The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Little Miracle With My Noodler's Ahab!

noodler ahab railroading test

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iznogood

iznogood

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 18:33

I think I have just performed a miracle! Had cleaned out my Noodler's Ahab completely (so taking the feed/nib off cleaning everything. This pen, like my Creeper and a lot of other noodler's pens out there, was railroading BAD after a mere minute of fun. 

Had checked everything, every video, forums, tips and tricks and it was just a pain.

Well.. Not anymore! And in a grand spectacular way! This is the third page of clairefontaine triomphe Loaded with ink with ZERO railroad. That's right. ZERO. Sometimes going around the page making a fat line and it just never skipped. 

I did make a tiny adjustment to the nib before assembling maybe this was it.

But wow is it a fun pen now. 

GNEEEQB.jpg?2

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,262 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 19:16

When you do the 'Ahab Mod' to it it will be much easier to flex....having moved from 'hard' semi-flex to Superflex...Easy Full Flex.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 iznogood

iznogood

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 20:14

When you do the 'Ahab Mod' to it it will be much easier to flex....having moved from 'hard' semi-flex to Superflex...Easy Full Flex.

I bet it would but I do not think I'll ever touch anything on that pen if I am not forced to ever. It works flawlessly. Why would I mess with that? :-) 

Might buy another Ahab to play around. As is, given the internet's opinion of these pens, I'll keep my "works perfectly well" untouched :-D 

#4 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:52

Time then to change your avatar... :D

But, seriously. Congratulations. I guess when you took it apart and then reassembled it, you pushed the nib a little farther in, and it now sits in a spot where you have better flow, so that the railroading has stopped. I'm assuming you did not change inks?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#5 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:20

It looks great!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#6 iznogood

iznogood

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:23

Time then to change your avatar... :D

But, seriously. Congratulations. I guess when you took it apart and then reassembled it, you pushed the nib a little farther in, and it now sits in a spot where you have better flow, so that the railroading has stopped. I'm assuming you did not change inks?

I had not but I did after posting this. Wen't with Diamine Oxblood and the pen performs the same. PERFECT. I had payed with the nib and feed positions. Guess I just hit a sweet spot.

#7 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 15:43

Hmm.  I've heard a lot of people say similar things about their Ahab.  But I have not experienced the problem.  Pen's a bit big for me for a daily writer, but I have an ink in it that works well with flexibility.  Same with my Neponset.  Not daily writers, but they've been writers out of the box.  Not seen the problems ever that other people have had.  I may have just been lucky.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodler, ahab, railroading, test

Sponsored Content

|