Does Glitter "shed" Off Paper?

LizEF

So, I'm thinking about getting a sample of an ink with glitter in it for our weekly challenge threads. I'm not particularly interested in glittery ink otherwise, but if I get it, I want to use it up (and use it with the glitter as intended). But the big question for me is whether it will come off the paper easily (like it comes off commercial greeting cards, for example). If it will, I want to ban its existence from the universe with all other forms of glitter! (Have you ever tried to get that stuff out of upholstery!?) :angry: But if it stays on the paper, then I'm OK with it. :)

(If it makes a difference, I'm considering Diamine Blue Pearl and Diamine Magical Forest.)

Thanks for sharing your experiences with shimmery / glittery inks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Inkvisible

• Arkanabar

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

My first impulse would be to say no.

But just to be sure, I went back through my morning pages to an older page in Blue Lightning. I rubbed my index finger very vigorously over the most glittery words and found that there may have been one or two tiny sparkles on my fingertip. There was no sign of shedding anywhere in the notebook.

In normal use, I have never noticed any shedding. I don't think you will see any.

My only experience is with the J. Herbin glitter inks, but I haven't had any shedding from any of them, even on things written months ago.

Thanks, guys, for your enabling, er, help! :) I'll continue with my plans to buy a shimmer ink. (Maybe as a backup plan, I'll identify a politician to whom I can write a long letter, in case the stuff I get does shed.) ;)

It depends... if the ink has too much glitter and the paper isn't absorbant, the glitter won't stick. It needs to dry and sink into the paper. Write to the politician anyway.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It depends... if the ink has too much glitter and the paper isn't absorbant, the glitter won't stick. It needs to dry and sink into the paper. Write to the politician anyway.

Thanks! :lol:

Make sure it's a local politician. If you send such a missive to Washington DC, odds are that it will be opened under a hood by a Homeland Security agent in a bunny suit and filter mask, and (should it be deemed harmless) passed onto a staffer who will note your opinions on upcoming votes, and add them to a spreadsheet or other tally, which will be presented to your congresscritter. Members of your state legislature, county commission, school board, and city council are far more likely to open their own mail.

As a teenager, I used to answer letters for my father, a member of the Illinois legislature. He did read them, but passed them on to me to answer with a pre-printed postcard provided by the State. I just added the bill number and address, and signed his name.

That was a long time ago.

Make sure it's a local politician. If you send such a missive to Washington DC, odds are that it will be opened under a hood by a Homeland Security agent in a bunny suit and filter mask, and (should it be deemed harmless) passed onto a staffer who will note your opinions on upcoming votes, and add them to a spreadsheet or other tally, which will be presented to your congresscritter. Members of your state legislature, county commission, school board, and city council are far more likely to open their own mail.

:bunny01: Bunny suit. :lticaptd: (I actually know what those are - some use them here at work.)

Good advice. I'll make sure all glittery letters go to local politicians.... Hmm, maybe I should test your theory and send one to Washington with an extra (first) page (and SASE?) for the bunny-suited Homeland Security agent... (This makes me think I need the most obvious, obnoxious, ostentatious glittery ink I can find.)

As a teenager, I used to answer letters for my father, a member of the Illinois legislature. He did read them, but passed them on to me to answer with a pre-printed postcard provided by the State. I just added the bill number and address, and signed his name.

That was a long time ago.

Now there's probably some AI logic to auto-respond to emails. All the more reason to use cursive - the young staffers won't be able to read it. :lol:

My experience with J.Herbin's 1670 is that it depends on the paper how much it sheds off.

Maybe a fixing spray helps.

My experience with J.Herbin's 1670 is that it depends on the paper how much it sheds off.

Maybe a fixing spray helps.

Got it - "adhesive" paper and/or fixing spray for me and people I like, "shedding" paper and no spray for bad politicians. :lol: Apparently I'll need to experiment. Maybe in a conference room at work... ;)