Help! Justify Why This Pen Is Expensive?

Been looking for a large full flex fountain pen with a large nib.

Came across this on eBay . It's a vintage mabie Todd swan, 14 k No 6 swan nib. Which is very flexible if you look at the pictures...

I have done some research and have found a lot of the mabie todd swan vintage pens go for almost half the price..

Is there something I'm missing about this pen?

I really like it and would be willing to buy it, but just wanna make sure I'm not doing something stupid. The nib seems to be unique to this pen?? I haven't seen another mabie Todd swan with the same nib? Correct me if I'm wrong?

Anyways what's the go with the price??

Auction is ending in 6 hours so quick responses would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance ..

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Gorgeous-Huge-Vintage-SWAN-Mabie-Todd-Leverless-Fountain-Pen-14k-Flex-Nib-/122404830652?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marty000

• Sandy1

• ReadyFireAim

• mitto

Not a propper place to ask such questions. Post your query in Fountain & Dip Pens sub forum. Or you may post in the Mabie Todd Research/Special Interest Forum/Group.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. The asking price should be what the seller decides is fair, not what the buyer wishes was fair.

My Website

Understand that some items may have higher demand than other items. But after searching around I cannot find why this pen is almost triple of what other similar mabie Todd swan pens are priced at..

simply put, from your perspective is there anything special about this pen I'm missing?

A "wet noodle" pen can be worth $500 If it has huge line variation, light pressure, great snap-back and ink delivery.

It might even look like a truck ran over it but if it writes like that :wub:

Nobody can figure out how to reproduce these special pens.

They just happen somehow and are cherished & ultra valuable.

Edited by Bordeaux146

A "wet noodle" pen can be worth $500 If it has huge line variation, light pressure, great snap-back and ink delivery.

It might even look like a truck ran over it but if it writes like that :wub:

Nobody can figure out how to reproduce these special pens.

They just happen somehow and are cherished & ultra valuable.

Thanks, good reply.

Sorry for the incorrect forum post. Just joined literally 30 mins ago. Thought i would just leave it since people were responding..

The problem is that you can only see line variation on ebay

The other 3 things require more information than writing on paper.

You could see snap-back and ink delivery if the seller posted a video.

Pressure and feedback is something only you can feel.

You would have to trust the seller if can't try the pen out in person.

:W2FPN:

Hi,

Cost?

Look at the keywords:

• № 6 nib, which is exceptionally large, hence a rarity/collector's item.
  • Flexi
  • Oversize
  • Restored

Then there's the Vendor:

• 100% positive feedback
  • Their other offerings are restored vintage [flexi] pens - no watches or rope.

And the quantity of Bidders. Given the USD:GBP exchange rate, I would not be surprised if stateside bidders find such a pen to be a bargain.

I'd be interested in the actual selling price.

__

Personally, if looking for a flexi nib pen, I'd look for one that's common, hence less of a collector's item from a Vendor who knows how to set-up the nib+feed. (My favourite flexi is Waterman's 52 1/2V.)

__

Oh, as to which forum? Anyone can ask a Mod to shift a Topic to a more appropriate/relevant Forum.

(I troll by New Content, so the specific Forum is irrelevant - I have yet to be banned from posting in the Handwriting/Penmanship Forum. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks guys. Ima give it a shot in a few hours . See if I can get it.. If it turns out bad I can just resell it..

Hi,

Just a quick follow-up:

The final price was GBP230, approx USD287; and the Winner was k***k who has a history of zero transactions, so we might see this pen on offer again if k***k doesn't follow-thru.

Bye,

S1

Furry*fiend has sold a number of pens at higher prices. Also E-bay has been selling pens at unusually high prices e.g. a Parker Moderne in greenish colours has sold for over £100 and it wasn't even listed as a Parker pen.

Edited by peterg

Sorry to be late to the party.

I will pile on with agreement with other posts.

Number 6 Swan nibs are very rare and would get a good price in any pen

The pen itself is exceptionally clean - bands and cap have minimal to zero brassing.

And flexible nibs are really selling well these days.

Granted I collect Swans, and therefore value Swans, but I think that this was a very reasonable price given all the wonderful features of the pen.

A very similar looking pen with a #2 nib and a just a little bit of wear would be about 1/3 the price.

That's great news. Looks like a made a good purchase in that case. I'll be sure to update with a writing sample and video when I receive it!

Sorry to be late to the party.

I will pile on with agreement with other posts.

Number 6 Swan nibs are very rare and would get a good price in any pen

The pen itself is exceptionally clean - bands and cap have minimal to zero brassing.

And flexible nibs are really selling well these days.

Granted I collect Swans, and therefore value Swans, but I think that this was a very reasonable price given all the wonderful features of the pen.

A very similar looking pen with a #2 nib and a just a little bit of wear would be about 1/3 the price.

Hi,

Many thanks!

While I have an acquaintance with vintage pens, I certainly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience, especially with such an uncommon pen :)

Bye,

S1

Yes as Greenie has pointed out No 6 Swans are quite rare (they were costly when new), people like flexible nibs and happily this one is not an Eternal as many 6s were.

I know this seller and am quite certain that the pen will be excellent.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

I will observe that less notable makers can still produce excellent nibs. The bargains are to be found amid the obscurities these days.

That's great news. Looks like a made a good purchase in that case. I'll be sure to update with a writing sample and video when I receive it!

Please! I would love to see a writing sample when you get the pen. :)