The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Heritage 92, F Nib, But Its Too Fine.....

nibs pilot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Robert_Boyd

Robert_Boyd

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:05

Hi All, can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to my Pilot Heritage 92.  I have a F nib, but its to fine for my taste.  I haven't yet got anywhere to sell bad pen purchases so I was looking at swapping the nib out.  Has anyone found a source for Pilot nibs other than VP nibs.   Eventually I hope to try selling some pens on here as i have some fine sailors that i have purchase mediums to replace. 

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush:  I better learn to write  :lticaptd: 

Sponsored Content

#2 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 18:15

I do not think or cannot find a source for Pilot nibs other than the VP nibs and Falcon nibs. The Falcon nibs cost almost as much as a new Falcon pen though.

Link to Falcon nibs I found: https://www.nibs.com...nit-14k-rhodium

Edited by Oranges and Apples, 02 April 2017 - 18:16.

#3 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 00:51

Your best bet is to buy another pen from a reputable Japanese seller (I typically look at jsubculture.com, but you can also try Amazon, eBay or Rakuten) and try to sell the one you like less.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#4 Robert_Boyd

Robert_Boyd

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:33

Your best bet is to buy another pen from a reputable Japanese seller (I typically look at jsubculture.com, but you can also try Amazon, eBay or Rakuten) and try to sell the one you like less.

Nice Thank you!, I guess going to Japan would be a great way too.  Its not far from Kazakhstan.

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush:  I better learn to write  :lticaptd: 

#5 atomic_doug

atomic_doug

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2017 - 14:53

Another option: bear in mind that Pilot nibs have common sizing.  In the Custom Heritage 92's case, it's a Nr. 5 nib.

You can buy a Pilot Custom 74, which is far cheaper than a 92 and simply swap the nibs, then re-sell the 74.  This is an especially appealing option to me because the 92 is such a great piston filler but comes with such a limited range of nib options.  You can buy a 74 with, say, a Waverly nib (I think it's a 743) and swap it into the 92.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

#6 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2017 - 15:05

Another option: bear in mind that Pilot nibs have common sizing.  In the Custom Heritage 92's case, it's a Nr. 5 nib.

You can buy a Pilot Custom 74, which is far cheaper than a 92 and simply swap the nibs, then re-sell the 74.  This is an especially appealing option to me because the 92 is such a great piston filler but comes with such a limited range of nib options.  You can buy a 74 with, say, a Waverly nib (I think it's a 743) and swap it into the 92.

The 743 comes with the Pilot 15 nib, not a Pilot 5 nib.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#7 Driften

Driften

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:21

I swapped a FM nib from my 91 with into 92 that came with a F nib. It's an easy swap. Also you can use nib's from a 74.

#8 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• 1,030 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:46

Yes. Use this strategy. The Pilot Custom 74 could be purchased for under $80.

I swapped a FM nib from my 91 with into 92 that came with a F nib. It's an easy swap. Also you can use nib's from a 74.

#9 JunkyardSam

JunkyardSam

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 22:22

Are you certain the nib is actually too fine?

The reason I ask is -- I have four Custom 91s (F,F,F,EF) and one Custom 92 (F.)

At least two of the Fs arrived writing as a Japanese EF and one arrived so dry it wouldn't write at all.  My point is -- it's a common issue that these pens write even finer than they should... because:

Often the tines are too tight and flow is restricted.

Once adjusted the width is good for normal use and the correct flow makes them much smoother writers as well. Forgive me if I'm saying things you already know -- but I have a large enough collection at this point to know this is a common issue that can be easily fixed... if this is, indeed, what prompted your post.

Edited by JunkyardSam, 10 April 2017 - 22:22.

#10 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:10

I bought a PCH 92 in F and what I think it looks like an EF which is true to word that the non-soft pilot nibs for these kind of pens (not elabo) will have true to Japanese standard size the soft nibs however seem to follow a western sizing

#11 jekostas

jekostas

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:04

A Custom 91 will have a matching rhodium-trimmed nib and costs the same as a Custom 74.  Get that instead if you want to swap nibs.

#12 Robert_Boyd

Robert_Boyd

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:37

Are you certain the nib is actually too fine?

The reason I ask is -- I have four Custom 91s (F,F,F,EF) and one Custom 92 (F.)

At least two of the Fs arrived writing as a Japanese EF and one arrived so dry it wouldn't write at all.  My point is -- it's a common issue that these pens write even finer than they should... because:

Often the tines are too tight and flow is restricted.

Once adjusted the width is good for normal use and the correct flow makes them much smoother writers as well. Forgive me if I'm saying things you already know -- but I have a large enough collection at this point to know this is a common issue that can be easily fixed... if this is, indeed, what prompted your post.

Cool, thank you, i ordered a 91 in medium to check it out. I love how my Pilot Metro writes.  I also have some Sailor pens and their F's are just to find for me.  I have to get my writing neater haha

#13 Driften

Driften

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 16:11

I expect the OP would like the FM nib! I like mine much better then the F.

#14 PenandDesign

PenandDesign

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:00

OP, do you live in Kazakhstan, or are you visiting Astana for the expo? I've met people living in the other Central Asian countries, but never Kazakhstan!
Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

#15 Robert_Boyd

Robert_Boyd

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:57

OP, do you live in Kazakhstan, or are you visiting Astana for the expo? I've met people living in the other Central Asian countries, but never Kazakhstan!

Almaty ) sadly i didn't make it to the expo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs, pilot

Sponsored Content

|