Mb Legrand All That And A Bag Of Chips?

MrsCookSC

So, I purchased my first MontBlanc and it arrived today. I inked it with MB Lavender Purple... grabbed my Rhodia tablet and took it for a test drive... with each stroke of the pen... my disappointment increased... the pen has quite a bit of feedback... it didn't glide across the paper like all the rave reviews touted... finally, the pen had leaked and I had ink stains on three fingers.

Did I get a dud? My TWSBI writes so much better than the MB.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erik Dalton

• Mastiff

• tommym

• MrsCookSC

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. I would suggest sending it straight back to MB for a replacement. Nib replacement is valid for 6 weeks and the warranty would be for 2 years (or was it 1-I cant remember as I never had to resort to this option). Hope to hear about your pen again.

What you are experiencing is not normal. A 146 is a wonderful pen that will give you a lifetime of use. Approach the seller for an exchange or send it back to Montblanc.

I have 20 + Montblanc pens and have never seen what you are experiencing. Don't try to mess with it yourself. Send it back and get yourself a new pen.

Thank you foryour response... I have wanted a MB for the longest time... kinda like wanting a BMW so you can understand my disappointment. I'm like why spend $500 for a MB that writes like a $5 throw-a-way when I have a $60 TWSBI that writes like a $500 pen.

LOL...at least you've kept your sense of humor. Stay on this and I'm sure you will have a good outcome ...good luck. Keep us posted.

You never say where you got your pen from or it is was new. You could have gotten a broken used pen. I'd go back to the seller. If you want to keep the pen then see if they will cover the MB service costs.

Obviously of you have a new pen it should go immediately back to MB for replacement.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You never say where you got your pen from or it is was new. You could have gotten a broken used pen. I'd go back to the seller. If you want to keep the pen then see if they will cover the MB service costs.

Obviously of you have a new pen it should go immediately back to MB for replacement.

This. :)

Unfortunately I would have to agree with many here. Your description is really not enough for us to help out.

For one, I have many Montblanc's in my collection because at the end of the day, despite their astronomical price, they do a few things that really resonate with me. Their ability to service the pens, the choice of nibs they offer, and also the designs they offer that cover quite a wide gamut.

When someone says "smooth" as a way to describe the writing characteristics of their grail pen, I really would want to know more why they landed on this particular word. If you were to want a more expensive smooth writing pen, Montblanc is not the brand that would immediately spring to mind.

I bought my MB 146 new from a MB Boutique and it had quite a bit of feedback - however it was an ef nib so it wasn't a shocking surprise to me. I'm not afraid to tinker so (after owning it for 6 months or so) I got my micromesh out and (slowly) smoothed it out and now it writes like a dream!

Point being - I think MB makes a wonderful pen but any pen may need some tweaking to meet your writing preferences.

...snip...

Point being - I think MB makes a wonderful pen but any pen may need some tweaking to meet your writing preferences.

and THAT is the definitive answer to dozens of threads, flames, and trolls, all expecting individual perfection out of the box from every pen they touch. Thank you Mike :D I wholeheartedly agree with you.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

and THAT is the definitive answer to dozens of threads, flames, and trolls, all expecting individual perfection out of the box from every pen they touch. Thank you Mike :D I wholeheartedly agree with you.

+ 1 on that. So true 👍

I always add a $100 Masuyama "tax" to every pen purchase.

Well said. I've used Mottishaw in the past but now do my own and work on others as well. But when I buy my new Sailor King of Pens I'm going to have him do the tuning. You either learn how to tune your nibs or have someone do it. Pens just don't come perfect these days.

I always add a $100 Masuyama "tax" to every pen purchase.

I always assume that too, and price that into any pens that I buy.

Tommy

Unfortunately I would have to agree with many here. Your description is really not enough for us to help out.

For one, I have many Montblanc's in my collection because at the end of the day, despite their astronomical price, they do a few things that really resonate with me. Their ability to service the pens, the choice of nibs they offer, and also the designs they offer that cover quite a wide gamut.

When someone says "smooth" as a way to describe the writing characteristics of their grail pen, I really would want to know more why they landed on this particular word. If you were to want a more expensive smooth writing pen, Montblanc is not the brand that would immediately spring to mind.

What brand comes to mind? I'm curious.

Thank you foryour response... I have wanted a MB for the longest time... kinda like wanting a BMW so you can understand my disappointment. I'm like why spend $500 for a MB that writes like a $5 throw-a-way when I have a $60 TWSBI that writes like a $500 pen.

You're not too far off base there......

I just sent Mike Masuyama my MB 145 along with my TWSBI 580AL "EF" nib for reference, and asked Mike to match the writing characteristics of the TWSBI "EF" nib.

Tommy

You lucky Americans! I wish I had a local nib technician access. In fact there was one gentleman who did it and now he has moved to the UK..