Fountain Pen For High School Use

PotatoJesus

This is my pen case. It gives a lot of protection, at an economical price.

fpn_1344918498__pencarrier.jpg

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotatoJesus

• ac12

• TheYellowHobbit

• surprise123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most piston fillers don't usually hold much more than a converter/cartridge, and sometimes less. Agreed with dogpoet - C/C is the only practical way to go for school/college.

Cheap, plain looking, durable, and versatile is best. Don't give thieves a reason.

Parker "51" Vacumatic and or Aerometric filler

Seriously?

Most piston fillers don't usually hold much more than a converter/cartridge, and sometimes less. Agreed with dogpoet - C/C is the only practical way to go for school/college.

Cheap, plain looking, durable, and versatile is best. Don't give thieves a reason.

Seriously?

Yeah I was going to put my pen in an old glasses case that I have lying around, its super tough and nobody would really steal glasses cases( at least I think)

@Potato Jesus,
I also can't stand the section on the Lamy Safari/ Vista/ Al-Star/ Joy. If you prefer minimal section facets, and you want to try a Lamy, consider the Lamy ABC (minimal facets) and/or Logo (round section with corrugations).

My typical suggestion is a Platinum Plaisir in medium (0.5mm tipping). Lightweight anodized aluminum body, a cap so airtight you can leave it in a drawer for a year and reasonably expect it to write on the first stroke, ~10mm section, a cartridge you can refill with a disposable bulb pipette, and you can get an adapter so you can fit short international cartridges and converters. They have feedback; they are not butter smooth. This is the ONLY pen I've ever bought myself a duplicate.

If you like your Metro's nib, consider a Pilot Kakuno. It has more girth, ought by Gum to be sturdy (it's a school pen for sure), is airweight (~10-11g, IIRC), and no cap clip.

The TWSBI ECO is probably a very good choice. I don't have one (yet), so can't recommend it on the basis of my own experience.

For cartridge pens, using cartridge, I recommend carrying TWO of them.

When pen #1 runs out of ink, or stops writing, immediately switch to pen #2 and keep going.

Save changing the ink cartridge or trouble shooting for later, when you have time, or do it at home.

This is what I did in college, I carried 2 matched Parker 45s (black with F nibs).

And have a gel pen (or pencils) to back up the 2nd fountain pen. Cuz if pen #1 fails at the beginning of the day, you are going through the rest of the day without a backup pen. That is just temping Murphey to strike.

If you use a converter or piston pen, make it a standard routine that after you finish your homework, REFILL the pens. That way you start the day with two FULL pens. With the Eco, you can see how much ink is in the pen, so you could refill when you drop below half, or what you think your max usage will be. I would NOT try to go as many days as you can on one fill. Cuz Murphey will strike, and you will run out of ink sooner than you thought.

The Parker 45 is a great school pen. I used it for both under grad and grad school, and I use two P45s today.

But, the Parker 45 is out of production, you can't just order the pen as you want it. If you want a black pen with a F nib, you may have to get a black pen with a M nib and a red pen with a F nib, then swap the nibs. Though some dealers may do that for you, sometimes for an additional cost. Hunting is not hard, but not as easy and simple as just ordering the pen and nib size from a dealer.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I thought the Loom's cap is metal lined with plastic. So far mine has held up well; I've had it for about 2 months and have had no problems.

Replying to myself because I had forgotten there were multiple Loom types. I have the metallic one, which does in fact have a metal cap. The piano- ones indeed look plastic.

• 1 year later...

The Liliput is a good choice. You could always go the vintage route and get a Pelikan or Parker for a good price. I currently carry a Parker Duofold with J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir in my pocket in school every day, and it is discreet enough to not be stolen or anything. Never leaks. Or just get a Fisher space pen.

Wing sung 601 or 698. Kaco edge. Something lightweight with a very fine nib for writing on whatever garbage paper your teacher throws at you.

TWSBI GO. If you want to splurge, a TWSBI Eco.

Pilot penmanship if you can find one cheap

Pilot metro

Pilot explorer

Platinum preppy

Platinum plaisir

Pilot varsity

Delike alpha

Moonman M2

Moonman wancai mini

any of the cheaper PenBBS models.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

So I want to upgrade from the use of ballpoint pens at school to a fountain pen. I do have a pen that I enjoy to use at home to study with, but its made out of acrylic, which makes be very scared that it will break in my bag. I know for a fact that there will be times when the pen will be beat around my bag, so I want to stick with pens that are more heavy duty, and made out of metal so that it will be less likely to have any part of the pen break or crack. I do have a metropolitain, but I find the grip section way to uncomfortably small to use, so the grip section would preferably be ~10mm. I was thinking about getting a Brass Tactile Turn but I know there are other alternatives like a Karas Kustoms Ink(not a fan of the finishes they have for the aluminum versions) or the Kaweco Brass Sport. Are there any other metal pens that I should consider? It will mostly be used at school and will probably only have black or blue-black ink in them. I usually like to write in pencil at school (easier to fix mistakes) but when differentiating important notes from others and taking test it will be used.

Get one good pen, maybe not now, but once you feel your school is safe enough, get one of these:

post-135788-0-87469100-1548343213_thumb.jpg

The Pilot VP is really convenient for notetaking, but it doesn't hold too much ink. I'd say, a TWSBI is great, their acrylics have greatly improved (my Eco has survived a 10-foot drop with nothing to show for it except some ink on the tines). It's safe to say, TWSBI isn't gonna crack on you for years.

I'm kind of unsure how this thread came back alive after 2 years but I do thank any one that has taken the time to give some more pen ideas. I don't really need any more recommendations as I have settled into a Homosapiens - M1000 - Lamy Imporium daily carry to school.

I'm kind of unsure how this thread came back alive after 2 years but I do thank any one that has taken the time to give some more pen ideas. I don't really need any more recommendations as I have settled into a Homosapiens - M1000 - Lamy Imporium daily carry to school.

Dang, you really went for it. Nice pens.

Next up for you is a Mont Blanc 149 to carry to school.

I forgot this kid was crazy rich.

But he did his homework and asked a lot of wise questions, so I can't really call him out for just buying expensive for the sake of it

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I forgot this kid was crazy rich.

But he did his homework and asked a lot of wise questions, so I can't really call him out for just buying expensive for the sake of it

Not crazy rich at all,

money came from flipping pens and any odd jobs that I did throughout the year. Also bought all my pens used so they came at a much discounted price that what they go for new

Next up for you is a Mont Blanc 149 to carry to school.

I was thinking about getting a Mont Blanc but browsing through a thread, forgot the name of it but it questioned the worth of really expensive pens, it made me realize that I didnt really need to have 149 and my M1000 serves the job of a german piston filler well

Edited by PotatoJesus

Don't they still use fountain pens in high school in some parts of China, India, and Japan? What do they use?

Fountain pen use is mandatory upto class 10 in schools in Pakistan. Dollar pens, Bahadur pens, Dux pens and a variety of other locally made pens are used by students. Chinese pens are almost non-existant here in local markets.

Khan M. Ilyas