 5 3/16 example's barrel is stamped TRADE Conklin MARK over TOLEDO, OHIO, U.S.A. over ENDURA over SYMETRIK. Note that it is not stamped NOZAC, making it probably a very early example. The opposite side of the barrel is stamped PAT. PENDING. It has no ink view barrel top. The piston knob has FILL and EMPTY markings with arrows. The gold nib is stamped Conklin over ENDURA, as shown in many 1931 advertisements. In 1931, all black Nozacs sold for $6.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacSymetrickBlack_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi, Folks!

Moved from the 2019 Fall Pennant announcement thread.

This is the back cover: Final production Conklin Nozacs in gray marble and rose marble c. 1937-1938, shown with a V-Line Nozac of the same era in Royal Blue for comparison. Note the

similarities: both models use the same clip and cap band and neither has the Word Gauge feature on the barrel.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/Fall2019PennantBack_2048.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a shot of the three Conklin Nozac pens photographed for the Fall 2019 Pennant. Left to right are gray marble, rose marble, and gold marble.

Moved from the 2019 Fall Pennant announcement thread.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/Fall2019PennantConklins_2048.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks,

This is a Conklin Nozac in rose marble celluloid c. 1937-1938. This 5 3/8 inch long piston fill fountain pen came in two sizes: a 14-sided oversize model and a slimmer 12-sided model of the same length. There are three known colors. The official names are unknown, but collectors have settled on rose marble, gold marble, and gray marble, to distinguish these celluloids from those previously used by Conklin. The pens use the same cap band and 1936 patent clip as the V-Line Nozacs and do not have the Word Gauge feature. These were probably-final production Conklin
Nozacs and don’t appear in the 1936 or 1937 catalogs, price lists, or known advertisements. Pricing is unknown, but probably similar to previous models.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacRoseMarble_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks,

This is a Conklin Nozac in gray marble celluloid c. 1937-1938. This 5 3/8 inch long piston fill fountain pen came in two sizes: a 14-sided oversize model and a slimmer 12-sided model of the same length. There are three known colors. The official names are unknown, but collectors have settled on rose marble, gold marble, and gray marble, to distinguish these celluloids from those previously used by Conklin. The pens use the same cap band and 1936 patent clip as the V-Line Nozacs and do not have the Word Gauge feature. These were probably-final production Conklin Nozacs and don’t appear in the 1936 or 1937 catalogs, price lists, or known advertisements. Pricing is unknown, but probably similar to previous models.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacGreyBlackMarble_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks,

This is a Conklin Nozac in gold marble celluloid c. 1937-1938. This 5 3/8 inch long piston fill fountain pen came in two sizes: a 14-sided oversize model and a slimmer 12-sided model of the same length. There are three known colors. The official names are unknown, but collectors have settled on rose marble, gold marble, and gray marble, to distinguish these celluloids from those previously used by Conklin. The pens use the same cap band and 1936 patent clip as the V-Line Nozacs and do not have the Word Gauge feature. These were probably-final production Conklin Nozacs and don’t appear in the 1936 or 1937 catalogs, price lists, or known advertisements. Pricing is unknown, but probably similar to previous models.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacGoldMarble_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Nozac V-Line piston fill fountain pen and pencil set in Burgundy c. 1937-1939. The V-Line Nozac has a single color herringbone pattern in Royal Blue, Burgundy, Pearl, Black, and Nile Green. The V-Line has a faceted celluloid cap and barrel with no Word Gauge, a plain single wide cap band and the Conklin clip. The pattern alternates direction with each stripe. Large (wider) fountain pens sold for $7.50, slim fountain pens sold for $5.00, and matching twist action pencils were $3.50. Shorter Ladies pens were $5.00. This one is 5 ¼ inches long. Conklin offered 14 karat gold Cushon Point nibs with the Conklin Crescent logo or circle stamping with platinum plating in the circle. Nib grades offered were extra fine, fine, medium, coarse, stub medium, stub broad, left oblique, two way and Recorder in extra fine, fine and medium.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinVLineBurgundySet_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Found this one at an estate sale this week.  I'll have to send it out for restoration.  I nearly missed it, but luckily I decide to walk through that room a second time just before I checked out.  The the second 5M Nozac I've bought at an estate sale for next to nothing. 

nozac.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 11:40 AM, Argee said:

Found this one at an estate sale this week.  I'll have to send it out for restoration.  I nearly missed it, but luckily I decide to walk through that room a second time just before I checked out.  The the second 5M Nozac I've bought at an estate sale for next to nothing. 

nozac.jpg

WOW!

Those are beautiful pens.....

Had some of the other vintage Nozacs at one time....they're gorgeous pens.

Enjoy!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy