• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• pjo

• JayHomeBody

• Spidey

How important is quality paper with fountain pens? I can't justify paying the prices for it.

The answer depends on you, your nib, and your ink. For me, it's well worth the price as part of the experience I'm looking for - that super-smooth feeling, even with an EF nib and a somewhat dry ink.

There are inks that do well on cheaper paper. And some inks are well lubricated to help the experience feel smooth (though I don't know how well they do on cheap paper). Larger nibs will not be as sensitive to the texture of the paper (the more sensitive it is, the rougher the experience). Some people don't care whether the writing feels smooth (I suppose).

There are also differing degrees of paper from lousy to glassy smooth, so that while you can't justify paying Tomoe River prices, perhaps you can justify 24lb HP LaserJet prices (or something). Also, if you look for it, you can find inexpensive notebooks (WalMart, dollar stores) made in Brazil (and sometimes other places) which are surprisingly good.

So, the question is, what experience are you looking for? What are the limiting factors (e.g. you want a particular nib (size) and/or ink)? What's the tolerable price range for paper? Given all that, folks might be able to help you find the best experience within your boundaries. :)

Great, thorough answer by LizEF; I would suggest trying something good and not that expensive, like one of rhodia's pads, buy it when you get something from amazon, ebay or whatever to save on the shipping cost.

For me it made a big difference, makes me want to write more, write better, and many inks look spectacular, even if they take longer to dry.

500 sheets of HP 32lbs paper is about $13 and will probably last for a while.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

First, a definition. Quality in this context is how well it works with fountain pens. Not price.

There is little relationship between quality and price in this context. I have tested expensive papers and cheap papers, and found papers that work well with FPs at both ends of the scale, as well as ones that should only be used in a laser printer or with pencil.

Next, are you talking about notebooks/journals/writing pads (bound paper), binder refills or loose leaf cut sheet?

As far as cut sheet, my favourites are Stora Enso 4CC ($15 / ream) and Double A ($5 / ream).

For binder refills, my favourites are Kokuyo Campus ($10 / 100 sheets) and Muji ($4 / 200 sheets)

For notebooks, I don't really have a favourite, but Red n Black and Maruman Mnemosyne would be very high up.

It also depends on the purpose. I use cheap paper for first and second drafts, and the put the final copy in either a binder or good notebook.

Others will all have their favourites, but what is available to you will depend on where you are.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I use poor quality paper frequently because I do not get to the pick all of the paper i use in life. As had been stated above it depends on the nib and ink flow. I use a fine nib most of the time. I have no trouble using terrible paper.

Something to consider is why you are using a fountain pen.

If it is because you like the variety of inks then a fine nib and any old paper will do.

If it is because you are writing calligraphy with a juicy flex nib then you may to need to spend more for paper. You may be able to get away with heavy laser jet paper also. Some people print lines on this paper or those little dots that take the place of line.

When all is said and done this is supposed to be fun. If you cannot justify the cost them you can find a way around it. Many more pricey notebooks go on sale. You may need to write on only one side of the page.

How important is quality paper with fountain pens? I can't justify paying the prices for it.

using a variety of writing instruments and inks you become aware of what works, what doesn't, for your budget.

keep an eye out here for notices of pen friendly papers, sometimes at discount stores, or a specific paper when the school year begins.

also pen groups often trade sample pages

new products offer samples, typically a few sheets.

In this case (see link below) three full sized samples

http://rspaperproducts.com/whitelines/

if you like this product since you're in the USA (? your flag) it is available through one of the members here at FPN

Paper can be expensive but some of my faves are relatively well priced. Muji and Daiso both have excellent FP grade paper and are quite cheap. I tend to use Clairefontaine as much as anything but it isn't cheap.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I agree that paper should really be referred based on quality and not price as there are a variety quality papers that can be had for very little money. Good paper is very important if you wish to enjoy the writing experience with a FP, and not become distracted by feathering, bleeding etc.

I would definitely search this forum a bit to find the posts that refer to affordable paper and notebooks, many are widely available. My favorites are no longer made unfortunately, so I cannot direct you specifically.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Quality paper is important to make writing more enjoyable especially for my journals. I want paper that will hold up for decades as I want my writings to be preserved. Sometimes life is revealed in the details. Now for work, I don't risk my fountain pens there so cheap paper used for notes or to drop in the filecabinet is just fine.

I use poor quality paper frequently because I do not get to the pick all of the paper i use in life. As had been stated above it depends on the nib and ink flow. I use a fine nib most of the time. I have no trouble using terrible paper.

Something to consider is why you are using a fountain pen.

If it is because you like the variety of inks then a fine nib and any old paper will do.

If it is because you are writing calligraphy with a juicy flex nib then you may to need to spend more for paper. You may be able to get away with heavy laser jet paper also. Some people print lines on this paper or those little dots that take the place of line.

When all is said and done this is supposed to be fun. If you cannot justify the cost them you can find a way around it. Many more pricey notebooks go on sale. You may need to write on only one side of the page.

Well said!

In general I agree with Zeeppo's comments and use a fine nib to overcome problems with poor paper and or wet ink. However if you seek out a good dry ink for your pen you may be able to write on most papers.

I find the problem is not at home where I can control the ink/paper/nib variables, but rather when I am away from home and have to write on paper supplied by someone else or by a business.

Peter

If you can't justify spending 15 or 20 dollars on a fountain pen friendly notebook then I'm at a loss as to what to say

Life's too short to endure bad paper.

If you want to fall head over heels in love with the mere act of putting words down on paper, then investing in paper of admirable qualities is a crucial first step.

I strongly agree with the above statement. Writing on "well behaved" paper is a pleasure in itself. Why deny yourself?

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

The following link might be useful.

http://www.nanamipaper.com/pages/notebook-value-calculator.html

Price comparison of various papers.

In my mind Tomoe River is the best, and it just so happens you get the best value for your dollar if you go for the 480 page Seven Seas Notebook, which just saw a price reduction to $24.

On good paper the ink doesn't soak in too fast and the pen glides on a puddle of ink. On cheap absorbent paper you feel the tip of the pen dragging on the paper. It's much nicer to write on good paper. Also sheening inks won't sheen very well on cheap paper. Really bad paper feathers, which I can't stand, but good paper doesn't have to be expensive.

Target composition notebooks (look for "made in Vietnam") for 50 cents each, 100 sheets / 200 pages. Wide or college ruled. The website claims it's available in graph paper too, but it's never ever in stock. In store only.

http://www.target.com/p/pallex-composition-notebook-graph-ruled-200pgs-black/-/A-17079119

The paper is thin, probably 16 pound, but the ink puddles on the paper nicely.

I get bleed thru with some inks (Baystate Blue), but no feathering.

It's so cheap I don't care if I only use one side.

Target UP & UP (Target's house brand) "made in Vietnam" legal pads -

yellow or white. $2/5 5"x8" or $3/3 8.5"x11". In store only.

HP Paper, Premium Choice Laserjet Paper, 32lb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000099O2W

You can make your own dot paper or graph paper from the laserjet paper:

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/squaredots/

http://sethest.dx.am/dot-paper-generator/

https://www.worksheetworks.com/miscellanea/graph-paper.html

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/

At work I often use for notes something that I supply and is cheap. Made in Brazil composition books. For journal and correspondence I use nicer paper. Rhodia, Tomoe River, Basildon Bond. HP LaserJet 24 lb is a good tween er paper. Better than Brazil comp books not as nice as the others. Same with red n black. Leuchtturm is at that level or slightly better.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Today I found a company here that provides various specialty papers to industry. They offer free samples to interested parties and so I am now awaiting on half dozen A4 sheets each of Knight Laid paper (100gsm) and Goatskin Parchment (160 gsm). Apparently the latter is rated as a minimum 500 year archival paper! This is a great way to try different paper types. I wonder if other companies do this. Anyone have similar tales in other countries?

I totally understand the cost vs quality anxiety and I have recently been down that path... in the end it depends what you want to use if for. In my case, here's what I have going on... I am in sales and write personal notes to my prospects. As if getting a personal note isn't enough I write with my M800 and am currently using Iroshizuku kon-peki. It all just add a level of style to stand out above the noise. I want the note to make an impression. I was using note cards from Vista Print and although inexpensive the feathering just took away from the impact I was trying to make. I now use Moo.com cards that are more expensive but perform admirably. Quality wins and worth the cost.

On the other hand, my daily notes to myself are written with a Montblanc ballpoint. Using totally cheap paper can make writing a chore while the perfectly smooth papers that are available (Rhodia, Black and Red and the others in that category) make writing a much nicer experience. However, cost is an issue here and I am currently searching for the right balance. Stay tuned... :)

Today I found a company here that provides various specialty papers to industry. They offer free samples to interested parties and so I am now awaiting on half dozen A4 sheets each of Knight Laid paper (100gsm) and Goatskin Parchment (160 gsm). Apparently the latter is rated as a minimum 500 year archival paper! This is a great way to try different paper types. I wonder if other companies do this. Anyone have similar tales in other countries?

I am very interested in locally available (ie new Zealand) good papers for fountain pen ink. So I do hope you let us know your impressions of these papers.

I have tried dozens of locally available papers with very mixed results. Two of the best papers I have found are HP Colour Laser 100gsm, and Canon Top Colour 100gsm. However Canon Office 80gsm is not far behind.

The very best paper I have found was "Offset Print" 120gsm paper from a Printing Company in Wanganui who buy it in large sheets (A0 or bigger?) by the pallet load from a Palmerston North wholesaler. They were happy to cut it into A4 and A3 reams of 500 sheets for me. This commercial print paper takes all fountain pen inks brilliantly with no feathering or bleeding, even with the wettest ink.

Peter