Review Of The New Pilot 78G+ Ef (Picture Heavy)

Inkantadora

Hi,

The pens I am reviewing today are the latest version of the 78G that Pilot has started selling exclusively in China since early 2017.

My husband has a tiny handwriting and his pens 0.3 pens all seemed too thick for the size he was writing in his agenda in. He also likes the least pretentious pens possible in black and even a Metropolitan seemed too flashy for him.

Seeing that I have had good experiences with the old 78G B and BB nibs, when I saw the latest 78G+ version comments previously posted on FPN convinced me to try them out. Please check out the following link to see the thread including the comparison between the old and new 78G by Pilot.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/318931-pilot-78g-the-new-78g/?p=3789104

However, not being sure what my husband would prefer, I bought two pens: a royal blue Fine nib and the black extra fine. Since the EF is pretty much a needle point, he ended up preferring the F and Inwas super happy to keep the EF.

The pens really are very simple though quite nice. Contrary to adversement, body and cap of the new version are not more luxurious than the original 78G:

- the clip and ring holding it to the pen is thinner and less solid

- the plastic used on the body and cap is shinnier but also prone to more scratches

- the printed-on rings on the cap are already coming off after two weeks of use whereas the old ones who are still nice and present months

Despite this, there are positive aspects to this purchase. The blue color keeps getting comments from all who see it (including strangers who apparently get mesmerized by the royal blue hue of the EF). Plus, there is that EF nib which I am writing with on a daily basis.

Please note that I write big and usually love BIG juicy nibs, stubs and italics. I rarely enjoy anything smaller than an European M... yet this EF is quite pleasurable. It has just a tad of feedback and lays a consistent ultra thin line. Using a printed Nib Width Chart, the EF is actually 0.1 mm of fine writing pleasure. It is actually so fine that it helped me finish my notebook with French Laid paper with a much nicer experience than any other pen because for once I was actually writing between the ridges in the paper.

Oh and though I am not a fan of the CON-40 converter, it is better than the CON-20 in the sense that at least now I can check my ink level.

In the photos, the green and teal pens are my older 78G (B and BB respectively), the black and the blue are the latest 78G+ (in F and EF respectively).

As a conclusion:

Pro:

- New EF needlepoint

- Con-40 is better than Con-20

- Currently being made from EF to B

- Can easily be bought on Ebay

- New colors

Cons:

- lesser quality

- no more B.B. Stub nibs

- only made for the Chinese market

- actually not that inexpensive to buy when out of China

Hope this was useful!

post-134361-0-82644700-1490545516_thumb.jpg

post-134361-0-49354700-1490545544_thumb.jpg

post-134361-0-48605700-1490545559_thumb.jpg

post-134361-0-19485000-1490545571_thumb.jpg

post-134361-0-11661900-1490545589_thumb.jpg

post-134361-0-45540200-1490545697_thumb.jpg

post-134361-0-27290700-1490545753_thumb.jpg

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Inkantadora

• cleosmama

• T4TEXAS

Thanks. Very helpful. Makes me reluctant to buy a new style. What are they going for on eBay?

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Thanks for taking the time to do this! Your descriptions of the quality differences confirmed what I had feared...anything marketed for a Chinese market usually means cheaper materials for a lower price. Ironically, however,this pen actually costs more than the old 78G in China!

I've got to ask...what ink did you use for the Pilot 78G BB writing sample? It's a gorgeous teal! :drool:

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Thank you for the review! Personally, it's a way for me to get a 78G with a Medium nib (our local distributor no longer sells it) but the price is a small concern. I don't think I like it enough to not just get a Metropolitan (it's about the same price as the 78G+ locally).

It's good that your Fine and EF pens work well. I have the old model Fine and it does skip more than I'd want—although it may also be my writing angle.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Thank you for the review! Personally, it's a way for me to get a 78G with a Medium nib (our local distributor no longer sells it) but the price is a small concern. I don't think I like it enough to not just get a Metropolitan (it's about the same price as the 78G+ locally).

It's good that your Fine and EF pens work well. I have the old model Fine and it does skip more than I'd want—although it may also be my writing angle.

The Metropolitan is definitely better in the quality department, but I just can't stand them because of that big sharp step between the barrel and the section. Totally uncomfortable to write with no matter what grasp I use. 78G/78g+ have that somewhat cheap plastic feel but they fit the hand nicely. Also the nib on my Metropolitan was scratchier than any of my 78Gs.

Thanks. Very helpful. Makes me reluctant to buy a new style. What are they going for on eBay?

Too much. They cost as much as a Metropolitan. I LOVE my EF nib and it fits better in my tiny hands, and the plastic looks more discreet than the metal for my husband (he like to have people listen to his words and not be distracted by his appearance/ accessories especially at work which is when he uses the pen).

I bought ours for about 18€. There were less expensive ones available, only one sold the EF and shipped to France so that narrowed my options.

Here is the link:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Arrivals-NAMIKI-Pilot-78G-Fountain-Pen-Screw-Cap-22K-Gold-EF-Nib-4-Colors-/391705362441?var=&hash=item5b33758009%3Am%3Am010_7F8FP_SpwAMpGdPV2g&_trkparms=pageci%253Ae31401b3-12b1-11e7-b592-74dbd180da1e%257Cparentrq%253A0e54c6ab15b0a2af08559d0bfff870b6%257Ciid%253A1

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

Thanks for taking the time to do this! Your descriptions of the quality differences confirmed what I had feared...anything marketed for a Chinese market usually means cheaper materials for a lower price. Ironically, however,this pen actually costs more than the old 78G in China!

I've got to ask...what ink did you use for the Pilot 78G BB writing sample? It's a gorgeous teal! :drool:

De Atramentis Plum. I LOVE this ink that I am a bit sad since I finished my sample and am simply waiting to get a few other priority purchases done to buy a bottle. It is well behaved and the color is dreamy. Edited by Inkantadora

Try cleaning it well and using a brass sheet between the twines. It has always solved the problem with my 78G pens. Usually the twines are pinched to closely together out at purchase.

The Metropolitan is definitely better in the quality department, but I just can't stand them because of that big sharp step between the barrel and the section. Totally uncomfortable to write with no matter what grasp I use. 78G/78g+ have that somewhat cheap plastic feel but they fit the hand nicely. Also the nib on my Metropolitan was scratchier than any of my 78Gs.

Same here!

De Atramentis Plum. I LOVE this ink that I am a bit sad since I finished my sample and am simply waiting to get a few other priority purchases done to buy a bottle. It is well behaved and the color is dreamy.

Interesting... I would have guessed it was Sailor Yama-dori. Great color and shading!!

I can't believe I forgot to ask... How does the 78g+ F nib compare to the old 78g? Are they the same smoothness?

One of my old 78g F nibs died, so I'm trying to decide between getting another 78g or going for the new one.

I can't believe I forgot to ask... How does the 78g+ F nib compare to the old 78g? Are they the same smoothness?

One of my old 78g F nibs died, so I'm trying to decide between getting another 78g or going for the new one.

Unfortunately I had only tried the B and BB before. The only reason I went for a F nib this type was because I was not sure which my husband would prefer... though the nib is quute smooth considering how fine it is. Even my EF is smooth with just a tad of much appreciated feedback. Wish I could tell you more.

The way you describe it sounds a lot like the F nib on the old 78g. Good to know. I like the 78g so much, but prefer the nice cobalt blue color available for the 78g+.

Thanks for a very helpful review. Despite having lots of more expensive pens I am using my f nib old 78g a lot right now - the nib is just excellent. Are the new nibs on a par with the old?

I really like the new colours :)

Just ordered the blue 78G+ with a medium nib. Let's see how it compares to the old 78G!

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered the blue 78G+ with a medium nib. Let's see how it compares to the old 78G!

Rather than pay shipping on Ebay, you can use China's Amazon (no fee required) Ali Express, and pay about $19 per pen. You can also find the old 78G B and maybe a BB (also on Amazon for $20, last time I checked, and if you've paid their fee, you might could get free shipping).

But hot off the presses; on Alibaba, you'll also discover both EF and F Wings nibs (Wing Sun mfr?) claiming to be gold plate that will fit these pens (and several Chinese brands) for about $8---which is right for gold plate. Of course, they'll fit and are probably worth swapping in the Pilot Metro which is Pilot 88G in China (and not cheap on Ali).

One of life's little ironies: if I'd just stuck with Pilot 78Gs and now G+s, I'd probably have an almost perfect range of nibs with exactly the spring and wetness I like and have saved... er, um... lots and lots of $ that I've spent on pens that are often prettier, heavier, more beautifully finished, more prestigious to whip out my pocket, but that write only just as well but more often than not inferior to these cheapies.

Oh well, I'm hooked now.

• 9 months later...

Too much. They cost as much as a Metropolitan. I LOVE my EF nib and it fits better in my tiny hands, and the plastic looks more discreet than the metal for my husband (he like to have people listen to his words and not be distracted by his appearance/ accessories especially at work which is when he uses the pen).

I bought ours for about 18€. There were less expensive ones available, only one sold the EF and shipped to France so that narrowed my options.

Here is the link:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Arrivals-NAMIKI-Pilot-78G-Fountain-Pen-Screw-Cap-22K-Gold-EF-Nib-4-Colors-/391705362441?var=&hash=item5b33758009%3Am%3Am010_7F8FP_SpwAMpGdPV2g&_trkparms=pageci%253Ae31401b3-12b1-11e7-b592-74dbd180da1e%257Cparentrq%253A0e54c6ab15b0a2af08559d0bfff870b6%257Ciid%253A1

I just ordered 4 of the 78G+ in EF, one of each different color and ALSO 3 of the 78G+ in FINE, one in blue, one in red and one in black.

Edited by Donald2