Aurora 88 Serial Number And Year Estimation

praxim

Well, my one and only 88 (fine/flex, recently restored) sports a serial in the 730,000 range. I'm going to lay a claim for mid-1949. Mahalo to all of the "number pro" folks who have calculated and submitted estimates and ranges. Aloha - P. S. I have a 98 that is a pleasure, too.

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• sansenri

• jnb

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello, diplomat checking in.

Nice work and thread @praxim, it was cool to find out that this “old lady” still sparks some interest in the forum.

First I am going to contribute this work with my stable:

• 88: 240.789, 986.905, 673.453 (with replaced 88k cap), 1.724.751
  • 88K: 1.906.118, 2.146.296
  • 88P: 3.157.689 (it’s a 888P), 3.252.657

I think we have a major problem here since even the more knowledgeable people over the brand in Italy have no information of the basic data: starting number, final number, yearly production, assembly and production process. Also the current Aurora owners and managers I am afraid have no clue, and they never answered these questions. Therefore it is not possible to date a pen starting from his serial number.

However, since we have serial number in the first stance and since it is widely accepted that they are sequential, we can have project like this one that is both fun and informative.

Having said that, let me try to answer, or better contribute, to some of the questions raised in your post.

1. Year of first production. Tough to say, if you want hard data. Most of the Italian websites mention 1946, then you have Abrate which is authoritative that states November 1948 as date for launch, although he mention 1946 as when Nizzoli design it. The only “hard data” I have is a commercial (see attached pic) that states: “unsurpassed from 5 years”. Considering the K was out in 1953 I think this push for an earlier date than 1948: why affirming this if they are about to rejuvenate the model? I stay with your 1947.
    post-6228-0-49691500-1552648228_thumb.jpg
  2. Overlapping: due to different process between pen assembly and serial number stamp, we can assume that from time to time batches of “old” pens were sent in the market well after the new model was launched. We do have evidence of this in serial number analysis (see my 1.906k 88K), but the point here is that is not production overlapping but market overlapping. We can think to the Archivi Storici as an extreme example of this. Also in this case please see the commercial (better, independent catalogue from Tentardini & C. Milano, ref: http://www.fountainpen.it/File:195x-Tentardini-Catalogo-p05.jpg ) stating 88 and 88K being sold at the same time (likely 1953ish).post-6228-0-20274800-1552648238_thumb.jpg
  3. 88P production numbers: one reason to explain the “hidden numbers” (the 500K after 3.3 million mark) could be un-serialized specimens. If, contrary to what I assumed 10 years ago, un-serialized specimen are not as rare but are linked to the whole last year(s) of production, this could explain how the 3.8 million was mentioned. It could make sense because we know that the 98 (1963) have no serial number. That could have started a few years before. Overall 88P numbers are boosted also because in this production the cart version is fully counted from the start (888 and 888P have serial numbers in same sequence with the piston fill versions, as stated in the Dynasty post). I don’t think ball points count, that would assume a separate accounting for those pens that we know were not numbered on the pen body.
  4. 88K production numbers: what happened here? What is that big hole in numbering that happens stepping from 88K to 88P: some 400K pens are missing… I agree with you on the working assumption that Aurora decided to restart from 0 with 88P, starting them at 3 millions even though they were quite far from that number. Maybe the overlap numbers between 88 and 88K created some warehouse mess…
  5. Yearly production: I would assume a “production curve” more shaped as a U for the following reasons:
    1. Popularity of fountain pens (over ballpoints and other writing instruments) were overall declining year by year. Different sources stated that the launch of the pen was a huge instant success, in Italy and abroad.
    2. Slowly the fad ended and the cartridge/ballpoint was becoming the standard of the market, leaving piston fillers for the high end
    3. Introduction of cartridge version of K (from 56 only thus they are more rare than Ps) and P brought the numbers up again relatively speaking with the model lifespan

Then again, who knows? Just fun to discuss and I believe that gathering more numbers will be beneficial. So happy to revamp this and asking for more contributions.

Have a nice day you all on the pen fandom J

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people, it will yet be a few days before I am able to take in and respond to your information, so please excuse the delay.

X

• 1 month later...

Wonderful work...nothing like crowdsourcing data! With apologies for not ante-ing far earlier, here are my two plus two I'm restoring:

88 767195

88 1269376

88 811491

88P 3274674

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

88 sterling cap and rubber knob: 1 162 672 (almost sure no cap swap)

88 sterling cap and non-rubber (plastic?) knob: 1 639 741 (cap is a bit larger and so the imprints on it)

• 1 year later...

My Aurora 88 k "Aquila" ist marked with the number 2203555 EF.

Aquila is the version with the golden cover. There would be only 3.000 pieces of it.

Hansjürgen

That is the lowest number of the four Aquilas I have on record. The other three are in the 2 500 000 range. In fact, the span between your number and 2.5M is empty of any pens so far, the largest data gap outside the 88P range.

X

• 3 weeks later...

I have three Aurora 88 pens:

• Aurora 88 with a gold plated cap marked 18kr - 63179
  • Aurora 88 with a nikargenta cap - 27377
  • Aurora 88 with a gold plated cap (no markings) - 17459

The last one is a little different from the others. The piston knob has a very small hole when compared with the screw cover of the other two. Are you aware of any design "adjustments" or could this be the result of a repair with parts of another pen? I don't have the pens with me right now, but I can post a photo later.

Edited by jnb

I have not seen mention of such a difference before. A small design change is plausible early in the run although I am not sure what such a change might be intended to fix. I'll wait for photos to see whether that helps.

X

Here are the three pens side by side:

IMG_20200915_143605.jpg

And here are the two with the lower serial numbers:

IMG_20200915_143748.jpg

As you can see, the hole in the one on the left is about the same size as the inside of the circle on the screw cap.

If you need more pictures, please ask. The quality is not the best but is all I can do with my phone.

Edit:

I have found a post from 2012 in pennamania.it which discusses some differences of some early pens: https://www.pennamania.it/forum/index.php?topic=3948.0

The small hole is one of those differences.

Edited by jnb

I suspect that the later variation was simply a running improvement to make the end neater and to keep dirt out while giving them a place to put a nib size indicator.

Incidentally, I have "seen" your two higher-numbered pens before, in that I already had their numbers recorded although I have no note from where that was.

X

That small hole makes the access to the piston knob screw more difficult and, as you said, doesn't leave much space for the nib size indicator.

I believe you have collected the serial numbers from a previous post about the pens.

• 4 months later...

An eBay 88 arrived today. Serial 115021. I'm assuming 1947/8 by your workings. What drew me to it more than anything was the lovely green leather Aurora case. Any info on that? Also has 18Kr on cap edge and I would swear that the bottom piston ring was gold plated also?  My eyes are no longer what they used to be 😊

IMG_20210126_144539.jpg

IMG_20210126_144949.jpg

IMG_20210126_144822.jpg

IMG_20210126_144448.jpg

IMG_20210126_144440.jpg

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

Nice set and wonderful box that is approx 15 older than pens, Duplex De-Luxe gift box, not so common even in Italy.

Do you have vintage AURORA or WILLIAMSON,

italian WWII militaria for sale or trade? Please contact me.

Looking for 1950'S AURORA 88?

Other vintage italian pens?

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a624/z900it/zona900eb_zpsc3413dc2.jpgHere's the Answer! www.zona900.com

1 minute ago, sanpei said:

Nice set and wonderful box that is approx 15 older than pens, Duplex De-Luxe gift box, not so common even in Italy.

Thanks for that - Interesting info about the box. It looks just about right for the pens but maybe explains why I can't see it associated with the 88. Pens came with the original paperwork but unfortunately not dated or signed. Neither of them show much use at all. I take it that the gold coloured piston ring is known in some early models? This one is not silver I'm sure. 

Thanks

Stephen 

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

Just found this thread. I have two pens that fall into the range.

88 with steel-colored cap, with vertical lines inscribed evenly all the way around but no other engraving on the cap. No external information as to year. #1712070.

88P with gold-colored cap and slanted top with black inlay, with very fine vertical lines inscribed in groups, and a semi-split clip with apparently black enamel inlaid inside, and no other engraving on the cap. No external information as to year. #3137963. 

I hope this helps a little. I can provide photos if they are of any interest or use.