M101N Bright Red - So Little Interest?

bbs

When pictures of this first came out it looked interesting, but apart from posts in Market Watch and The Mall, no one seems to be discussing this one - really strange for a new release.

I read Joshua's great informative review on the Pelikan's Perch last night, and sadly it seems Pelikan has lost its way on this one.

I cannot understand how the pen can hit the market with what appears to be a mismatched cap and barrel. Did QC at HQ get it badly wrong? Has some poor manager slipped up somewhere? Or does Pelikan really not care about what it's producing now, or the customers?

This has the air of other pen companies - Conway Stewart, Omas, Delta - that have hit hard times and desperately churned out models to use up the materials they had in stock. Don't get me wrong, I have some lovely pens from those days, and wish the companies that seem to be reviving those brands every success. But Pelikan? And such a high price for this model?

I know the first 'reissued' tortoiseshell M101N has a lot of fans but I didn't go for that as the cap and piston knob material seemed too plasticky to me and the colour didn't seem to blend with the binde - that's personal taste.

I did buy the Lizard version, and it's one of my favourite Pelikans - classy material, well made and a wonderful nib. Exactly what a reissue model should be.

I also got the Red Tortoiseshell, but wasn't so wowed as the materials didn't strike me as being quite right - again the piston knob and section verged towards cheaper materials.

I was excited by the pre-release pictures of the Bright Red as I hoped it would be a return to the standard of the Lizard, but it seems not. I'm ranting a bit about this because I'm hugely disappointed by what seems to be a missed opportunity. Of course, I haven't seen the pen in person, and I may end up getting one. But not if the cap and barrel really are mismatched, and certainly not at the launch price!

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbs

• ian1964

• Calabria

• sargetalon

Interesting reaction. In what way do you see that the cap and barrel are mismatched? Perhaps you should take a look at the pen "in the flesh".

Peter

Have a look at Joshua's (Sargetalon's) excellent review

https://thepelikansperch.com/2017/04/02/pelikan-m101n-bright-red-review/#more-5083

It seems that more than one pen has mismatched materials, and from the pictures and video the cap seems more muted and less prominently flecked than the barrel.

I totally agree I need to see an actual pen, but that's not just my perception.

Yes, perhaps the cap and piston ends are all the same material and they just look better in black ....

I just found it unusual that so little has been speculated about this model (that I've seen, anyway) when usually there are pages of comments about upcoming releases.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I think that the difference is related to the slight transparency of the plastic. I actually like this pen and admire the company for bringing something new. Really pretty pen forgetting the price.

I watched Brian Goulets video last night and he mentions some companies that put very little effort in being innovative. For example, just changing some colours and saying it is a new release etc. I used to be a big fan of Pelikan but at some point I genuinely got bored of the same old same old. Yes some of their special editions are interesting (eg Lizard, some of their vermeil editions etc) but at large we are seeing the same old pens just in different colours year after year after year. As an old fan I wish to be reatttracted to them again at some point.

I'm not sure that it is safe to say there is so little interest in the Bright Red. From vendors that I've heard from, sales have been good. Like any new finish, it will appeal to some and not to others. I think one of Pelikan's biggest strengths is that they produce pens in a wide variety of sizes and finishes. I feel like there is literally something for everybody. Sure, one release may fall a bit flat but that is not something to condemn them over. The Bright Red is a nice pen as I stated in my review but the finish doesn't really do it for me. I strive for honesty in my reviews and provided my honest perspective. I certainly invite everyone to draw their own conclusions. I'm sure for some this will be a grail pen.

The cap and barrel mismatch on my pen is definitely present but it is subtle. It is not a deal breaker by any measure but something that stood out to me which I wanted to make sure others were aware to look out for because I know things like that are very bothersome to some. I don't think it's a reflection of quality control as it may just be how these are manufactured.

I certainly understand your reaction as I too get disappointed when a release doesn't do it for me. Then I remember the next release is right around the corner and thank Pelikan for saving me some money ;-)

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I'm not sure that it is safe to say there is so little interest in the Bright Red. From vendors that I've heard from, sales have been good. Like any new finish, it will appeal to some and not to others. I think one of Pelikan's biggest strengths is that they produce pens in a wide variety of sizes and finishes. I feel like there is literally something for everybody. Sure, one release may fall a bit flat but that is not something to condemn them over. The Bright Red is a nice pen as I stated in my review but the finish doesn't really do it for me. I strive for honesty in my reviews and provided my honest perspective. I certainly invite everyone to draw their own conclusions. I'm sure for some this will be a grail pen.

The cap and barrel mismatch on my pen is definitely present but it is subtle. It is not a deal breaker by any measure but something that stood out to me which I wanted to make sure others were aware to look out for because I know things like that are very bothersome to some. I don't think it's a reflection of quality control as it may just be how these are manufactured.

I certainly understand your reaction as I too get disappointed when a release doesn't do it for me. Then I remember the next release is right around the corner and thank Pelikan for saving me some money ;-)

Thanks, Joshua, it's good to hear the pen is selling well, I just meant there wasn't much discussion about it in this forum compared with other new releases.

Also very good to hear that any 'mismatch' may well not be a deal breaker. It's always in the eye of the beholder, and I look forwards to beholding this pen at some point and falling in love with it. As long as there's a bargain price attached!

In the meantime, many thanks for reviewing it so well.

I didn't know about it....the red tortoise had little play too. Well for me with the retros' including the lizard the killer was they had the modern semi-nail nib. :doh: :headsmack: :gaah: :wallbash:

I have my '50's 400 semi-flex B on my 605 and would have to do the same for any of the retro pens to get a good to better nib.

In the meanwhile I have more '50's 400's so could do that.

The red tortoise would be of more interest to me. Though I'd have to price which second hand pen is 'better' the real one or the retro. I'm more use to buying old cheap pens...and those '30's tortoises are not cheap. :crybaby:

As Sargetalon said, there are pens for everyone. I really my self have no need of a orange pen....no matter who makes it.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have been lurking since I first commented when this pen was announced. The "mismatch" is probably due to the underlying amber inner barrel which gives the barrel a darker look to it. I have the same kind of thing on my vintage 101N. The binde on the barrel has a green tint to it from the green inner barrel. I have the two tortoise M101N's which I like a lot, so unless the price comes way down I am not planning right now to get this.

Edited by MarkTrain

I didn't know about it....the red tortoise had little play too. Well for me with the retros' including the lizard the killer was they had the modern semi-nail nib. :doh: :headsmack: :gaah: :wallbash:

I have my '50's 400 semi-flex B on my 605 and would have to do the same for any of the retro pens to get a good to better nib.

In the meanwhile I have more '50's 400's so could do that.

The red tortoise would be of more interest to me. Though I'd have to price which second hand pen is 'better' the real one or the retro. I'm more use to buying old cheap pens...and those '30's tortoises are not cheap. :crybaby:

There have been dealers selling the M101N's without nibs (eg Regina Martini). If I were to get the bright red M101N, I would get one without the nib if it was the cheapest option. These pens with a vintage nib on them are a really nice way to go and right now I have a 50's 400 OB "script" nib in my brown tortoise M101N. (If you don't have a vintage nib available, Rick Propas can sell you one.)

Edited by MarkTrain

There have been dealers selling the M101N's without nibs (eg Regina Martini). If I were to get the bright red M101N, I would get one without the nib if it was the cheapest option. These pens with a vintage nib on them are a really nice way to go and right now I have a 50's 400 OB "script" nib in my brown tortoise M101N. (If you don't have a vintage nib available, Rick Propas can sell you one.)

What a good idea! Although perhaps I got lucky with my Lizard - while not flexy, its nib is springy and soft and a delight to write with.

And yes, the underlying inner barrel making the barrel darker makes perfect sense and I retract previous cavils!

I tend to agree with OP that the re-issued version of all the M101N pens were quite a disappointment. They look superficial and plasticky. Alas these are the closest that we can get of the original 101N without selling our kidney. I will still buy the re-issued pen for the sake of collection but I still wish that Pelikan could do better in replicating the original. It is without doubt that the vintage 101N tortoise and lizard have the original look of a tortoise shell and lizard skin and their exotic outlook are still appealing until now.

OTOH, IMHO, the OOTT 1931 & 1935 pens could be the nearest mirrored to the original version without the plasticky or cheap feeling. Unfortunately, these acquired pens' rubber parts have now oxidised and the captop of the blue celluloid has discoloured to purple.

Sorry if my comments offend anyone here. The above are just my rants of 2cents.

I just wanted to say that your posts on the M101N pens have been quite helpful on your website and videos, thank you. It helped me make the decision to try the tortoiseshell brown pen, and I fell in love with it. Now trying to purchase the BB nib unit for it as well as add the others to my collection, one at a time :)

I have been lurking since I first commented when this pen was announced. The "mismatch" is probably due to the underlying amber inner barrel which gives the barrel a darker look to it. I have the same kind of thing on my vintage 101N. The binde on the barrel has a green tint to it from the green inner barrel. I have the two tortoise M101N's which I like a lot, so unless the price comes way down I am not planning right now to get this.

I was thinking something very similar may be at the root of this as well. The cap has a clear liner only towards the top portion where the cap top/finial screws in but the half closer to the threads has no such liner. The barrel of the pen (not counting the ink window) may have that liner as well (have not disassembled the barrel yet) and also has the ink and piston unit within it which may also lead to it being slightly darker for that reason. If im looking at vintage and comparing the tortoise, I can only look at one comparison, a 500LL and it is much lighter, so much so that I can fairly easily see the piston unit as well as any ink within (interestingly also has a clear green grip section after the tortoise striations on the barrel and stripes in gold on the knob).

If I may, as many of you here may have M101N pens of your own, I was wondering if any of you have experienced the cap bands being loose? able to rotate and slightly too large for their recess? (if they are flush on one side of the cap, then they are like steps on the opposite side) Thank you all for your time.

I've seen it in person, I didn't think the materials were mismatched. Somehow I didn't expect it to be THIS small :) however, wgat kills it for me is the price, I think for what it is, it is way too expensive, even here and even considering Pelikans' excellent service.

I've been watching Pelikan's pricing over the past few years, and the models they are bringing out (most do nothing for me).

Sales seem to be buoyant and the company is innovative in communicating with its customers (Hub events, choosing the Edelstein colour of the year). So it looks like they are doing a good job of understanding their customers and developing products that will sell.

The new M101N in red doesn't excite me, and the price is simply too high. Maybe I'll change my mind if I see it at a pen show, but I doubt it.

My general conclusion about Pelikan is quite simple: I am increasingly not part of their target market.

It won't stop me from using what I have, maybe looking at used items, and occasionally drooling over a particularly lovely new model, but I don't expect to be buying much in coming years...

(edited for length)

Edited by stephanos

I don't think this is a terrible pen, or that any of the m101n reissues have been poor. I'm not sure what people mean when they've complained about quality since I have all three prior to the Bright Red, and they are all well-built pens that are typical Pelikan quality except for a minor detail on the clips. These are fascinating and beautiful pens which I have loved collecting and using. I agree that the Bright Red isn't exciting -- in fact, the material they used, while it seems to show up better in real life, is just not an attention-grabbing or really distinctive finish. In any case, I do agree that the prices for these have been far higher than they should. That's been the part that is likely fueling much of the disinterest or ambivalence among the collecting crowd here (including myself.)

Interesting that most people here don't actually own the pen. I wonder who the "brisk" sales are going to. I agree that I'm increasingly not part of Pelikan's target market - that became clear with the reissue M120 at a highly inflated price.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang