Atlanta Pen Show

julia239

Hi,

I'm going to my first pen show this year in Atlanta. :)

But, the website doesn't have a lot of information about it, so I was hoping that I could get some information about vendors who will be there and recommendations for things to be sure to see from people who've been before.

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• julia239

• GardenWeasel

• inkstainedruth

• mtbkrdave

Be sure to look carefully at the Franklin Christoph table...sometimes they have prototype colors available. Nibmeisters always seem backed up with work from folks arriving earlier than we do. Spend some time checking out the inks, for sure!

Congrats on taking the plunge Julia! I started attending in 2015 when the PenAddict podcast did their kickstarter. Now it's become an annual pilgrimage!

My advice is always to focus on "things you can only do in person": handle and test out pens, get to know the people you're buying from, get nib work done, and (most importantly) enjoy the camaraderie of the pen community! There will be a lot going on in Atlanta after hours - check out the bar and you'll see lots of folks passing around pens and inks, writing and sketching, and enjoying great company.

Atlanta is divided into 3 rooms, with vendors in the hallways between as well. There's the big room, which is a mix of new, vintage and custom, the middle-sized room which has the Nock, "Anderson Alley", Mike Masuyama and the Franklin-Christoph tables (along with lots of other good ones - Cary had a Fountain Pen Day table set up here last year too), and the "new room" (a.k.a. the "cool kids room") where last year you could find some custom makers, Mark Bacas grinding nibs, Michael R. Sull doing custom calligraphy, and Karas Kustoms.

Wear comfortable shoes, bring along a snack and a drink, and your favorite paper to test things out on.

Hope this helps! I'll be arriving Friday morning in hopes of finding a good group of enablers to cruise the show floor with!

Cheers,

Dave

I haven't been to the Atlanta show, but I've been to others. Another suggestion, especially if you're looking at vintage pens, is to try and bring a loupe or a small magnifying glass to look at nibs, and for cracks and other potential issues. And if you have pens to be repaired or are looking to have nib work done, most of those tables will have sign up lists (and those lists can fill up fast!). Try to get on the list ASAP, and have your phone on you so you'll be prepared when you're on deck. Oh and don't do what I did at one of my first shows -- I stupidly gave people my HOME number instead of my cell phone number, so of course I didn't get the messages.... :blush:

One other thing: have a small notebook with you to keep track of what want and what you've seen --and where ("Okay, that guy has an Emerald Pearl Vac speed line filler for X dollars, but this other table had one that was smaller, but completely restored, for Y dollars..."). Because after seeing table after table of pens your eyes start to glaze over.... :wacko: My first show was DCSS -- which is GINORMOUS and it was a little overwhelming because I didn't know where to look or even what to look *at*. So now I have a list -- "I need to go that table and see if they have replacement hoods for that Parker 51 I got on eBay, and I really need to see about getting the Snorkel repaired; I want to look at A, B, and C tables for ink, and I have to get another twist converter because it's leaking.... Oh, and if ANYONE has a small Pelikan pen stand in the blue glaze that is actually for *sale* and not just a display piece; plus, I need to find someone to maybe ID that no name lever-filler I picked up for twenty bucks...."

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looking forward to another great Atlanta Show!

(Good luck at your first show Julia- Have fun is reason#1)

Frank

Federalist Pens

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Another day closer to the pen show! My focus this year will be for a stout pen carrier for maybe 6 pens...and paper! Journals! Notebooks! Sigh of happiness. Did I mention ink? 😀

Congrats on taking the plunge Julia! I started attending in 2015 when the PenAddict podcast did their kickstarter. Now it's become an annual pilgrimage!

My advice is always to focus on "things you can only do in person": handle and test out pens, get to know the people you're buying from, get nib work done, and (most importantly) enjoy the camaraderie of the pen community! There will be a lot going on in Atlanta after hours - check out the bar and you'll see lots of folks passing around pens and inks, writing and sketching, and enjoying great company.

Atlanta is divided into 3 rooms, with vendors in the hallways between as well. There's the big room, which is a mix of new, vintage and custom, the middle-sized room which has the Nock, "Anderson Alley", Mike Masuyama and the Franklin-Christoph tables (along with lots of other good ones - Cary had a Fountain Pen Day table set up here last year too), and the "new room" (a.k.a. the "cool kids room") where last year you could find some custom makers, Mark Bacas grinding nibs, Michael R. Sull doing custom calligraphy, and Karas Kustoms.

Wear comfortable shoes, bring along a snack and a drink, and your favorite paper to test things out on.

Hope this helps! I'll be arriving Friday morning in hopes of finding a good group of enablers to cruise the show floor with!

Cheers,

Dave

The nearest pen store is about 300 miles away, so I basically can't do anything in person - a primary motivation for going to a show. Atlanta seemed like a good show to start with, a good number of vendors and things to see but not so huge that it'd be completely overwhelming.

I'm definitely looking forward to testing the Franklin-Christoph pens and hopefully getting some nibs worked on.

Thanks for the info.

I haven't been to the Atlanta show, but I've been to others. Another suggestion, especially if you're looking at vintage pens, is to try and bring a loupe or a small magnifying glass to look at nibs, and for cracks and other potential issues. And if you have pens to be repaired or are looking to have nib work done, most of those tables will have sign up lists (and those lists can fill up fast!). Try to get on the list ASAP, and have your phone on you so you'll be prepared when you're on deck. Oh and don't do what I did at one of my first shows -- I stupidly gave people my HOME number instead of my cell phone number, so of course I didn't get the messages.... :blush:

One other thing: have a small notebook with you to keep track of what want and what you've seen --and where ("Okay, that guy has an Emerald Pearl Vac speed line filler for X dollars, but this other table had one that was smaller, but completely restored, for Y dollars..."). Because after seeing table after table of pens your eyes start to glaze over.... :wacko: My first show was DCSS -- which is GINORMOUS and it was a little overwhelming because I didn't know where to look or even what to look *at*. So now I have a list -- "I need to go that table and see if they have replacement hoods for that Parker 51 I got on eBay, and I really need to see about getting the Snorkel repaired; I want to look at A, B, and C tables for ink, and I have to get another twist converter because it's leaking.... Oh, and if ANYONE has a small Pelikan pen stand in the blue glaze that is actually for *sale* and not just a display piece; plus, I need to find someone to maybe ID that no name lever-filler I picked up for twenty bucks...."

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The phone thing is something I would totally do. :wacko:

I like the list idea, especially since my mom might be coming with me and I might have to be keeping track for 2 people.

Thanks for the advice.

Every year I forget to take pictures...this year I will remember! Weekend after this! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm here!!! Can't wait for tomorrow

Pictures? I've never been to a pen show and would love to know your impressions (and pictures... did I mention pictures?)

• 4 weeks later...

Julia... Tell us about your impressions and your purchases.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost