The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Does Anyone *not* Like Lamy Dark Lilac Ink?

lamy dark lilac not like dislike

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Connly33

Connly33

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 19:15

I recently got to try a small sample of it. I do have a soft spot for any purple ink, though it certainly wasn't my favorite, i have much preferred purple inks like Sailor Storia Magic purple, Noodlers bay-state concord grape. And Noodlers La Reine Muave. 

Still haven't purchased a bottle of any of those three inks yet because i cant decide on which of the three i like more. 

Sponsored Content

#22 webgeckos

webgeckos

The Goodest Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 14:51

I accidentally bought 9 bottles... 3 different vendors that I had per-ordered then promptly forgot I had already per-ordered.  I traded two bottles, gave 2-3 to my sister, one to a guy at work I trade inks with, and 3 left for me.

#23 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 19:02

Hi all,

I don't like it... primarily because I never got any. :crybaby:

I missed out on the first wave and Lamy never delivered on the promised second wave. :angry:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold, 21 April 2017 - 19:08.

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#24 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 19:47

I don't like that I can't get it!

#25 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 18:53

As I'm sure someone has already noted, LAMY 'Dark Lilac' was a limited edition ink--there wasn't meant to be a second batch.

I had a bottle of the ink, tried it with a dip nib and while it was a nice hue with lots of sheen, I didn't care for the color overall. Not wanting to keep inks that did not appeal to me (even to complete a set) I gave it away to a fellow FPN member. 

Personally, I don't believe you missed out on anything special. There are other purple inks out there that are more readily available than LAMY 'Dark Lilac' which are not being sold at inflated prices.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#26 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 19:05

As I'm sure someone has already noted, LAMY 'Dark Lilac' was a limited edition ink--there wasn't meant to be a second batch.

I had a bottle of the ink, tried it with a dip nib and while it was a nice hue with lots of sheen, I didn't care for the color overall. Not wanting to keep inks that did not appeal to me (even to complete a set) I gave it away to a fellow FPN member. 

Personally, I don't believe you missed out on anything special. There are other purple inks out there that are more readily available than LAMY 'Dark Lilac' which are not being sold at inflated prices.

I have some & like it a lot. But a pen pal missed out so I had a go at making a replica for her. Turned out it was quite simple to do, using Iroshizuku Yama-budo + Shin-Kai. It is so similar I can barely detect any difference. It even has the same gold sheen.

28EBE734-B03E-4FA9-AA78-1EA1EB581B8F.jpeg

Edited by migo984, 13 April 2018 - 19:05.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#27 Snowie

Snowie

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 19:12

I'm on the fence about it, I didn't buy a bottle but I did buy a couple packs of cartridges. I tend to prefer the darker purples and this one was a little too bright for me, but I love purple and as such, I can't totally dislike it. ;)

#28 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 19:17

All it's detractors were rounded up & forced to use Lamy Blue from an extra fine nib - their writings haven't been seen since....

#29 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 19:22

I have some & like it a lot. But a pen pal missed out so I had a go at making a replica for her. Turned out it was quite simple to do, using Iroshizuku Yama-budo + Shin-Kai. It is so similar I can barely detect any difference. It even has the same gold sheen.

attachicon.gif 28EBE734-B03E-4FA9-AA78-1EA1EB581B8F.jpeg

A beautiful solution to those that missed out!

Was the writing experience similar or was one superior than the other? However, I imagine this comes down to personal preference. 

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#30 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 19:29

attachicon.gif 28EBE734-B03E-4FA9-AA78-1EA1EB581B8F.jpeg

Must try this!

#31 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,126 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 20:10

meh

I used up a sample a while back

not interested in more

I like purples, but I like other options more (better hues, more widely available, lower price). Trifecta! 

#32 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 21:05

Must try this!

Me 3! Just ordered some Yama Budo to complete the recipe.

#33 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 21:22

A beautiful solution to those that missed out!

Was the writing experience similar or was one superior than the other? However, I imagine this comes down to personal preference.

They’re very similar to write with. The Lamy is maybe a tad more lubricated, but my partner actually prefers the faux DL mix.

I’ve also adjusted the ratio (2:1, 4:1 etc) & I really like all the variants of this mix. It’s very stable too.

#34 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 23:25

Migo, did you add that mix to the Doppelganger thread?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#35 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 15:50

All it's detractors were rounded up & forced to use Lamy Blue from an extra fine nib - their writings haven't been seen since....

:lticaptd:

I'll admit that the cartridge of Lamy Blue which came with the LX was a nicer, and more saturated, color, than that of the cartridge which came with my Dark Lilac Safari.  To the point where when I added distilled water to the new cartridge, the resulting color looks more like that of the old one....  :huh: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#36 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 16:02

Migo, did you add that mix to the Doppelganger thread?

No I haven’t. I thought that thread was for commercially available “twins”.

#37 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 00:35

Hmm.. I think you could add it there especially since this isn't a commercially available ink anymore.  You should definitely put that recipe in the mixes forum.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, dark lilac, not like, dislike

Sponsored Content

|