Ebay Quandary: Thoughts Appreciated

redbike

Last November I won an auction for a pen from a seller in a Balkan country. I never received the pen and my money was refunded in early January. Earlier this week I got a notice from USPS that a "foreign" package was waiting for me to pick it up. It was the long forgotten pen - three months late!

The pen was not as described, having a medium vs a fine nib, and some cosmetic flaws not in the original description. I contacted the seller as I wish to return it. The seller replied that s/he cannot accept the return since it's four months since the original sale. I will add here that there may be a language barrier in my communication with the seller.

For me the bottom line is I have the pen and the seller has no money. My strong preference is to return the pen, at my cost, to the seller. Does eBay have some rule preventing this? Other thoughts?

Thanks,

jim

Edited by redbike

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redbike

• torstar

• welch

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like, given the language barrier, the seller didn't know or understand they refunded you the money? Some ebay sellers who do a large volume may not remember specifics of a sale several months ago.

How much was the pen?

If they won't let you, then you sorta win.

Yeah, but as someone who has sold stuff on ebay, I'm doing what I hope another seller would. Returning the pen feels like the right thing to do.

Sounds like, given the language barrier, the seller didn't know or understand they refunded you the money? Some ebay sellers who do a large volume may not remember specifics of a sale several months ago.

How much was the pen?

The pen was $60, plus shipping. The seller has less than 100 feedback ratings and about 20 items currently for sale, mostly fountain pens or related items. It is possible they don't remember refunding me the money. I have sent another message which makes that clear, I hope. Thanks for the response.

Assuming you have the seller's address: return the pen. Yes, that seems right. There is no Ebay rule against it.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Use PayPal to send the seller part of what was refunded.

That is an option, but my preference is to return an item I don't want and haven't paid for. If that isn't possible, I may do what you suggested. Thanks.

Assuming you have the seller's address: return the pen. Yes, that seems right. There is no Ebay rule against it.

I'll check the shipping container for the return address, and ask the seller to confirm. Thanks.

I would also return the pen if possible. Seems like the right thing to do under the circumstances.

Yeah, but as someone who has sold stuff on ebay, I'm doing what I hope another seller would. Returning the pen feels like the right thing to do.

Personally I would try to get $$$ to the seller for the value of the pen. It might not be possible.

You do not wish to keep the pen but wish to recompense the seller. Sell the pen by low-start auction on ebay then send (Paypal) to the seller the proceeds nett of all costs. Both aims are achieved, and as a bonus someone who wants the pen has it.

Edited by praxim

X

Send it back cheapest shipping. You'll be (slightly) out of pocket, but your conscience will rest well.

Too many pens; too little writing.

+1 I like this solution. it seems that everyone wins. In fact, the foreign seller ultimately wins the most because they get some money for something that was not described accurately and with you might not have been happy and returned it anyway (or at least negotiated a different price).

Please let us know what you choose to do and how it works out.

You do not wish to keep the pen but wish to recompense the seller. Sell the pen by low-start auction on ebay then send (Paypal) to the seller the proceeds nett of all costs. Both aims are achieved, and as a bonus someone who wants the pen has it.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Send it back cheapest shipping. You'll be (slightly) out of pocket, but your conscience will rest well.

That'd be my path. fwiw

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Why not ask Ebay ? Make sure you state that you have received a refund. Let Ebay explain to

the seller. It is possible that the long delay and refund, caused the seller to declare it lost and insurance was claimed and paid. Ask whether the seller will accept 50% payment.

When you have made an effort that satisfies your values, stop. Not all debts are payable.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks to you all for your thoughtful, helpful responses. I want to return the pen to the seller, and will check with Ebay on how to do that.

I'm kinda in agreement with Sasha on this -- contact eBay and explain what has happened (and that you've already been refunded). They may be able to negotiate for you.

Did you provide feedback at the time? See (even though it's way late) if you can change your feedback, especially if you gave negative feedback originally. Although, in the case of the one time I had to actually open a dispute I got a refund *and* was able to keep (i.e., not send back) the pens (which were meant to be a gift for someone else) -- although I was then prohibited from giving feedback.

I've occasionally gotten stuff on eBay from the UK, Germany, and the Netherlands; anyplace else overseas I've been a bit too afraid to do -- even if the sellers are reputable, I worry about the vagaries of shipping, not to mention customs declarations and duty charges.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The main reason that ebay and the seller won't automatically let you send back the pen is because that would make you out of pocket. If you don't want the pen because it is not as described, but you are happy to be out of pocket by the cost of returning it, then just return it.

This must be quite a common occurrence because ebay refund buyers for non-receipt fairly quickly, and goods might turn up really slowly. There doesn't seem to be a standard solution. :unsure: The seller may already have been refunded by the postal company or he might have decided to not bother making a claim against them.

Returning it might be as difficult as it was for them to ship it to you; and $60 might be worth more in their country to them than $60 in the US to you (purchasing disparities!). The suggestion to resell it is great, even if it implies even more effort from you. In this Age of Stupidity© it's great to see people at least trying to do the right thing.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell