Lamy Gold Nib

bayindirh

Sorry, I know it has been asked before, but the threads I've read has failed to reach a definitive answer, so I needed to ask again. :blush:

I have a Lamy CP-1 black, with medium nib. I've bought it as a kind of grail pen, and I'm happy with it, but while buying I always thought I can upgrade it to a gold nib later on.

I have another pen with gold nib, a Sheaffer Targa 14K with inlaid nib and I love the feel of gold. I wanted to ask that whether Lamy's gold nibs worth the price difference. I mostly use Lamys and I smoothed many nibs during their normal usage, so I know that the steel nib is in fact very smooth and high quality, however if the gold nib creates a change worthy of the price, I'd like to upgrade that pen.

Durability wise, my CP-1 is my "desk" pen. It's living on my desk, not leaving home, but seeing daily, stable usage.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bayindirh

• rlb

• Calabria

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 Lamy gold nibs. I bought a B that I have had ground to an OB cursive italic by John Sorowka, and a M nib. I use them both on Lamy Studios: the OBCI on a Studio Anthracite, and the M on an Imperial Blue Studio. The steel nibs are very smooth but I prefer the gold nib as I feel that it has a softer touch. For me, the incremental cost is worth it but that judgement is highly individual: one person's value is another's extravagance.

Cheers,

David.

I have 2 Lamy gold nibs. I bought a B that I have had ground to an OB cursive italic by John Sorowka, and a M nib. I use them both on Lamy Studios: the OBCI on a Studio Anthracite, and the M on an Imperial Blue Studio. The steel nibs are very smooth but I prefer the gold nib as I feel that it has a softer touch. For me, the incremental cost is worth it but that judgement is highly individual: one person's value is another's extravagance.

Cheers,

David.

Thanks David. As I said earlier, I like the feel of gold and I generally write for long sessions. I will consider buying a medium gold. I actually like CP1 for its understatement and a white/gold nib will make it a sleeper pen.

Thanks again.

The gold nibs and the steel nibs of the "Safari" type can be exchanged.

If the price difference is worth it is a matter of taste. A regular steel nib costs about 5 EUR at my go-to shop, the regular Gold one costs 75 EUR. There are some special nibs in steel and gold that are a bit more expensive.

I have 2 gold nibs (M) on 2 different pens. They are extremely smooth, but I consider them rigid, which I don't mind at all.

I haven't tested the black nib on my Emporium yet (XF)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The gold nibs and the steel nibs of the "Safari" type can be exchanged.

If the price difference is worth it is a matter of taste. A regular steel nib costs about 5 EUR at my go-to shop, the regular Gold one costs 75 EUR. There are some special nibs in steel and gold that are a bit more expensive.

I have 2 gold nibs (M) on 2 different pens. They are extremely smooth, but I consider them rigid, which I don't mind at all.

I haven't tested the black nib on my Emporium yet (XF)

D.ick

Thanks for your response. I'm after smoothness in fact. Flex nibs and other features doesn't interest me. I'm planning to buy the M nib too. I'm not aware of the specialty "gold" nibs, I'm only aware of steel A, LH and 1.x stubs and the normal gold, two tone nibs, do you have any info on these special gold ones?

In the end possibly I will buy a white / gold two tone M nib.

Thanks,

Hakan

I prefer gold nibs. I prefer the tone of their feedback to that of steel nibs. So far I haven't persuaded myself to swap in any Lamy gold nibs to my Al-Stars or Safaris - but I'm really close to doing that. :)

I prefer gold nibs. I prefer the tone of their feedback to that of steel nibs. So far I haven't persuaded myself to swap in any Lamy gold nibs to my Al-Stars or Safaris - but I'm really close to doing that. :)

I also prefer their feedback, with the flow and smoothness, however I'd be reluctant to switch a nib of a pen that I daily I carry in my bag. Because of that I will replace the nib of my grail pen, the understated CP-1.

Possibly I will do that with my next paycheck :)

Thanks for your response. I'm after smoothness in fact. Flex nibs and other features doesn't interest me. I'm planning to buy the M nib too. I'm not aware of the specialty "gold" nibs, I'm only aware of steel A, LH and 1.x stubs and the normal gold, two tone nibs, do you have any info on these special gold ones?

In the end possibly I will buy a white / gold two tone M nib.

Thanks,

Hakan

The special gold nibs are the nibs for the Imporium which are about 10EUR more expensive. (Z56 and Z57, the standard gold is the Z55)

Also there are black steel nibs with a PVD coating (Z52) (regular nib is Z50)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The special gold nibs are the nibs for the Imporium which are about 10EUR more expensive. (Z56 and Z57, the standard gold is the Z55)

Also there are black steel nibs with a PVD coating (Z52) (regular nib is Z50)

D.ick

Ah thanks, I'm aware of the black/gold two tone & considered this for my Black CP-1, however didn't know Imporium's nibs.

However since I like the regular white / gold two tone, I'll probably buy that one for my pen.

Thanks again,

Hakan

I do prefer Lamy's gold nib to the steel.

However, for me the writing experience is not 15 times better, which is why I have never bought a a stand-alone Lamy gold nib despite having often though about it.

I know you can't reduce everything to a rational calculation, and I certainly don't. But playing the opportunity cost game is quite a useful exercise (i.e. what else could you get for that money, and would other things give you better value?)

(And if you keep your eyes open and get very lucky, you can sometimes find a special edition (e.g.) Studio fitted with a gold nib for less than the price of the stand-alone nib. It is very rare, but it does happen.)

I haven't yet tried one but some people say they have more character than a Lamy 2000 nib.

I have never found any nib to have much personality. They are fairly boring company at dinner parties.

Cheers,

David.

I have never found any nib to have much personality. They are fairly boring company at dinner parties.

Cheers,

David.

Not always. Ply Jo Wo with drink and she's anybodys.

I do prefer Lamy's gold nib to the steel.

However, for me the writing experience is not 15 times better, which is why I have never bought a a stand-alone Lamy gold nib despite having often though about it.

I know you can't reduce everything to a rational calculation, and I certainly don't. But playing the opportunity cost game is quite a useful exercise (i.e. what else could you get for that money, and would other things give you better value?)

(And if you keep your eyes open and get very lucky, you can sometimes find a special edition (e.g.) Studio fitted with a gold nib for less than the price of the stand-alone nib. It is very rare, but it does happen.)

Thanks for your answer. You're right, that gold nib costs something, however the pen I'm planning to convert will be my grail pen and will be used for a long time. I'm not planning to collect pens, since they are much more personal and they evolve with you and they become a part of your hand.

I'm not rushing to buy the nib, I've bought a lot of inks lately :)

I will be looking for that violet studio, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to find it.

Thanks again.

I do feel more comfort in the gold nibs than the steel ones. They offer some spring, without being flexy.

But anyway, asking the question is giving the answer, you know you want that gold nib for your grail pen, and you want us to provide you with an excuse :)

I would definitely recommend getting one.

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

I do feel more comfort in the gold nibs than the steel ones. They offer some spring, without being flexy.

But anyway, asking the question is giving the answer, you know you want that gold nib for your grail pen, and you want us to provide you with an excuse :)

I would definitely recommend getting one.

Thanks for the answer. I also want the gold nib for the softness and smoothness. It's 6 parts excuse, 4 parts asking for expertise in fact.

Honestly, I generally have seen Lamy's as fairly priced not-so-special pens till recently, but observing how their steel nibs polish over time with normal usage shown me that they are far more refined than just being "fairly priced, good enough" level. I thing I've understood the philosophy behind their designs. Easy nib change, utilitarian, but with a very good feed and nib for the price. They're far more than they show and I started to enjoy them even more.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the regular gold nib as well as the imporium type gold nib on the cp1. They both work perfectly. The gold nibs feel a bit softer than the steel nibs.

I have used the regular gold nib as well as the imporium type gold nib on the cp1. They both work perfectly. The gold nibs feel a bit softer than the steel nibs.

Thanks for the feedback. Are gold nibs a bit wetter or are they the same?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. Are gold nibs a bit wetter or are they the same?

generally wetter.

I find the 14k gold push on lamy nibs to be outstanding. Soft, smooth wet.

People always ask if 14k gold nibs are better/worth it over steel. I always thought that if you tried a few, say, Lamy Studio with steel nibs and a few with the 14k nibs you would have a pretty good test right there.

I went through a few boxes of Lamy 14k nibs today at my dealer's. All were winners. Incredible consistency and quality. All wrote well, and also looked perfect under magnification.

YMMV.

(imo the gold nibs are worth it. they are a joy to use)

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

do you have any info on these special gold ones?

From what I know, there are oblique nibs, i.e., oblique nibs can only be had in gold, since Lamy stopped the production of oblique steel nibs, much to my chagrin.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.