The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi Eco And Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng

twsbi twsbi eco eco noodlers staining kung te-cheng

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2017 - 00:11

Hi! I received my first TWSBI—an Eco—and I was wondering how resistant it is to staining from "strong" inks. In particular, I am looking at filling it with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng, which is a great ink but also something that people have described as "apocalypse-proof". I have lent it successfully to people when their ballpoints (ew) would not on the signature space on credit cards so it is that kind of special and stubborn.

I don't have high hopes for its compatibility but if it has been tried and tested it would a welcome surprise.

nb. I get the whole battle scars argument but I prefer my pens to be on the side of "pristine"

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Sponsored Content

#2 rickap

rickap

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2017 - 00:26

Did Kung Te-Cheng come with a free pen that has a clear body? If so try that pen first. If it doesn't stain you're good to go. I'd also check the ink reviews section for reviews of Kung Te-Cheng.

Rick

#3 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2017 - 00:47

Did Kung Te-Cheng come with a free pen that has a clear body? If so try that pen first. If it doesn't stain you're good to go. I'd also check the ink reviews section for reviews of Kung Te-Cheng.

I'll have another look around the KTC reviews to see if anyone used them with the Eco, thanks! It did not stain the bundled Charlie but I don't think it's the same material as the Eco..certainly smells differently.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#4 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2017 - 00:54

There are a few inks which remove stains (according to various posts here), so if KTC stains your barrel, you could always just use one of those inks to remove the stain...

#5 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:03

Anticheris, I can't directly answer your question, as I do not have an Eco. However, I keep KTC in a Sheaffer School Pen that I turned into an eyedropper. It has been sloshing around directly against the pen for months and I have had NO staining from that ink. Can't speak for the material in an Eco, but that ink has caused me absolutely no problems and I enjoy using it almost daily.

#6 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:28

I had KTC in a Preppy for several weeks and it cleaned out marvelously.

However, I've always had staining issues with any waterproof ink I put in my ECO. The main part of the barrel is fine, but the little grooves down at the bottom of the ink compartment just below where the piston stops are incredibly hard to get stains out of. Only ammonia solution worked for me. I personally wouldn't risk putting KTC in an ECO just because it's such a hassle to clean.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#7 alwaysmetara

alwaysmetara

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2017 - 16:41

I've also had ink staining down in the grooves. However, not-quite-so waterproof inks have also stained that part for me so I've mostly given up on trying to keep it clean. It's not super noticeable unless your pen is empty.

#8 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• 2,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:24

KTC is a very tough ink. I chose to dedicate a pen to it. When it dries, it is very difficult to remove. If you want to use it in the Eco, assume that you won't be using anything else.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 18:27

I would love to see pictures. I would wager (were it not unlawful) that your Eco is the perfect pen for this ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#10 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 19:34

... I would wager (were it not unlawful) ....

Wait, they outlawed wagering in Las Vegas? :yikes:

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 19:42

Online wagering is still illegal under the Federal Wire Act - except at specific licensed websites.  FPN is definitely not one of those sites.  

Recently however there has been an infrastructure put in place and also a change in the law in three US States those being New Jersey, Delaware and Nevada, and as such you can now legally gamble in those jurisdictions if you place your sports bet at one of the newly State licensed sites.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 19:45

I had KTC in a Preppy for several weeks and it cleaned out marvelously.

However, I've always had staining issues with any waterproof ink I put in my ECO. The main part of the barrel is fine, but the little grooves down at the bottom of the ink compartment just below where the piston stops are incredibly hard to get stains out of. Only ammonia solution worked for me. I personally wouldn't risk putting KTC in an ECO just because it's such a hassle to clean.

I've also had ink staining down in the grooves. However, not-quite-so waterproof inks have also stained that part for me so I've mostly given up on trying to keep it clean. It's not super noticeable unless your pen is empty.

That is a good point, those spots are hard to clean. The problem with KTC is that it can leave a residue which needs to be manually removed. I think of it like touchless carwashes. The water and soap do a nice job, but to really get off all the dust, you need to touch the car.  KTC will come right off where you can touch the pen, but in those hard to reach spots, it will look stained.  It will clean up, but when the pen is empty you would see it.

#13 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 19:53

Online wagering is still illegal under the Federal Wire Act - except at specific licensed websites.  FPN is definitely not one of those sites.  

Recently however there has been an infrastructure put in place and also a change in the law in three US States those being New Jersey, Delaware and Nevada, and as such you can now legally gamble in those jurisdictions if you place your sports bet at one of the newly State licensed sites.

Oh sure, ruin my joke with facts. ;) (Just teasing.  Interesting facts though.)

#14 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 22:25

That is a good point, those spots are hard to clean. The problem with KTC is that it can leave a residue which needs to be manually removed. I think of it like touchless carwashes. The water and soap do a nice job, but to really get off all the dust, you need to touch the car.  KTC will come right off where you can touch the pen, but in those hard to reach spots, it will look stained.  It will clean up, but when the pen is empty you would see it.

What a great way to explain it!

In light of this, what pens can be easily disassembled so you can physically wipe off EVERY part directly in contact with KTC?

[Immediately some Pilot pens (78G, Prera, Kakuno, etc.) come to mind, but I haven't been able to get KTC to flow in them.]

#15 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:19

Thanks for the input, everyone! :) I'll see if I'm brave enough to be the first one to try. KTC is a smashing ink but also a very potent one.

#16 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:54

TruthPil, you may want to dilute KTC with a little water to flow through those pens.

#17 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:50

TruthPil, you may want to dilute KTC with a little water to flow through those pens.

Thanks, we had a whole different thread on here a few months back about dilution issues.

Long story short, to solve the flow problems but keep the same super-saturated color, something other than water must be used.

#18 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:00

That thread has been around since 2011 - thanks for sharing it with me.

#19 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:21

Thanks for the input, everyone! :) I'll see if I'm brave enough to be the first one to try. KTC is a smashing ink but also a very potent one.

If you don't mind the staining and the ink flows well, then I say go for it. Just make sure to always keep enough ink the pen and don't let it sit unused for more than a day or two. If KTC dries out in your nib and feed then you'll be in for a lot of work to clean it out.

#20 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 14:46

Anyway guys, I chickened out and loaded it with a Slov. Skrip Blue-Black mix. Will update this thread in the future if I ever get around to pairing the two together.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, twsbi eco, eco, noodlers, staining, kung te-cheng

Sponsored Content

|