Converter For Vintage Lamy Cp1

koulour

I am currently waiting for a probably vintage Lamy CP1 (it is the brushed stainless steel finish which if I'm not mistaken is common only to the older "slimmer" CP1s). My problem is that from what I have found here (oh! The wisdom of fpn) I might have a problem finding a current production Lamy converter that fits (understatement I like).

I also have read that Parker/Aurora cartridges fit in the current and older production CP1s but a screw Parker converter does not fit.

The question is simple. Will a Parker slide or Aurora screw converter do the job? Has any owner of my type of pen tried such a thing with success?

My long shot: is it possible that a Parker "aerometric" press type converter (the newer types with semi-transparent sac) will fit?

All these are available to me for purchase but not to try before buy :(

I just want to clarify that only converter and no "refill cartridge" solution is acceptable by my laziness.

I'd like to thank everyone replying in advance.

Κοίτα εκεί που θες να πας, αλλιώς...

...θα πας εκεί που κοιτάς.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• koulour

• Dib

• JasonF2

• Robert Alan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an early Lamy CP-1 in my collection and a standard Lamy Z-26 converter fits it perfectly. I collect Lamy writing instruments and, as far as I can tell, the CP-1 design has not changed, over the years, since it was first designed by Gerd Muller and marketed by Lamy. The only change I have seen was with the nib color and markings. Early CP-1 fountain pens had black painted, unmarked nibs exactly the same as very early Safari fountain pens. Current production CP-1 fountain pens are fitted with the standard, slip-on, marked/signed steel nib.

I would never use a Parker/Aurora converter or cartridge in any of my Lamy cartridge/converter fountain pens and I do not recommend using them.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

First of all, I warmly thank you for your reply Robert.

I am glad to hear your side of the history of CP1 since my OP was based on another thread here on fpn:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/280952-smaller-than-lamy-cp1/

Though it would be best for me things are just as you say, I am now in deeper confusion as you can imagine.

So there is one sole answer to my problem, buy an try a Lamy a Z26 converter. And if it is unusable in my specific pen then repost for further help while at the same time trying on my own for other solutions.

I promise though that if I find a workaround I will inform here!

See ya!

early cp1 were first steel (50), later also sterling silber (53) and black (58). They took "Z20" converter as shown in the 1979 catalogue:

post-7054-0-27103500-1491138457.jpg

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

Thanks for the reply Dib!

So, given the fact that it is rather impossible for me to find (within the limits of a normal budget for a converter) a Z20 do you have something in mind for a modern substitute? Or is the fact on Z20 compatibility to the older CP1s irrelevant with modern Lamy converters? (Meaning that a Z26 will fit vintage pens)

Troubled I am.

Needless to say that I am willing (and I believe able) to make minor adjustments or mods to a Z26 or any other converter to make it fit properly, but a real world reliable example would give me hope and guidance at the same time. If indeed needed.

Edited by koulour

Hi

sometimes you find a Z20 in a old cp1.

But I confess I hate all these sac-converters. Perhaps the Parker piston-converter may fit. This is the converter you don't turn, but push the piston.

Collectors of the Aurora Hastil has a similar problem. Some years ago I dismantled a Aurora sac-converter and used only the front piece, glued to the sac.

Now I recycle empty cartridges with a injection.

Best regards from Germany

Dirk

post-7054-0-17261700-1491160185_thumb.jpg

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

Well, to tell you the truth I have been crossing my fingers for a suitable converter to be included, but I don't feel particularly lucky lately.

I think I might just try out the slide (aka "Standard") Parker converter as you suggest. It has been in my mind as the preferred choise from the beginning of the whole story since the plastic used for its construction seems to have some chances of a small heat treatment to make it a bit less wide at the opening if the fit is loose. This and the fact that it costs the less, so if it doesn't fit or if it gets ruined I wouldn't have wasted a lot.

Anyway, I warmly thank you both for your kind replies, I surely welcome any other ideas and stop typing to just cross again my fingers.

PS: I acknowledge that my best of options is to refill cartridges (with the added bonus of max ink capacity) but unfortunately for me it is not an option. Two-year old kids seem to photocopy all the wrong habits of their parents, just to mimic them while they are not around...

...plus the fact that I am too lazy!

Edited by koulour

Update #1

The pen is in my hands. Unfortunately no converter is included, but I am not feeling completely unlucky because it is a 585 marked rhodium (?) plated OM nib! The first try after flushing was with a cartridge of Parker permanent black since the vendor was kind enough to provide a pack of those. The fit is not the snuggest but it seems that there are no apparent leakages. So it is time for the Parker converter to have a go. I am buying the thing tomorrow so as to post new update with results.

PS: I looove how the nib feels even though I am not the hugest fan of oblique nibs. Line width is that of a true medium with variations to almost EF. Perfect!

Edited by koulour

Update #2

The Parker converter will have to wait for a bit. The reason is that Parker cartridges finally seem to be incompatible as two of them have both leaked inside the barrel eventually. So logic indicates that since the cartridge which is also pushed in place by the tight fit (both of them had horizontal marks from the barrel when held vertically as if they where scratched slightly when assembling the nib unit to the barrel) doesn't really work the converter should make for an even more problematic solution to my issue.

Good (?) news is that I am currently waiting for Lamy Z26 converters in order to try out their compatibility. If I can get a perfect fit with zero or minor mods I will update with results. If they don't fit at all I will try the Parker.

I simply won't let go of that pen! The more I use it the more I like it!

Hi, please do keep us updated as you find what works. I have a late 70's Lamy Studio with an oblique broad that I can't wait to try, but haven't found much info on what other cartridges or converters work with it besides the Z20 which I can't find. I tried a T10 cartridge but the little nub wouldn't puncture the cart.

Is there a reason not to purchase the current converter? (the one without the nubs)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hi all!

First of all many thanks to everyone for the interest!

Hi, please do keep us updated as you find what works. I have a late 70's Lamy Studio with an oblique broad that I can't wait to try, but haven't found much info on what other cartridges or converters work with it besides the Z20 which I can't find. I tried a T10 cartridge but the little nub wouldn't puncture the cart.

Is there a reason not to purchase the current converter? (the one without the nubs)

D.ick

Well, among other things, I have read this and this, here on our own forum. I haven't tried a Z26 myself since I had the chance to hold the pen in hand, I can only confirm that from what I can remember when holding a recent production (modern) CP1 the Mod.50 is quite slimmer. Though this could mean nothing at all (the outside profile surely has little to do with the space inside saved for carts or converters) others seem to mention that the Z26 does not fit "as is" and "shaving down" of the converter is needed. Maybe at the plastic screw holder or at the metal ring. I do not know. Maybe it is a correct fit from the start without any need for mods.

Anyway, I will know and will post my case when the ones I have in the mail arrive.

Update#3 coming soon. :)

Indeed modern converters do not work on vintage CP1. May I recommend a Lamy cartridge, refilled with a syringe when needed?

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

Indeed modern converters do not work on vintage CP1. May I recommend a Lamy cartridge, refilled with a syringe when needed?

I tried using an unused Lamy cartridge on my 70's Studio (which also does not accept the modern converters, even the one without the nubs from what I understand) but it wouldn't puncture the cart. Maybe the new carts just use stronger plastic so I'll try fitting an already used cart and see if that works. Thanks!

Update #3

First of all I wish to thank you all for your comments and input!

To the point and in telegraphic style:

• Lamy Z26-No fit. Nipple outside too wide to fit in space of section AND metal ring does not pass through barrel threading. Shaving down not possible solution since converter plastic body is still too wide for barrel threading inside dia.
  • Parker cartridge-No fit. Ink leakage.
  • Parker Standard converter (slide) AND Parker press converter-No fit. Nipple too loose, doesn't even hold on to the section.
  • Parker Deluxe converter (twist)-FIT! Though looser fit at the nipple than I'd like, no leakages mentioned for a rocky and rolly two days time span. Hope to last more!

Seems that the best option is still cartridge refilling (but not by my experience, I haven't actually tried this). But the very best second is the Parker Deluxe (aka twist, screw) converter.

Hope all this becomes useful to someone in the future!

:)

Edited by koulour