New To The Fountain Pen Craze Over Here :)

eL_Fernan

Hello, I'm Fernando and I've had the (mis)fortunate of getting hooked into Fountains Pens for a couple of months now. I have mostly bought cheap Chinese pens (JinHao and such), and bought a couple of lower price vintage and fix them, a surety pen, with a nib that had a broken thine, thinking of making it a cursive italic nib, an Esterbrook model J, that one was an easy fix and it was in good shape and currently managed to grab a Mauve Wearever pen and working on making it write, the pen's filling mechanism is a little bit different it has a blind cap with a push lever inside.

Looking forward to get into a higher tier pen for purchase, so far looking into a Pelikan M205 M Nib (prefer the Rhodium trim) or either a Pilot Falcon SF nib or a Vanishing Point F Nib. Thing is I also want to sketch with it so I'm guessing the Falcon probably be better for that.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BradGad

• ThomasB

• jar

• Chrissy

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. You might want to take a look at the Pelikan M215, it has a metal body and is a little heavier than the M200 although both are great pens!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Greetings and welcome!

:W2FPN:

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Welcome to our warm nook of the internet, where you can share this beautiful hobby with good and friendly people. Or as we say in low Saxon: Mooi a'j dr bint! (Good you're here.)

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

We have a craze? Awesome!

And welcome.

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

Welcome, Fernando !

Some of the Jinhao fountain pens are excellent utility pens. I have several different ones.

Though the mechanisms are different, most fountain pens of era 1930 -1950 are merely different

ways of "squeezing" the rubber sac. This is a good site to ask questions.

Please keep us advised on your progress.

Which pen is your favorite writer ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello, I'm Fernando and I've had the (mis)fortunate of getting hooked into Fountains Pens for a couple of months now. I have mostly bought cheap Chinese pens (JinHao and such), and bought a couple of lower price vintage and fix them, a surety pen, with a nib that had a broken thine, thinking of making it a cursive italic nib, an Esterbrook model J, that one was an easy fix and it was in good shape and currently managed to grab a Mauve Wearever pen and working on making it write, the pen's filling mechanism is a little bit different it has a blind cap with a push lever inside.

Looking forward to get into a higher tier pen for purchase, so far looking into a Pelikan M205 M Nib (prefer the Rhodium trim) or either a Pilot Falcon SF nib or a Vanishing Point F Nib. Thing is I also want to sketch with it so I'm guessing the Falcon probably be better for that.

... I'm scared to make the jump from Metropolitans and Lamy Safaris to Pilot VP or Lamy 2000, anyone have any suggestions for $40 - $70 pens?

... I'm scared to make the jump from Metropolitans and Lamy Safaris to Pilot VP or Lamy 2000, anyone have any suggestions for $40 - $70 pens?

If you don't mind the wait from a Japanese retailer, this is a heck of a lot of pen for $75. I have one on the way. Pilot Custom Heritage 91. (It's essentially a Pilot Custom 74 in an alternate form factor... same nib, takes the CON-70. Less than half the price of a 74 from US retailers.)

I don't have one of these, but it's very highly regarded around these here parts. TWSBI 580AL.
Edited by BradGad

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and Welcome to FPN, from Cape Town (South Africa).

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill