Is There An Ef Nib That Fits In A Pilot Lucina?

JunkyardSam

I have considerably more expensive Pilot pens but I picked up an orange Pilot Lucina as a novelty... To me it looks kind of like a poor man's vermillion 845.

I was completely surprised with how well it writes out of the box. It rivals my more expensive Pilots, just with a firmer nib. Half the time I buy Pilot pens (regardless of price) the tines are so tight that barely any ink flows through at all... but this Lucina was perfect right out of the box with no adjustment needed.

I'd like to get a few more Lucinas in other nib sizes... however, the Pilot Lucina is unavailable with an EF nib.

Is there a Japanese EF nib which will fit on a Lucina? (I don't believe the 78g is an option -- my MR/Prera nibs are similar in size/shape to the Lucina at least visually --- but too different to fit.)

Edited by JunkyardSam

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JunkyardSam

• bigkahuna

• Algester

• truthpil

Thanks. I should have specified the need for a gold plated steel nib, though. The 98 falls into a price category I'd rather not buy just to move the nib onto a Lucina.

My Pilot Lucina (gold-plated steel) nibs are the same size as my Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (Rhodium-plated 14K gold) nibs... I think they are sized Pilot #5. I am also under the impression that Pilot only made steel nibs in this size for the Pilot Lucina and for the Cross Solo and Radiance (Cross contracted Pilot to produce these in the 90s IIRC). I do not believe that Pilot made any of these nibs in EF.

Thanks, Big Kahuna. But as my inky fingers can sadly attest -- the CH92 & Lucina nibs look similar in size but they are not swappable.

Neither will fit on the other, as I just tried.

It MIGHT be possible to manipulate the top of the nib to wedge it in but it would require enough alteration that it would permanently damage the nib. It looks like I'm out of luck outside of getting a custom grind for the Lucina which I prefer not to do.

the number 5 nib would be bigger... as far as I know only the Custom 98 would more or less fit... any number markings on the Lucina nib? it should be marked inside <>

ok I looked at some nib shots it doesnt mark the nib size... mmm... worst case scenario you will need to request a custom grind

another pen that could theoretically fit is the Grance (not sterling silver) and stella90 (either way they are more expensive than your pen in question)

Edited by Algester

Thanks, Big Kahuna. But as my inky fingers can sadly attest -- the CH92 & Lucina nibs look similar in size but they are not swappable.

Neither will fit on the other, as I just tried.

It MIGHT be possible to manipulate the top of the nib to wedge it in but it would require enough alteration that it would permanently damage the nib. It looks like I'm out of luck outside of getting a custom grind for the Lucina which I prefer not to do.

Eek! I hope you didn't incur any damage with the attempted swap. Equally fervently, I hope I didn't incur any damage when I swapped mine.

I'm looking at my CH92 nib currently mounted in my Red/Black Lucina. It seems to fit fine, and I didn't have to force anything. Please note that I only swapped the CH92 nib (but not the CH92 feed) onto the Lucina... I used the original Lucina feed, fitted the CH92 nib onto it and pressed it into the socket in the grip section. The CH92 nib seemed to fit the Lucina feed quite well, and did not present any obvious mechanical interference.

I do not think I broke anything by doing this, but I will need to inspect the parts in detail. So far, I have not noticed any apparent damage... Egads, I hope not I have not bunged things up!

Edited to add: My Lucina nib fits in my PCH92 as well (fitted to the PCH92 feed)... I do not think that I exerted any extra effort to get anything to fit, but I've been known to over-apply force without realizing it. Close inspection of all parts does not reveal any damage on either pen (unless I missed it). With the nibs swapped, both pens function as expected. There is a disconnect somewhere but I'm not seeing it.

Edited by Big_Kahuna

Thanks for the additional info Big_Kahuna --

This is fascinating because there is indeed a size difference between my two nibs. For example if I stack the nibs on top of each other --- one can fit "inside" the other, but if I swap the order they don't stack!

Your post is almost making me think our Lucinas were manufactured differently. And yes, I am talking just the nib swap - not a feed swap.

I'm speaking of the rounded part at the top of the nib. If I bend it in a way that makes it more round --- I might be able to get the 92's nib into the Lucina but by default it wouldn't go in at all.

It's particularly fascinating to me that it works for you but not for me. I really wonder what's going on here! lol

But maybe it's like the people who swear up and down that it's possible to eyedropper a Falcon. Meanwhile I have three and ink will just leak from the feed if I try. Maybe there are small differences in manufacturing.

The date code of my Lucina's nib is 516 -- May 2016. I would be curious to know what yours is if you're willing to look!

I won't bother with the date code on the 92 because my 92 nib is identical to all four of my 91 nibs so I think it's our Lucinas that might be different.

Thanks for the additional info Big_Kahuna --

This is fascinating because there is indeed a size difference between my two nibs. For example if I stack the nibs on top of each other --- one can fit "inside" the other, but if I swap the order they don't stack!

Your post is almost making me think our Lucinas were manufactured differently. And yes, I am talking just the nib swap - not a feed swap.

I'm speaking of the rounded part at the top of the nib. If I bend it in a way that makes it more round --- I might be able to get the 92's nib into the Lucina but by default it wouldn't go in at all.

It's particularly fascinating to me that it works for you but not for me. I really wonder what's going on here! lol

But maybe it's like the people who swear up and down that it's possible to eyedropper a Falcon. Meanwhile I have three and ink will just leak from the feed if I try. Maybe there are small differences in manufacturing.

The date code of my Lucina's nib is 516 -- May 2016. I would be curious to know what yours is if you're willing to look!

I won't bother with the date code on the 92 because my 92 nib is identical to all four of my 91 nibs so I think it's our Lucinas that might be different.

I have two Lucinas. My Medium is coded 715 (July 2015) and my Fine is coded 112 (January 2012). I conducted the swap experiment with my Fine nib (2012), but I did not try the swap with my Medium nib (2015). Perhaps the nib design changed between 2012 and 2015?!?! I'll compare both Lucina nibs tonight when I get home.

Edited by Big_Kahuna

I have two Lucinas. My Medium is coded 715 (July 2015) and my Fine is coded 112 (January 2012). I conducted the swap experiment with my Fine nib (2012), but I did not try the swap with my Medium nib (2015). Perhaps the nib design changed between 2012 and 2015?!?! I'll compare both Lucina nibs tonight when I get home.

Confirmed that both Lucina feeds and nibs are fully interchangable with each other.

The PCH92 14K Medium nib is currently swapped into my Black Lucina. With the 14K Medium nib installed, it writes wetter and with a wider line width than the stock gold-plated steel M nib. But, it is fully functional and fits perfectly. I'll try to figure out how to upload a picture when my phone battery is charged up.

Edited to add: The Medium Lucina nib is currently installed on my Pilot Custom Heritage 92. Line width and wetness are exactly the same as when this nib was installed on the Lucina... again, fully functional and fits fine.

It is my opinion that with these (my) particular pens, the nibs are interchangeable with no special measures required. It is possible that other Lucinas or PCH92s may have different dimensions that prevent nib swapping.

Edited by Big_Kahuna

• 1 year later...

if Lucinas does use the number 5 nibs that would mean... a japanese C74 would be needed to have a gold trim nib

Can anyone confirm that a Pilot Custom 74 nib will fit in a Lucina?

I'd like to have that great-looking yellow Lucina body sporting a 14k nib hehe.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 2 months later...

I tried it. Could not make it work.

It seems that one nib (the 74, I think - I tried it weeks ago) has more of a downward curve than the other so the nibs & feeds did not match. It fit, but it would not write.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

I tried it. Could not make it work.

It seems that one nib (the 74, I think - I tried it weeks ago) has more of a downward curve than the other so the nibs & feeds did not match. It fit, but it would not write.

Thanks, Rob G!

That saves me a lot of time and trouble.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small