Conklin Nozacs

PenHero

Hi, Folks,

I've always liked Conklin Nozac pens, but over time they have become crazy expensive, possibly a combination of the appeal of the piston filling unit that "winds like a watch", one of the first to market in 1931, and that Conklin used very interesting celluloids on their pens.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozac1280_01.jpg
I'm dating this Conklin Nozac Word Gauge Black fountain pen to c1934-1935 primarily due to the two-tone nib, which appears in 1934 and 1935 ads and catalog pages, but not after. The interesting bit is the nib looks like the Cushon Point nibs shown from 1936 on, instead of a circular masked nib without the Conklin Crescent. The 5-M Word Gauge pens were the smaller of the two models, the larger being marked 7-M, and were marked to show how many words the user had left to write. The pen sold for $5.00 and matching pencils were $3.50.
Thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Estragon

• amberleadavis

• benbot517

Very nice! I quite like the Nozac, and think that the Word-Gauge imprints are a fun idea. Thanks for the overview!

"Oh deer."

• 2 weeks later...

Nice picture. I think it's cool.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Nozac Penline in the rounded style, 5 inches long c1936. The Nozac Penline was introduced in 1936 and came in rounded and faceted versions. Nozac pens use a piston filling system Conklin introduced in 1931. The pen fills by twisting the end cap while the nib is in ink. The ink level could be seen in the translucent barrel. They were offered in red pearl, green pearl and gray pearl with the new 1935 patented clip and had 14 karat gold nibs. Medium size Nozac Penline pens like this one sold for $5.00 and the matching pencil was $3.50.

post-225-0-39898300-1501415165_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

I do like mine, but the piston is not very durable. Got to get mine replaced.

I'm dating this Conklin Nozac Word Gauge Black fountain pen to c1934-1935 primarily due to the two-tone nib, which appears in 1934 and 1935 ads and catalog pages, but not after. The interesting bit is the nib looks like the Cushon Point nibs shown from 1936 on, instead of a circular masked nib without the Conklin Crescent. The 5-M Word Gauge pens were the smaller of the two models, the larger being marked 7-M, and were marked to show how many words the user had left to write. The pen sold for $5.00 and matching pencils were $3.50.
Thanks!

So how many words were left to write per "M"? Minutes, Months, Millions? None of those M's seem to make sense. I am curious as to what Conklin was advertising the scale to mean.

Hi, Folks!

This is a large size Conklin Nozac Penline in the faceted style, 5 3/16 inches long c1936. The Nozac Penline was introduced in 1936 and came in rounded and faceted versions. Nozac pens use a piston filling system Conklin introduced in 1931. The pen fills by twisting the end cap while the nib is in ink. The ink level could be seen in the translucent barrel. They were offered in red pearl, green pearl, golden pearl and gray pearl with the new 1935 patented clip and had 14 karat gold nibs. Large size Nozac Penline pens like this one sold for $7.50 and the matching pencil was $3.50.

post-225-0-86908500-1501499888_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Jim, that looks like a watermelon. I love it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi, Folks,

This Conklin Nozac might be considered very uncommon or even rare.
This is a Conklin Nozac 5000 word Chevron design in red and silver celluloid c. 1936. What makes this pen special is the section is also made with the Chevron celluloid. The majority of these pens have black sections. Conklin introduced two new lines, Chevron and Penline in September 1936. Each is constructed of tubes made from sheet celluloid with repeating striped patterns. Chevron pens have translucent strips separated with strips of alternating direction rows of colored celluloid arrows. The sheets were wrapped into cap and barrel tubes that were then worked into finished caps and barrels. The seam can be found with careful examination. Look for the white line near the base of the cap. This tube construction method allowed the barrel to be a single piece with the translucent strips in the top half for viewing the ink level. You can see the Word Gauge on the top left of the barrel and the imprint further down. The bottom half hides the piston mechanism. The Chevron came in three colors: red and silver, silver and green, and two sizes, 7000 word and the slimmer 5000 word shown here. Both pens are the same length, about 5 1/4 inches long. This example has the 14 karat gold Conklin Toledo nib with the circle stamping, which would have had platinum plating in the circle instead of the Cushon Point nib that was introduced in 1936. Nibs available were extra fine, fine, medium, coarse, stub medium, stub broad, left oblique, two way and Recorder in extra fine, fine and medium. The model also features the new 1936 patent clip. The 7000 Word Gauge Chevron sold for $7.50 and the 5000 sold for $5.00. Matching pencils were $3.75.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacChevron_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Nozac V-Line piston filler in Black in the larger size, c1937. The V-Line Nozac has a single color herringbone pattern in Royal Blue, Burgundy, Pearl, Black, and Nile Green. The V-Line has a fourteen facet plastic body with no Word Gauge, a plain single wide cap band and the Conklin clip. The black pens actually have the herringbone pattern, but it is sometimes hard to see except in the ink visible top section of the barrel. This pen is unrestored, so the pattern only shows under bright back lighting. The pattern alternates direction with each stripe. Large (wider) fountain pens sold for $7.50, slim fountain pens sold for $5.00, and matching twist action pencils were $3.50. Shorter Ladies pens were $5.00. This one is 5 1/4 inches long. Conklin offered 14 karat gold Cushon Point nibs with the Conklin Crescent logo or circle stamping with platinum plating in the circle. Nib grades offered were extra fine, fine, medium, coarse, stub medium, stub broad, left oblique, two way and Recorder in extra fine, fine and medium.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacVLine_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Nozac V-Line piston filler in Nile Green in the longer rounded size, c1937. The V-Line Nozac has a single color herringbone pattern in Royal Blue, Burgundy, Pearl, Black, and Nile Green. The rounded V-Line pens came in two sizes, a long and short length and featured sections in the same material as the cap and barrel. The 1936 Conklin clip and the single wide cap band are gold plated. The V pattern alternates direction with each stripe. Both rounded pens sold for $5.00, and matching twist action pencils were $3.50. This one is 5 inches long. Conklin offered 14 karat gold Cushon Point nibs with the Conklin Crescent logo or circle stamping with platinum plating in the circle. Nib grades offered were extra fine, fine, medium, coarse, stub medium, stub broad, left oblique, two way and Recorder in extra fine, fine and medium.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacVLine_1280_02a.jpg
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a better look at the barrel transparancy of the Conklin Nozac V-Line piston filler in Black in the larger size, c1937:

http://penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacVLine_1280_05a.jpg

The barrel is pretty ambered, but the V shape panels do show through, even in reflection.

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Nozac Word Gauge 5M Demonstrator piston filler in the rounded shape c1934-1936. The Word Gauge Nozac was introduced, based on Conklin advertising, in 1934. Each of the markings indicated a thousand words, so a 5M pen would be 5,000 words. The Word Gauge pens came in both rounded and faceted versions. Unknown if the Demonstrators were made faceted. This 5 1/4 inch long pen has barrel stampings "The Conklin Pen Co., Toledo, Ohio, U. S. A., NOZAC, Reg. U. S. Pat. Off." on one side of the barrel and "U. S. Pats., 1902809-10-11" on the other side. The pen has the April 28, 1918 patented Conklin clip. Conklin introduced the Cushon Point 14 karat gold nib in 1936, so either the nib on this pen is a replacement, or the pen was later production.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacDemo_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Endura Nozac Symetrik Jet Black piston filler fountain pen c1931. The Symetrik was the streamlined part of the Endura line in the 1930-1931 catalog and bears the gold filled Crescent inlay in the cap. This Nozac model is essentially a piston fill Symetrik. This way Conklin could trade on the Endura quality image and the Symetrik shape with this new model. This 5 1/8 inch long pen has barrel stampings "Trade Conklin Mark, Toledo. Ohio. U. S. A., ENDURA NOZAC, SYMETRIK" on one side of the barrel and "PAT PENDING" on the other side. It has the April 28, 1918 patented Conklin clip. It uses the 14 karat gold Conklin Endura nib.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinEnduraNozacSymetrikBlack_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This Conklin Nozac might be considered very uncommon or even rare. It is a Chevron model in red and silver celluloid in an unusual round, not faceted shape, with a large clear ink-view barrel section and no word gauge markings, c1936-1937. The twist filler knob on this example is made of the same Chevron celluloid as the cap and barrel. The cap band is plain with a line engraved at the top and bottom instead of the usual zigzag engraving. The Chevron came in three colors, red and silver, silver, and green, and two sizes, 7000 word and the slimmer 5000. Both pens were the same length, about 5 ¼ inches long. The majority of these pens have black sections. The 7000 word Chevron pens sold for $7.50 and the 5000 word pens sold for $5.00. Matching pencils were $3.75. Conklin 14 karat gold Cushon point nibs with the Crescent logo or with the circle stamping were available in extra fine, fine, medium, coarse, stub medium, stub broad, left oblique, two way and Recorder in extra fine, fine and medium.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacChevron_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Nozac V-Line piston filler in Royal Blue in the larger size, c1937. The V-Line Nozac has a single color herringbone pattern in Royal Blue, Burgundy, Pearl, Black, and Nile Green. The V-Line has a fourteen facet plastic body with no Word Gauge, a plain single wide cap band and the Conklin clip. The pattern alternates direction with each stripe. Large (wider) fountain pens sold for $7.50, slim fountain pens sold for $5.00, and matching twist action pencils were $3.50. Shorter Ladies pens were $5.00. This one is 5 ¼ inches long. Conklin offered 14 karat gold Cushon Point nibs with the Conklin Crescent logo or circle stamping with platinum plating in the circle. Nib grades offered were extra fine, fine, medium, coarse, stub medium, stub broad, left oblique, two way and Recorder in extra fine, fine and medium.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacVLineBlue_1280_02a.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Conklin Nozac model C-59 7M Word Gauge Jet Black piston filler c. 1936. This 5 1/8 inch long model is an interesting combination of a ten faceted cap and lower barrel and a rounded clear ink view upper barrel. The two barrel pieces are threaded and sealed together. The C-59 Nozac was also available in marbled Red Pearl and Green Pearl and sold for $7.50. The markings on the ink view window indicated how many thousands of words of ink was left in the pen. Conklin was transitioning to the new 14 karat gold Cushon Point nibs in 1936. Catalog images show this pen with the Conklin platinum plated circle stamped nib. The pen has the earlier 1918 patent clip, which Conklin replaced with a new patented clip in 1936. The inlaid crescent appears below the pocket clip, moved from above the clip by 1933. Nib grades offered were extra fine, fine, medium, coarse, stub medium, stub broad, left oblique, two way and Recorder in extra fine, fine and medium.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ConklinNozacWordGaugeBlackFacet7M_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!