Thrifting Score!

rcrfc

Found these while thrifting. The pic is minus one silvergreen FP which is soaking because it was the only pen of the bunch o be used!!

Paid $0.99 USD each, how'd I do?

post-112158-0-98956800-1491155800_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anne-Sophie

• Astronymus

• MYU

• rcrfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you got 4 Fountain pens at 2$$ each?

Not bad considering some of them are probably NOS.

And 4 nice client pens as a free gift...

Well done

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Nice haul. The only pens I've ever seen in thrift stores around here, are bags of Bic Crystal BPs.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The pens with black clips are older productions, NOS (New Old Stocks), vintages, as they are non longer produced.

Keep the stickers and the little cardboard rings intact, then resell them, you can do it here on FPN and get contemporary users replacement (same pens but with steel clips).

Those would look good in a Lamy Safari, Al Star collector case.

You will likely, make your money back many times over, because you got a great bargain.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

please elaborate

The pens with black clips are older productions, NOS (New Old Stocks), vintages, as they are non longer produced. Keep the stickers and the little cardboard rings intact, then resell them, you can do it here on FPN and get contemporary users replacement (same pens but with steel clips). Those would look good in a Lamy Safari, Al Star collector case. You will likely, make your money back many times over, because you got a great bargain.

Please elaborate on "contemporary users replacement". Do you mean buy the current version of the same model?

please elaborate

Please elaborate on "contemporary users replacement". Do you mean buy the current version of the same model?

Pretty much. But, before you buy a new version, check the prices of those NOS (New Old Stocks) here and on auction sites.

There are collectors of New Old Stock version of the Safari and/or Al Star, they want each one that was produced.

Common colors Safari: blue, yellow, green, red, white and black with a smooth finish are no longer produced with black clips, hence the once that produced at that time are considered New Old Stock.

The fact that a couple of your pens, still have the little cardboard ring and stickers means that they are mint, not used at all, and, in the fountain pen world, this fact can fetch pretty penny.

Did you get the matching boxes?

English version of Lamy's German site. This is the Safari fountain pen page.

http://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/safari/018

As you can see, there is a revival of the black clip for new limited edition models, collectors might want to get the older versions of current models with black clips to complete/enhance their collection.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Ditto everything Anne-Sophie stated. (Hi Anne-Sophie!)

Also, since you have duplicates/same colors, check the caps to make sure original fountain pen caps remain on fountain pens, ballpoint caps on ballpoints.

The red FP was popular and a daily user pen, so finding a mint with sticker is an unusual fun find.

p2p

Ditto everything Anne-Sophie stated. (Hi Anne-Sophie!)

Also, since you have duplicates/same colors, check the caps to make sure original fountain pen caps remain on fountain pens, ballpoint caps on ballpoints.

The red FP was popular and a daily user pen, so finding a mint with sticker is an unusual fun find.

p2p

Hi Pen2Paper!

I realize that the Original Poster has even more of a haul than he thinks, because he is in Australia.

There have been early collectors in Europe and the U.S, and there, one could maybe find those, NOS.

If you so wish target the Safari/Al Star Australian, New Zealand, Singapore, all the South East Asian countries.

Such a great find!

With as many flea markets, yard sales, antique stores, and thrift stores that I go to, you'd think I'd have scored at least one fountain pen by now. :angry: Congrats on your find, I am jealous.

Hi Pen2Paper!

I realize that the Original Poster has even more of a haul than he thinks, because he is in Australia.

There have been early collectors in Europe and the U.S, and there, one could maybe find those, NOS.

If you so wish target the Safari/Al Star Australian, New Zealand, Singapore, all the South East Asian countries.

Such a great find!

Looks to me like the OP is in the USA, given the flag under the username.

Definitely a fine haul! Nice mix of fountain pens and ballpoints. At $0.99 USD each, it's about $7 for the lot, which when sold off could easily net over $100 USD. That's some profit! :thumbup:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Looks to me like the OP is in the USA, given the flag under the username.

Definitely a fine haul! Nice mix of fountain pens and ballpoints. At $0.99 USD each, it's about $7 for the lot, which when sold off could easily net over $100 USD. That's some profit! :thumbup:

Ooops, one of the poster is from Australia and I mixed up.

Vicissitudes of posting when one should be getting their zzzzs, but could not contain her excitement at the wonderful find.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Ooops, one of the poster is from Australia and I mixed up.

Actually not from Australia but from Austria (Europe)....(If you meant Astron)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Actually not from Australia but from Austria (Europe)....(If you meant Astron)

D.ick

So that explains the find!

I don't even have the excuse of the late time posting, I am just very exited of seeing such a wonderful treasure trove!

no-kangaroos-e1459509702774.png

Thanks for the laugh Astron!

But, you guys sure have delicious pastries, beautiful horses and castles!

Thanks for the laugh Astron!

But, you guys sure have delicious pastries, beautiful horses and castles!

Oh and don't forget a passion for highway driving, with their spectacular autobahn. And last but not least, their tall and steep hills / mountains decorating the landscape in so many places. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Austrian pastry? Yeah, got some weight since I got here... not all by pastry, but yeah, those cakes are damn good.

Autobahn? That's Germany. No speed limits on many routes. It's war. - Austria has a general speed limit of 130km/h. Tirol has even a limit of 100 due too the air polution by trucks crossing the country from North to South of Europe and the other way around. As the EU and Austria couldn't come to an agreement to put the trucks on the train instead of the Autobahn everyone has to drive slow now. People are pi**ed and air is still full of truck fumes.

I'll give you 3 bucks a piece. You'll make a lot of profit.

In all seriousness, you can make a decent amount off of these. My recommendation is NOT to ink them, because you won't find them in this state. I personally own the silver/black one with an unmarked nib. I bought that used and paid a good 35$ for it.

Edited by AL01