The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Music Nib 499

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vespagirl

Vespagirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 22:59

I have an Esterbrook music nib 499, but it does not fit my Esterbrook SJ or my dip pens. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what pen it will fit?

Thank you!

Sponsored Content

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:05

The 499 appears to have a slightly larger diameter (or else it's thicker?) than regular points.  Hard to tell with these eyes. The 1938 catalog shows holders that appear to be larger where the point inserts, and holders that have a "quick release" mechanism that looks big enough to hold a larger or thicker point.  Oddly enough, the Company seems to have made different holders for different applications other than just plain writing ...

So mebbe you need to find a "specialized" holder for that point.

HTH

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 Vespagirl

Vespagirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:26

The 499 appears to have a slightly larger diameter (or else it's thicker?) than regular points.  Hard to tell with these eyes. The 1938 catalog shows holders that appear to be larger where the point inserts, and holders that have a "quick release" mechanism that looks big enough to hold a larger or thicker point.  Oddly enough, the Company seems to have made different holders for different applications other than just plain writing ...

So mebbe you need to find a "specialized" holder for that point.

HTH

Sadily, I found the same thing in my research. Apparently, this music nib was used in a music pen (go figure). But since even the Esterbrook Project didn't have a photo of the nib, I'm not holding out hope for finding the exact pen.

Good eyes!

#4 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 22:38

Do you have idea of the diameter of the pen's tail?  That might help.  Scroll about halfway down this page to DIP916 -- does it look like it might fit?  You could try asking them the size of the "Tuscan Golden Pen".

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#5 Vespagirl

Vespagirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 22:55

Do you have idea of the diameter of the pen's tail?  That might help.  Scroll about halfway down this page to DIP916 -- does it look like it might fit?  You could try asking them the size of the "Tuscan Golden Pen".

It's possible, but it is hard to tell since there are no measurements provided.

I think I have a possible fix: there is a guy in South Texas who is going to try to custom fit the nib to a oblique nib holder.

#6 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:16

im not sure why you say you have a problem in your dip pens with it, i have some 499's and a ton of drawlet 17's which i like better (same nib), and with a 1/4" or 7mm hole for a dip pen flange, i dont seem to have any issue using them.  Definetely not for a J series pen, inkflow would never be enough in a fountain pen without railroading on these nibs.  its why the drawlet 17's have a top reservoir.  

#7 Vespagirl

Vespagirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:27

im not sure why you say you have a problem in your dip pens with it, i have some 499's and a ton of drawlet 17's which i like better (same nib), and with a 1/4" or 7mm hole for a dip pen flange, i dont seem to have any issue using them.  Definetely not for a J series pen, inkflow would never be enough in a fountain pen without railroading on these nibs.  its why the drawlet 17's have a top reservoir.  

My problem was that I needed the direction to start looking at getting a holder with a flange. The nib was not what I expected and I'm not experienced enough in dip pens to have thought of that right away. Got it now. 😊

#8 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2017 - 13:49

How long is the 499? That's one I've never even seen a picture of. (and I would be willing to trade some rare Esterbrook dip pens for a couple of 499's!) 

If it's too long, an oblique will not be a good fit for using it. 

If you have a dip pen that is too wide of an arc for regular holders, one technique for making your own holder is to go to the hardware store. Sort through the dowel rods until you find one of the right diameter to fit your pen. Then head over to the rubber/plastic hoses and tubing. Find one that just barely fits over the end of the dowel rod. Buy the rod and the smallest amount of tubing you can. (you only need a couple of inches). 

Once at home, cut the dowel rod to length for a holder, slip a couple of inches of tubing over the end of the down rod, then slip the pen between the dowel and the tubing. If the tube is tight enough, and you need it tight, it should hold the pen tightly enough for writing. 

Not fancy, not pretty, but will work. That's what some people have done to fit their Esterbrook 340 Mammoth Falcons as the holders are even rarer than the nibs. I'm fortunate enough to have two holders with no names on them that fit them. I'm sure they'd fit the music nibs as well if you want them to find a good home.  ;)

Check out my Steel Pen Blog. https://thesteelpen.com/ . 

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#9 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:14

these are drawlet 17's, same as 499's, just with reservoir.  they fit in regular penholder flange, no modification needed.

they write from an XF stroke to a 4mm thick stroke.  incredibly fine and flexible.  my favorite play around nib because of its line variation, great for drawing also.  they dont come up often.

attached pictures of a few boxes i have and a quick sample.  They are 499 are great nibs, i would pay probably $3 bucks each if a gross box ever came up for sale. 

Attached Images

• IMG_8544.jpg
  • IMG_8543.jpg

#10 Vespagirl

Vespagirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:16

Mike, thank you for the photos. I didn't have a straight holder wide enough for the nib, so I sent it to a holder maker who is going to set it properly in an oblique.

Andrew, I had already sent it at the time of your post, but I'll be sure to contact you if I decide not to keep it.

#11 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 16:06

i wouldnt recomment using a music nib in an oblique flange, or at least be very careful with it, center tine is sharp on upstrokes.   I make penholders also if you ever need anything / have questions.  Enjoy, they are wonderful nibs, gonna be a ton of fun..  

#12 Vespagirl

Vespagirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 17:30

i wouldnt recomment using a music nib in an oblique flange, or at least be very careful with it, center tine is sharp on upstrokes.   I make penholders also if you ever need anything / have questions.  Enjoy, they are wonderful nibs, gonna be a ton of fun..  

Mike,

Thank you for the offer; I'm sorry I didn't hear from you sooner.

#13 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 23:43

no worries was just an afterthought haha.  Enjoy the nibs, make sure to keep a light touch or they gonna get sprung easily

#14 Vespagirl

Vespagirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 00:42

Enjoy the nibs, make sure to keep a light touch or they gonna get sprung easily

Now your just scaring me 😉 Thanks for the tip

#15 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:07

Enjoy the nibs, make sure to keep a light touch or they gonna get sprung easily

Now your just scaring me Thanks for the tip

The center tine can be a little tricky, these are NOT fountain pens at all, they are not forgiving in the least, one poor arm stroke and nib will be garbage and unsalvagable.  i can give you some quick video links if you need some technique, its all about the angles with a penholder and how you hold the nib in relation to paper and move your arm to write.  
These are not beginner nibs whatsoever.  You need to setup oblique flange properly too with correct and specific angles to properly write and ensure you dont damage nib.  

Hope not scaring you haha.  Easiest advice i can give you, write smooth and fluidly, and treat the nib like a brush rather than a pen, LIGHT touch.

#16 Vespagirl

Vespagirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:48

The center tine can be a little tricky, these are NOT fountain pens at all, they are not forgiving in the least, one poor arm stroke and nib will be garbage and unsalvagable.  i can give you some quick video links if you need some technique, its all about the angles with a penholder and how you hold the nib in relation to paper and move your arm to write.  
These are not beginner nibs whatsoever.  You need to setup oblique flange properly too with correct and specific angles to properly write and ensure you dont damage nib.  

Hope not scaring you haha.  Easiest advice i can give you, write smooth and fluidly, and treat the nib like a brush rather than a pen, LIGHT touch.

Good to know. Send the video links and I'll check those out. Thank you!

Sponsored Content

|