The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Please Help Me To Make My Own Blue Black Ink.

blue black parker quink inks ink mix self made ink color home made ink

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:53

All needles and syringes fit each other. I have 1 ml, 3 ml, 5 ml, 10 ml and 30 ml syringes. The needles fit all of them. I use the appropriate syringe depending on how much ink I want to move or mix.

Awesome to know!! Would it be best if I use the 1 ml syringe during experimenting? When later satisfied with the color of the ink I think of filling the cartridge up using a syringe. I think a cartridge holds 1.1 ml, more than a converter. Am I right? Are insulin syringes the only 1 ml syringes available? It comes with a tiny needle. Can that needle be removed and replaced by a dispensing one? Thank you!

Pete :")

Edited by alwayspete, 02 April 2017 - 08:47.

Sponsored Content

#22 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 17:56

Thanks Ted A for the ratio tips & suggesting a ratio that I can experiment! Did you mean 1 drop of black to 5 drops of blue?

Just parts. Drops, milliliters, gallons. There shouldn't be differences from the volumes. The ratios would be the same so the color should be the same.

Though when you are dealing with small volumes it is easier to get slight variations than if you are using large volumes.

Use the volume size that you're comfortable with.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#23 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 19:17

Just parts. Drops, milliliters, gallons. There shouldn't be differences from the volumes. The ratios would be the same so the color should be the same.

Though when you are dealing with small volumes it is easier to get slight variations than if you are using large volumes.

Use the volume size that you're comfortable with.

I thought variations would be found when mixing large volumes of ink. Thanks!

Edited by alwayspete, 03 April 2017 - 19:18.

#24 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 18:03

Quink_Test_2-640p.jpg

Don't dare to add more black! Pen used was a very wet Standard lever-filler.

#25 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 18:04

Doesn't take many drops of black to do the trick.... beware...

Pelikan 8001 black never let me down with dozens of inks and different brands...

#26 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 19:25

Quink_Test_2-640p.jpg

Don't dare to add more black! Pen used was a very wet Standard lever-filler.

Thanks for making some time, mixing the inks & coming back and posting your results! That looks amazing!! That's 13 drops of P.Q. black in total to a half full bottle of P.Q. blue if I'm right!!! What did you use to transfer drops of black ink to the blue bottle? How does a true/good blue black really look like? I tried google but it came up with very different results (images). I like how you write your Qs! But this mix is far better than plain blue or black or teal!! Thanks again a bunch for the update! Cheers & thumbs up!!!

Edited by alwayspete, 25 April 2017 - 19:28.

#27 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 19:27

Doesn't take many drops of black to do the trick.... beware...

Pelikan 8001 black never let me down with dozens of inks and different brands...

Thank you torstar! I will!!! Hmmm... Pelikan is an expensive brand for me. But I know for certain they make beautiful pens!!!

#28 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 19:51

Thanks for making some time, mixing the inks & coming back and posting your results! That looks amazing!! That's 13 drops of P.Q. black in total to a half full bottle of P.Q. blue if I'm right!!! What did you use to transfer drops of black ink to the blue bottle? How does a true/good blue black really look like? I tried google but it came up with very different results (images). I like how you write your Qs! But this mix is far better than plain blue or black or teal!! Thanks again a bunch for the update! Cheers & thumbs up!!!

You're welcome! :)

It was half a VIAL of the blue...you know, like you get when you buy sample vials. And it would probably work out to more like fifteen drops, as the first three were added with a needle-fine pipette, and the rest with a regular glass eyedropper. I'm terrible, I know.

If you want to run a similar experiment, test your mixture after adding about five drops, and every three thereafter until it looks good to you. Every pen/ink/paper combo will react a little differently. Good luck!

#29 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:34

Pete, I'm sorry for getting back so late. I use a dropper/syringe for every ink receptacle because I mix on the fly (just noting the ratios on a notepad. If I only had one, I think it would take longer since you need to dry the dropper first before filling again—but that is speaking generally. If you're just adding Quink Perm. Black to a bottle of Blue I'm sure you can make do with just one filler. Have you started mixing?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#30 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,312 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 14:37

I use a small vial and syringes and mixing, as others have noted.

When I'm out I go to the pharmacist and tell them my fountain pen hobby and they give me the real deal, spike and all.  Or the nurse or massage therapists give me a handful of real syringes.

#31 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 16:02

You're welcome! :)

It was half a VIAL of the blue...you know, like you get when you buy sample vials. And it would probably work out to more like fifteen drops, as the first three were added with a needle-fine pipette, and the rest with a regular glass eyedropper. I'm terrible, I know.

If you want to run a similar experiment, test your mixture after adding about five drops, and every three thereafter until it looks good to you. Every pen/ink/paper combo will react a little differently. Good luck!

That's okay! Yes I do intend to mix inks. Thanks for the tips!!! Cheers!

#32 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 16:07

Pete, I'm sorry for getting back so late. I use a dropper/syringe for every ink receptacle because I mix on the fly (just noting the ratios on a notepad. If I only had one, I think it would take longer since you need to dry the dropper first before filling again—but that is speaking generally. If you're just adding Quink Perm. Black to a bottle of Blue I'm sure you can make do with just one filler. Have you started mixing?

No problem. You got back!! That's all that matters! Do you mean a syringe with a dispensing needle? Problem solved by using two droppers. Yes I intend on mixing PQ Black wth PQ Blue. No I haven't, but as soon as the dispensing needles reach me. Thanks!

#33 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 16:12

I use a small vial and syringes and mixing, as others have noted.

When I'm out I go to the pharmacist and tell them my fountain pen hobby and they give me the real deal, spike and all.  Or the nurse or massage therapists give me a handful of real syringes.

I wish the pharmacists, nurses or massage therapists here did the same! Most of them I met don't have a clue when I ask for luer lock dispensing needles. I already bought the syringes that have the sharp ends by default. Now I'm waiting for the safe needles to reach me. Lucky you!

#34 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 17:18

I wish the pharmacists, nurses or massage therapists here did the same! Most of them I met don't have a clue when I ask for luer lock dispensing needles. I already bought the syringes that have the sharp ends by default. Now I'm waiting for the safe needles to reach me. Lucky you!

You might also look under craft, or industrial, syringes. I remember buying those a while back. I do tend to use plastic pipettes and glass eyedroppers for ink mixing, though.

#35 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,312 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 17:21

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  The first time I wasn't expecting that response from the pharmacist...

So just ask if you want them, you might have friends with access to supplies that can sneak a few out for you....

#36 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 19:46

Hi,

Kindly see the Topic Tips for a Beginng Mixerhttp://www.fountainp...ixer/?p=2821339

In the beginning there was ink, then the mixers showed-up...

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1, 26 April 2017 - 19:48.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#37 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:16

You might also look under craft, or industrial, syringes. I remember buying those a while back. I do tend to use plastic pipettes and glass eyedroppers for ink mixing, though.

Yes I'll try that. I too did think of getting eyedroppers if the dispensing needles are going to take so much time! Aren't plastic pipettes like huge in size for testing purposes? Thanks!

#38 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:20

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  The first time I wasn't expecting that response from the pharmacist...

So just ask if you want them, you might have friends with access to supplies that can sneak a few out for you....

True! I have tried. They seem completely blank and say that not even their suppliers have it!! No friends locally that can help me that way! :") It doesn't matter because they don't have it with them in the first place.

#39 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:21

Hi,

Kindly see the Topic Tips for a Beginng Mixerhttp://www.fountainp...ixer/?p=2821339

In the beginning there was ink, then the mixers showed-up...

Bye,

S1

Thanks Sandy! I'll check it out!

#40 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2017 - 13:55

Yes I'll try that. I too did think of getting eyedroppers if the dispensing needles are going to take so much time! Aren't plastic pipettes like huge in size for testing purposes? Thanks!

Yes, for the amount of liquid they can transport, but not always. Some of the nozzles are almost as fine as needles. I have a set from years back that is teeny.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue black, parker quink inks, ink mix, self made ink color, home made ink

Sponsored Content

|