Pilot Heritage 92, F Nib, But Its Too Fine.....

Robert_Boyd

Hi All, can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to my Pilot Heritage 92. I have a F nib, but its to fine for my taste. I haven't yet got anywhere to sell bad pen purchases so I was looking at swapping the nib out. Has anyone found a source for Pilot nibs other than VP nibs. Eventually I hope to try selling some pens on here as i have some fine sailors that i have purchase mediums to replace.

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush: I better learn to write :lticaptd:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert_Boyd

• Driften

• Oranges and Apples

• jar

Your best bet is to buy another pen from a reputable Japanese seller (I typically look at jsubculture.com, but you can also try Amazon, eBay or Rakuten) and try to sell the one you like less.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Your best bet is to buy another pen from a reputable Japanese seller (I typically look at jsubculture.com, but you can also try Amazon, eBay or Rakuten) and try to sell the one you like less.

Nice Thank you!, I guess going to Japan would be a great way too. Its not far from Kazakhstan.

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush: I better learn to write :lticaptd:

Another option: bear in mind that Pilot nibs have common sizing. In the Custom Heritage 92's case, it's a Nr. 5 nib.

You can buy a Pilot Custom 74, which is far cheaper than a 92 and simply swap the nibs, then re-sell the 74. This is an especially appealing option to me because the 92 is such a great piston filler but comes with such a limited range of nib options. You can buy a 74 with, say, a Waverly nib (I think it's a 743) and swap it into the 92.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

Another option: bear in mind that Pilot nibs have common sizing. In the Custom Heritage 92's case, it's a Nr. 5 nib.

You can buy a Pilot Custom 74, which is far cheaper than a 92 and simply swap the nibs, then re-sell the 74. This is an especially appealing option to me because the 92 is such a great piston filler but comes with such a limited range of nib options. You can buy a 74 with, say, a Waverly nib (I think it's a 743) and swap it into the 92.

The 743 comes with the Pilot 15 nib, not a Pilot 5 nib.

My Website

I swapped a FM nib from my 91 with into 92 that came with a F nib. It's an easy swap. Also you can use nib's from a 74.

Yes. Use this strategy. The Pilot Custom 74 could be purchased for under $80.

I swapped a FM nib from my 91 with into 92 that came with a F nib. It's an easy swap. Also you can use nib's from a 74.

Are you certain the nib is actually too fine?

The reason I ask is -- I have four Custom 91s (F,F,F,EF) and one Custom 92 (F.)

At least two of the Fs arrived writing as a Japanese EF and one arrived so dry it wouldn't write at all. My point is -- it's a common issue that these pens write even finer than they should... because:

Often the tines are too tight and flow is restricted.

Once adjusted the width is good for normal use and the correct flow makes them much smoother writers as well. Forgive me if I'm saying things you already know -- but I have a large enough collection at this point to know this is a common issue that can be easily fixed... if this is, indeed, what prompted your post.

Edited by JunkyardSam

A Custom 91 will have a matching rhodium-trimmed nib and costs the same as a Custom 74. Get that instead if you want to swap nibs.

Are you certain the nib is actually too fine?

The reason I ask is -- I have four Custom 91s (F,F,F,EF) and one Custom 92 (F.)

At least two of the Fs arrived writing as a Japanese EF and one arrived so dry it wouldn't write at all. My point is -- it's a common issue that these pens write even finer than they should... because:

Often the tines are too tight and flow is restricted.

Once adjusted the width is good for normal use and the correct flow makes them much smoother writers as well. Forgive me if I'm saying things you already know -- but I have a large enough collection at this point to know this is a common issue that can be easily fixed... if this is, indeed, what prompted your post.

Cool, thank you, i ordered a 91 in medium to check it out. I love how my Pilot Metro writes. I also have some Sailor pens and their F's are just to find for me. I have to get my writing neater haha

• 3 months later...

OP, do you live in Kazakhstan, or are you visiting Astana for the expo? I've met people living in the other Central Asian countries, but never Kazakhstan!

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

• 8 months later...

OP, do you live in Kazakhstan, or are you visiting Astana for the expo? I've met people living in the other Central Asian countries, but never Kazakhstan!

Almaty ) sadly i didn't make it to the expo.