The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Please Help Me To Make My Own Blue Black Ink.

blue black parker quink inks ink mix self made ink color home made ink

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:46

Hi guys!!

I require your guidance and expertise to try and make my own Blue Blacks. What I have at hand are the 40ml bottles of Parker Quink Black and Quink Blue. I was wondering if I could mix and make my own blue blacks using these two. I use a Lamy Safari F and 1.1 nib for my daily writing. I use ordinary notebooks nothing fancy.

Could you please give me a ratio that would give me the right color for the ink or your favorite blue black color? I want it to look dark but not too dark that it really looks black. I hope you got me.

How do I mix the inks the right way?

Anything else that I need to look out for when mixing these shades please let me know.

Thank you all!

Pete :")

Edited by alwayspete, 31 March 2017 - 11:21.

Sponsored Content

#2 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:48

Find a clean container (sample vial) and mix there, using a separate syringe for each bottle (tidiness and to keep track of your working ratio). I mix using a third syringe to swirl the ink and to aerate the mix (pull the syringe full of ink and then eject slowly while dipped in ink to form bubbles).

I do not use either Quink Black or Quink Blue in my mixes so I cannot suggest a recipe. I find that you will need to use much more blue than black, and I suggest getting a violet ink to put some dimension into the mix (this is my "trick").

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#3 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 13:08

I would start with some Quink Blue in a small vial, then add one drop of Quink Black at a time and test it until you're happy with the colour. It's important to not add much black. It is easier to just buy Quink Blue-Black though. No?  :)

#4 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 15:19

If you already have the blue and the black and don't much like either, mixing might work.

Or, if you want to have another alternative and figure it will be a long time before you run out either.

I don't have either of those inks so can't give you a ratio, but I usually start with 5 blue to 1 black and adjust from there. In most cases that ratio won't turn out fully black. If you were to do a 1:1 you would expect it will turn out black.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#5 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 15:31

I would start with some Quink Blue in a small vial, then add one drop of Quink Black at a time and test it until you're happy with the colour. It's important to not add much black. It is easier to just buy Quink Blue-Black though. No?  :)

Because Quink BB is really a deep teal (which is why I like it!). Not really a true BB. I might try some mixing myself.

#6 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 16:01

Because Quink BB is really a deep teal (which is why I like it!). Not really a true BB. I might try some mixing myself.

Ahh. I've never used Quink so I didn't know that.  :D

#7 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 16:48

Ahh. I've never used Quink so I didn't know that.  :D

I just put 3 drops of Q-Black into a half-full vial of Q-Royal Blue Washable. After giving it some time to settle I'll test it.

To the OP: that's what I think has to be done. Mix some, test, mix again, write down what you do each step, and repeat until you have the color you want.

#8 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 22:27

When mixing a Blue-Black from a Blue and a Black, my general rule of thumb is to start with one drop of black and 10 drops of blue.

You can then add more black or blue to adjust to get the degree of colour you want.

And yes, I mean drops. If you have a disaster, then it is only a small disaster and you can throw it out. I use tiny 1 ml tuberculin (also known as insulin) syringes and blunt decanting needles (which you can get on eBay). But check that it is legal for you to buy them in your place. 

And keep records. Do a writing sample at each stage mentioning the current ratio of inks.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#9 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:41

Find a clean container (sample vial) and mix there, using a separate syringe for each bottle (tidiness and to keep track of your working ratio). I mix using a third syringe to swirl the ink and to aerate the mix (pull the syringe full of ink and then eject slowly while dipped in ink to form bubbles).

I do not use either Quink Black or Quink Blue in my mixes so I cannot suggest a recipe. I find that you will need to use much more blue than black, and I suggest getting a violet ink to put some dimension into the mix (this is my "trick").

Thanks antichresis for your input! Why do you really need 3 syringes!!! Can't you just wash the syringe and reuse it? Thanks again!

#10 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:43

Thanks Chrissy for adding in! It's what Sailor Kenshin says (Quink Blue-Black).

#11 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:45

I don't have either of those inks so can't give you a ratio, but I usually start with 5 blue to 1 black and adjust from there. In most cases that ratio won't turn out fully black. If you were to do a 1:1 you would expect it will turn out black.

Thanks Ted A for the ratio tips & suggesting a ratio that I can experiment! Did you mean 1 drop of black to 5 drops of blue?

Edited by alwayspete, 01 April 2017 - 09:51.

#12 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:48

I just put 3 drops of Q-Black into a half-full vial of Q-Royal Blue Washable. After giving it some time to settle I'll test it.

Thanks Sailor K for joining in! Please post your results here when you do a writing sample of the ink. Curious to know what you've created!! Cheers for doing the experiment!

#13 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:58

When mixing a Blue-Black from a Blue and a Black, my general rule of thumb is to start with one drop of black and 10 drops of blue.

You can then add more black or blue to adjust to get the degree of colour you want.

And yes, I mean drops. If you have a disaster, then it is only a small disaster and you can throw it out. I use tiny 1 ml tuberculin (also known as insulin) syringes and blunt decanting needles (which you can get on eBay). But check that it is legal for you to buy them in your place. 

And keep records. Do a writing sample at each stage mentioning the current ratio of inks.

Thanks dcwaites for the bunch of tips, dos and don'ts! I'm new to decanting needles. What's the difference in comparison to a normal 5 ml syringe needle? Thanks ahead!

Edited by alwayspete, 01 April 2017 - 10:00.

#14 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:35

Normal needles have sharp, pointy ends. Decanting dispensing needles are flat at the end. 

eg 

http://www.ebay.com....icAAOSw4shX4mpz

or

http://www.ebay.com....RoAAOSwiwVWRaI9

Edited by dcwaites, 01 April 2017 - 11:39.

Granny Aching

#15 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:13

Where's Tas, our blue-black mixer?

#16 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 13:12

Normal needles have sharp, pointy ends. Decanting dispensing needles are flat at the end. 

Thank you for your reply! Are there dispensing needles available for 5 or 10 ml syringes or they used only on tuberculin syringes? Thanks ahead!

Edited by alwayspete, 01 April 2017 - 13:14.

#17 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 13:14

Where's Tas, our blue-black mixer?

He might be around! Wish to see him soon here if he's a real good mixer!! Thanks for your input!

#18 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 20:23

This was about a half-vial of blue, with three drops of black. Hmmm...needs work....

Q_Blue_and_Q_Blk-640p.jpg

#19 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 22:18

Thank you for your reply! Are there dispensing needles available for 5 or 10 ml syringes or they used only on tuberculin syringes? Thanks ahead!

All needles and syringes fit each other. I have 1 ml, 3 ml, 5 ml, 10 ml and 30 ml syringes. The needles fit all of them. I use the appropriate syringe depending on how much ink I want to move or mix.

Granny Aching

#20 alwayspete

alwayspete

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:51

This was about a half-vial of blue, with three drops of black. Hmmm...needs work....

Thanks for posting the sample. Yes needs more black I think. Keep at it and let me know how it turns out, okay? Well done!

Edited by alwayspete, 02 April 2017 - 08:39.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue black, parker quink inks, ink mix, self made ink color, home made ink

Sponsored Content

|