Which Iroshizuku?

Calais

I have a paypal promo code for orders over 20€ so I was thinking about getting 2 iroshizuku mini bottle ink (the 15ml ones).

At the moment i have a brilliant black bottle ink, royal blue, brilliant red (I don't like it, i added some black in the cartridge and now it looks better) and lamy green.

I always write in black ink because for me it's "relaxing" when I need to study. 

I use the other colors for titles, keywords and underlining

I would like to have some unique colors and I was thinking about getting:

• Orange: yu-yake or fuyu-gaki but the second one seems too red
    • Blue: now i don't really know, I want to avoid anything similar to pelikan's royal blue so: kon-peki or ama-iro
    What would you suggest me? Should I consider something else?

• Replies 12
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calais

• senzen

• dylim1

• ManofKent

I love Yu-Yake - use it as a 'red' type ink for highlighting mistakes in documentation (including my own), but also for general writing.

For your blue, I recommend Tsuyu-kusa. If you don't like Fuyu-gaki (I love it), Yu-yake should do just fine. And when the time comes to replace your black ink, be sure to try Take-sumi.

:W2FPN:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have lots of Iroshizuku inks, so I have lots of suggestions.

Orange: I have both Fuyu-gaki and Yu-yake. Fuyu-gaki is a very bright orange (It doesn't look red to me), and Yu-yake is a more muted, yellower orange. Of the two, I prefer Fuyu-gaki, but I love very bright inks.

Blue: I have Kon-peki and Ku-jaku. Kon-peki is brighter, less turquoise, and in my opinion, a much more beautiful shade of blue.

Light Purple: I have Ajisai, which is a gorgeous periwinkle, and Murasaki-shikubu, which is a bland (in my opinion) light purple. I'd recommend Ajisai, obviously.

Magenta: Yama-budo is a deep but not dark magenta. This is another favorite of mine, but I'm trying to convince myself that R &K Solferino and Magenta, both of which I also have and are significantly less expensive, can replace it when my bottle of Yama-budo runs out.

Pink: Tsutsuji is one of my favorite inks from any brand -- it is a bright, fun, magenta-leaning pink. It might be too bright for your taste, though.

Gray: Fuyu-syogun is a very interesting ink, very slightly blue-tinged to my eyes. Since you like black, you might enjoy it too.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

I have lots of Iroshizuku inks, so I have lots of suggestions.

Orange: I have both Fuyu-gaki and Yu-yake. Fuyu-gaki is a very bright orange (It doesn't look red to me), and Yu-yake is a more muted, yellower orange. Of the two, I prefer Fuyu-gaki, but I love very bright inks.

Blue: I have Kon-peki and Ku-jaku. Kon-peki is brighter, less turquoise, and in my opinion, a much more beautiful shade of blue.

Light Purple: I have Ajisai, which is a gorgeous periwinkle, and Murasaki-shikubu, which is a bland (in my opinion) light purple. I'd recommend Ajisai, obviously.

Magenta: Yama-budo is a deep but not dark magenta. This is another favorite of mine, but I'm trying to convince myself that R &K Solferino and Magenta, both of which I also have and are significantly less expensive, can replace it when my bottle of Yama-budo runs out.

Pink: Tsutsuji is one of my favorite inks from any brand -- it is a bright, fun, magenta-leaning pink. It might be too bright for your taste, though.

Gray: Fuyu-syogun is a very interesting ink, very slightly blue-tinged to my eyes. Since you like black, you might enjoy it too.

Thanks for translating the colors. I don't remember the names in Japanese of the two colors I have.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
    --Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

I decided that I'll probably go for fuyu-gaki, still not sure about the blue one, but I'm more oriented towards the kon-peki than tsuyu-kusa

Even though the magenta/pink colors are lovely I think that I won't buy them for the moment

Unfortunately I don't know if I'll be able to order 2 of them, I need to figure out a way to avoid paying custom duties

I've ordered fuyu-gaki and kon-peki, now I only have to wait (probably a lot)

Edited by Calais

I really love asa-gao. It's a lovely rich blue.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

I have a paypal promo code for orders over 20€ so I was thinking about getting 2 iroshizuku mini bottle ink (the 15ml ones).

At the moment i have a brilliant black bottle ink, royal blue, brilliant red (I don't like it, i added some black in the cartridge and now it looks better) and lamy green.

I always write in black ink because for me it's "relaxing" when I need to study.

I use the other colors for titles, keywords and underlining

I would like to have some unique colors and I was thinking about getting:

• Orange: yu-yake or fuyu-gaki but the second one seems too red
    • Blue: now i don't really know, I want to avoid anything similar to pelikan's royal blue so: kon-peki or ama-iro
    What would you suggest me? Should I consider something else?

I have fuyu gaki, it's great but clearly my wildest ink, just bordering on pink. Don't have Yu yake but it might be closer to Orange Indien, which I do have and love.

Tsuyu Kusa looks like a true blue to me, not too purple and not too green, I also love Kon Peki and Ama Iro, which look more wild; the first looks very different depending on the width of the nib, and as it dries it looks darker. I wasn't happy with Kon Peki in F nibs, looks nice with an EF Faber Castell.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Haven't tried Kon-peki yet. Unlike most folks around here, I didn't care for Asa-gao, because I found it to be sort of boring. And it was drippy. Still making up my mind about Ama-iro.

Fuyu-gaki was well behaved but I hated the color (have not tried Yu-yake, but I'm not much for orange to begin with.

Tsuyu-kusa is often overlooked, but it's a soft, pretty blue (I have yet to find a less expensive ink that's a similar color, so I may have to bite the bullet at some point).

But my absolute favorites are Yama-budo and Yama-guri, and would not want to ever be without either.

And I know that you're looking for "not black" but Take-sumi is just... different. It's not the blackest black but it has this bizarre quality of looking almost tactile on the page. If I used black inks more I'd already have had a couple of bottles stockpiled....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."