Vintage Montblanc (12/14/22/32/monte Rosa/others?)

asegier

Dear All,

I would really love to get into Vintage Montblancs and have been watching quite a few on eBay as well as locally. Are there any that people would recommend? I've mainly been looking at the ones in the title, and I've also had some trouble distinguishing nib size names. I like Fine pens (not Japanese Fine), and have been looking for a Fine Vintage Pen, but I've been seeing like KF and I heard that the K stands for Kugel... But I am unsure what that means (I think it has something to do with the bounciness and flex?).

Also any tips when looking at these vintage pens? Like what to look for, hidden problems, piston filling mechanisms that tend to fail from certain models, or perhaps a rubber gasket or O-ring that always disintegrates, so I'll have to look at replacing it every now and then, etc?

And any tips for what I'll have to do when owning one? Just so I know how much trouble I'll need to go to to own it (replacing specific parts every now and then, or sourcing the parts, or perhaps specific parts that are impossible to find, and hence once the pen has a problem, it's impossible to fix)

Or any suggestions on any other MB Vintage pens would be welcome as well! :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asegier

• aksaiyo

• Maine Vintner

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've also recently gotten into vintage pens, though my focus is on a slightly earlier era than you, i can help with the kugel nib question. Kugel nibs are shaped like a ball (see here: http://www.hepworthdixon.com/product.php/271/7/montblanc_254_vintage_fountain_pen_in_black_resin_with_kugel_wing_nib_produced_c_1957_59)

It just is more forgiving regarding the angle you write in, so you can hold it whichever way and it should write. It doesn't really have anything to do with flex though. If you want a flex pen I have personally been successful finding more flexible pen from the 50-60s or earlier. I have a 142 OF and a friend of mine has a 142 KF, his pen feels slightly less flexible than mine. Perhaps the ball shape makes it more awkward to flex, or gives less precise edges to the line, making line variation less visible?

A board search also really helps! Check out this thread on kugel nibs: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/253475-what-is-a-k-nib-vintage/

HTH!

Edited by aksaiyo

Hmm I see. Yes I actually looked up most of the stuff, just forgot to look up Kugel nibs right when I was already typing it haha. Any recommendations on your era of pens of your expertise? :P

I have recently on started, so I am also a beginner. I've mostly focused on learning about 50s celluloid pens though. I have an earlier 50s 142OF and later 50s 146F, both have 14C nibs that are rather flexible. They're definitely not super flexible like a Mabie Todd etc, but I personally prefer the piston mechanism (so fun!) and ink capacity. A flat feed from the earlier half of the 50s tends to be wetter, and therefore, it is more forgiving of drier inks if you want to flex and not railroad. My 146 railroaded with Waterman's Intense black when I first filled it, but it works perfectly fine now with Diamine ink, I suspect to partly the feed, but also partly because the insides of the pen was perhaps not completely clean when I first got it? A friend's celluloid 144 with a round feed also railroaded a little upon flexing, so i'm not sure what's up. Of course, i suppose these pens may not be made to flex as much as I did in the photo, but i've checked my tines and they remain perfectly aligned.

As for buying, I bought both of those pens from the classifieds section here.

Hopefully this helps a little! I am still very much a beginner as well.

post-134100-0-46685500-1490865859_thumb.jpg

Edited by aksaiyo

I would suggest you take a look at the vintage MB's available at: penboard.de

Edited by carlos.q

The 12/14 etc are really easy to disassemble for cleaning which is good, and they are very well built so should last a few more decades at least.

Thanks for the replies. Is eBay a safe place to bid on Vintage Piston Fillers? There seems to be a few sellers that seem to sell quite a few and are quite "reputable" (have lots of eBay stars and sell a lot, and give guarentees on working vintage pens, etc). It just seems that looking at the history of pens that have sold there, the prices are a lot cheaper.

I have the 24 and the Monte Rosa. The 24 has a M nib while the Monte Rosa has a flexy 14C EF nib. I like both the pens. My Monte Roza particularly has a great nib. I cant stop enjoying writing with it. I bought the pen NOS, boxed and with paperwork. The pen still has the golden nib size sticker on it.

My 146 from the 80s has a very wet B/BB stub nib. It has a fair degree of flex too. My 144 Bordeaux also came boxed and with paperwork and MB converter. I use the 144 whenever I go out of station.

Besides, I also have a very clean good condition 14k nibbed 320 piston filled from the 60s' student pens' range. A good writer too.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I also have a Monterosa 042G. Excellent little pen (prefer writing with it posted); the nib is a true fine - outstanding.

With the vintage stuff it really comes down to your personal preference (i.e. Size, era, price range) as they are all good pens - built for writing rather than bling.

Happy hunting!

John

I also have a Monterosa 042G. Excellent little pen (prefer writing with it posted); the nib is a true fine - outstanding.

With the vintage stuff it really comes down to your personal preference (i.e. Size, era, price range) as they are all good pens - built for writing rather than bling.

Happy hunting!

John

What pen would you suggest that is at a really good price point right now?