Krishna Bai

fountainpagan

DISCLAMER - I have been a satisfied and content customer, of Kim and Krishna pens, over several years. I own a certain number of both brands. All of the pens where paid by me.

Thank you for reading this review, that reflects my impressions, and also emotions, regarding the pen, but as well as its maker.

We all know Dr Sreekhumar, also known as SK, here at FPN.

An excellent nib master, ink wizard (Krishna inks, so well reviewed by mehandiratta, here at FPN), penmaker / seller - namely Kim pens, but also his own made pens under the brand Krishna.

Dr Sreekhumar humbly consideres himself as "still a student" in what pen making is concerned. It is his opinion, not mine. I am very satisfied not only with the finishing of Krishna pens (no tool marks, soft polishing), but also with the fact that none burp (all are ED fillers), and all their nibs are softened and tuned by Dr Sreekhumar.

Dr Sreekhumar has been experimenting something new: lacquered pens.

I have was given the privilege, not only, of being the owner of three (3) of them, but also of having christened them.

I have named this lacquered pen Krishna Bai in honour of the 16th century indian hindou poetesse Mira Bai, and Krishna follower. She wrote hundreds of bhajans (devotional hindou songs dedicated to a divinity) praising Krishna.

This pen is the first one to have received a Krishna own brand nib (a novelty).

Pen Measurements

Length when closed - 14,80 cm

Length when opened (nib enclosed) - 13,20 cm

Cap's length - 7,20 cm

Nib's mength - 1, 70 cm

ED filling and cartridge (The feeder used for this pen has a plastic capillarity tube permiting the use of a pre-pierced cartridge)

Feed material - ebonite

My impressions

Krishna Bai is a well balanced pen, and confortable even after having written with for a while. The grip is perfect for my hand.

The lacquer gives to the pen a highly soft surface, and it is very agreable when we touch it.

The #35 Krishna nib is buttery soft, perfect for cursive writing, and has a little elasticity at the tip allowing a slight line variation (see writing sample photo). I have had great pleasure playing with it.

Photos will speak better

fpn_1490548570__property_of_maria_jj.jpg fpn_1490548644__property_maria_jj.jpg

Detail of the lacquer with glitter

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/LM6S2r.jpg

The Krishna nib (I find its decoration quite fancy)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/z3nCAU.jpg

Feeder
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/oj9ZZJ.jpg

Writing sample
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/qa4ZZl.jpg

Edit - to change size of the first 2 images

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpagan

• mehandiratta

• mhguda

• Barkingpig

That's a very beautiful pen, fountainpagan! It looks as if every aspect of it was thought out carefully. Dr Sreekhumar has made a very pen. I hope you enjoy using it for many years.

That looks like a wonderful pen, and the engravings on the nib make it extra special.

Very very beautiful...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you for sharing this pen with us; it is indeed beautiful & a work of Art. I have only enjoyed his inks & have recently reordered some bottles after discovering his introduction of new colors & lines of ink. The staff has been VERY nice to accommodate my order, as has Dr. Sreekhumar by making possible some inks that were no longer offered. If this is the attention they pay to Customer Service for merely an order for ink, I am greatly impressed & can only imagine the joy it would be to have one of his pens, not to mention three!

I was intrigued by the inks when I was introduced to them here, finally ordered several colors last year when they shipping possible to the US & recently was overjoyed by their service when making a second order for more inks. Enjoy your pens as I am sure you will.

:) Thank you cleosmama, mhguda and Barkingpig.

I am indeed enjoying it greatly.

I will have to wait for the inks. The Pen World requires an order of 12 bottles minimum, and shipping costs to France are higher than the total order. Barkingpig, did you buy your inks through The Pen World?

WomenWagePeace

Yes indeed I did purchase the inks from PEN WORLD; I will send you the details of my order by Private Message.

I like the rugged look of this pen. Finish looks nice too. The nib design is a bit overkill for me. That's purely a personal opinion. Very good review indeed.

fountainpagan, I too am now buying some Krishna inks via The pen world, and while it is true the shipping cost is for 12 bottles minimum, you can buy a smaller quantity... it's just that the cost of the shipping is not really worthwhile then. It would be even better if you could buy two dozen, the shipping cost gets much more reasonable.

They told me they were looking at possibilities to reduce the shipping cost... and now that I see there are more of us in the same boat, maybe we have a chance that they will succeed?

I actually did buy a dozen inks, a double set of six, hoping to share with some of my friends locally, so that the cost at least is justifiable...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

i have placed an order for the same pen. its one of those pens which i have high expectations.

i have a lyrebird from dr SK with a special RC MB grind offered by him and its one of my best writers. this one also looks great from the pictures and has the added attraction of screw in nib units so that we can change nibs as we like.

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

@IndianElf - that is what is also nice: It looks rugged, but it is soft as silk..

@gudasrinivas - Thank you.

@ak2k5 - I am certain yours will be even better. I am the owner of the first pens, so... ;)

Yes, the Krishna Bai has a screw fit nib. That is an advantage, even if for this one I will leave the Krishna nib on. I am quite content with its performances.

Let us know your impressions when you get it, please.

Could you show a photo of the Lyrebird model, please?

@mhguda - Yes, they told me. Well, they will be getting more and more orders, and hopefully get better prices from the shipping company.

I am reviewing all of Mehandiratta's reviews to set my choices.

Edit: to add the second sentence of the message adressed to ak2k5

WomenWagePeace

@IndianElf - that is what is also nice: It looks rugged, but it is soft as silk..

@gudasrinivas - Thank you.

@ak2k5 - I am certain yours will be even better. I am the owner of the first pens, so... ;)

Yes, the Krishna Bai has a screw fit nib. That is an advantage, even if for this one I will leave the Krishna nib on. I am quite content with its performances.

Let us know your impressions when you get it, please.

Could you show a photo of the Lyrebird model, please?

@mhguda - Yes, they told me. Well, they will be getting more and more orders, and hopefully get better prices from the shipping company.

I am reviewing all of Mehandiratta's reviews to set my choices.

Edit: to add the second sentence of the message adressed to ak2k5

sure will share it..

im planning to get more nib units with speciality grinds from dr sk , so the screw in nib units will come handy as i don't have to purchase a pen each time for a new nib

Edited by ak2k5

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

• 2 months later...